Why do people write this sort of rpff (real person fan fic)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 6:01 am

OK first of all, for fun I sometimes write RPFF. So I don't condemn it completely. It can be fun to write about celebrities and you never know the real them so it's like you're working with a fictional character anyway - what they present to the world.

That being said...

There are people online who write RPFF about people they actually know...

Smut and/or revenge fantasy...

In the end they always get found out.

I don't get why someone who wanted to write that wouldn't keep it in a locked diary instead of posting it online everywhere. I vaguely get the sense of why they write it but they shouldn't show it to people.

It causes unnecessary drama.

If anyone's tempted on here to do that, don't.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 9:39 am

Revenge fanfic? I guess it's because they couldn't post revenge prons instead.

I've read some real-person (RP) fanfic. It always seems to prominently feature a "Mary Sue" (the writer as protagonist) either: (1) needing to rescue or be recued by the RP, or (2) dominating or being dominated by the RP.

The first ones I read were in high school, back around 1973. The most recent was about a year ago. Except for the names and mention of new technology, it was all the same -- stupid, horny fantasies written by people with no imagination and too much time on their hands.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 9:45 am

Isn't that what all fan fic is like though? The fictional stuff too. And most of the fictional stuff I read is tv so it's still lusting after a real person's body.

Nah, they have g rated (sex wise) fanfic about people getting hurt... disturbing to write that about people you know. Oh well, better than actually hurting them I guess.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 9:54 am

TUF wrote:
... they have g rated (sex wise) fanfic about people getting hurt... disturbing to write that about people you know. Oh well, better than actually hurting them I guess.
Called "Rescue" fanfic. Usually the "Mary Sue" (or the "Harry Lou") rushes in, defuses the bomb, performs the surgery, represents the victim in court, develops the vaccine, pilots the plane, stops the train, and sometimes cures the victim of his/her virginity, all in the first chapter.

As a side note, the smuttish writers often have their characters performing sex acrobatics that would be impossible in the real world.

Sad ... all very sad ... and utterly pointless ...

Link: Origin of the "Mary Sue" character.

Quote:
The name "Mary Sue" comes from the 1974 Star Trek fanfic A Trekkie's Tale. Originally written as a parody of the standard Self-Insert Fic of the time (as opposed to any particular traits), the name was quickly adopted by the Star Trek fanfiction community. Its original meaning mostly held that it was an Always Female Author Avatar, regardless of character role or perceived quality. Often, the characters would get in a relationship with either Kirk or Spock, turn out to have a familial bond with a crew member, be a Half-Human Hybrid masquerading as a human, and die in a graceful, beautiful way to reinforce that the character was Too Good for This Sinful Earth. (Or space, as the case may be.)

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 11:34 am

Fnord wrote:
TUF wrote:
... they have g rated (sex wise) fanfic about people getting hurt... disturbing to write that about people you know. Oh well, better than actually hurting them I guess.
Called "Rescue" fanfic. Usually the "Mary Sue" (or the "Harry Lou") rushes in, defuses the bomb, performs the surgery, represents the victim in court, develops the vaccine, pilots the plane, stops the train, and sometimes cures the victim of his/her virginity, all in the first chapter.

As a side note, the smuttish writers often have their characters performing sex acrobatics that would be impossible in the real world.

Sad ... all very sad ... and utterly pointless ...

Link: Origin of the "Mary Sue" character.

Quote:
The name "Mary Sue" comes from the 1974 Star Trek fanfic A Trekkie's Tale. Originally written as a parody of the standard Self-Insert Fic of the time (as opposed to any particular traits), the name was quickly adopted by the Star Trek fanfiction community. Its original meaning mostly held that it was an Always Female Author Avatar, regardless of character role or perceived quality. Often, the characters would get in a relationship with either Kirk or Spock, turn out to have a familial bond with a crew member, be a Half-Human Hybrid masquerading as a human, and die in a graceful, beautiful way to reinforce that the character was Too Good for This Sinful Earth. (Or space, as the case may be.)

Funny how many men say that...

I don't have an issue with RPFF or fictional FF, I take issue with the notion of kids who seem to think it's ok to write it about their friends being tortured or their crush from school having sex with them.

That's what I'm asking about.

Because that seems to be the sort of thing you keep in your head and don't commit to paper. And in the violent stuff -they shouldn't even be thinking that in their head.

I wonder if the stuff where they do rpff about people they actually know being tortured is a sign of mental illness?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 2:30 pm

If I had to make another guess, it's a way of expressing their darkest thoughts -- a form of "Wish Fulfillment" -- that carries with it some level of plausible deniability. If their friends find out and object, the authors can always tell them that it is a work of fiction and that any resemblance to persons living or dead is coincidental.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 3:35 pm

Ya know it sounds really awful...but Ive seen a lot of authors notes on fictional fanfics where they say some of their writing is based on their real life, so its entirely possible that even if they arent using the real person, they're still projecting someone real onto a character and writing what they want. Using the persons real name only makes it slightly less terrible. This also would imply its much more common than you might think. Real authors tend to base character traits off real people in their lives, theres no reason fanfiction authors wouldnt do the same.

(Also, I never read about sex {seriously who wants to read that its gross!} or extreme violence or revenge or mary sou fics. Theres plenty of nice, well written fics out there that are just like reading a real book, you just happen to know the names of the characters beforehand. None of that weird stuff for me.)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 4:42 pm

I have written myself into fictional universes I was obsessed with.

I have written RPFF about real persons I were kinds obsessed with (girl crush). I did it because I had some daydreams about them I thought were good stories. It wasn't dirty in any way, nor violent. It was just fun to daydream and go on adventures on paper.

I was 10 the first time I started to write one, and in my early 20's the last time.

I see no harm in it. No one even knew I did. I only wrote it in my notebooks that were safely in my room and that no one had any business looking at.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765