Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

cirrus99
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2024, 12:20 pm

Any Rush fans here? I ran a search and was surprised at how little conversation there has been here over the years. Rush is known, fairly or unfairly, as a band that attracts a more "geeky" fan base. I think that has something to do with the erudite and intellectual lyrics, and the complexity of the music itself.

"Subdivisions" would seem to be an anthemic song for those on the spectrum.

I first became aware of Rush with the release of Moving Pictures in 1981. One of my friends at the time (7th grade for me) went nuts over the album and brought it to my house--"you GOTTA hear this!"--where we put it on the record player in the basement and played Atari.

I really liked Limelight--that opening riff grabbed me immediately--but the rest of the album didn't totally "click" at the time, so I didn't buy it. I was aware of, and liked, some of their subsequent singles through the 80s, but again, for whatever reason, I wasn't hooked. In the 90s, I lost track of them.

Fast forward, and for some reason things finally clicked a few years ago, in a major way--long after they stopped touring and their drummer Neil Peart died. Now I count Rush as one of my very favorite rock bands/artists.

My quirk with Rush, however, is that I love 21st-century Rush--Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows, and Clockwork Angels--part of their hard-rock era that began with Counterparts. And I like a number of their songs in their 1980s "synth" era. However, their 1970s prog music doesn't appeal to me. A Rush fan who doesn't care for 2112 and the other prog albums is sacrilegious in Rush fandom, but that's me.

How about you?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Jan 2024, 3:12 pm

I'm mostly familiar with their radio airplay & I like a lot of the songs I've heard. Subdivisions is my fav one but some of it is because of the music instead of the lyrics. I really should get around to listening to more of their stuff. I've heard covers of a few Rush songs & for some reason the covers are done slower & softer so they do not sound as good. Rush covers should not be done like soft-rock.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 4:51 pm

I love RUSH.
The Moving Pictures tour was one of the first concerts I ever saw, back in 1982.

I can't think off-hand which albums I prefer over others, but I love Permanent Waves, Signals, and Moving Pictures.
I've also been to the real Lakeside Park.

:heart: