Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

d057
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 10:59 pm

Have any of you read Franz Kafka's "The Metamorphosis?" I read it in my World Literature class this spring semester and had to write a paper about it. It was absurdly grotesque alright!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 2:57 pm

I'm a big fan of Kafka, and about everything of his that I've read, so far. I very much like that quality of experiencing a disturbing dream, along with that absurd dream logic that he could spin.
If you're new to Kafka, I'd suggest you also look In The Penal Colony, The Hunger Artist, and Josephine The Singer, Or The Mouse People, just to name a few. Admittedly, I found wading through The Trial to be something of a chore, but others seem to like it.
Not to sound like an ass plugging myself (or maybe I am), I used The Metamorphosis as a jumping off point for the first story I had published, called The Gregor Samsa Appreciation Society.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 3:23 pm

Yes I have enjoyed Kafka in the past. Been a long time since I read Metamorphosis.

I love Orson Welles adaption of The Trial. His take on it is that Joseph K is guilty of nothing morevthsn feeling guilty. I also adore Anthony Perkins.

I read the book as well and got a little more out of it, although, I think it's in pieces as Kafka died before completing it.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 7:14 pm

Oooh. I liked Kafka when I was a (weird) kid.
The 2009 Japanese short Animation of A Country Doctor is fantastic, and the Michael Haneke Film of The Castle was like Haneke had taken my mental images and put them on screen!
(The Castle is also my favourite if Kafka's books).

Incidentally, I'm not a fan of the Orson Welles one. It's not the right kind of weird... It's basically German Expressionist Cinema, also known as 'Tim Burton style'.
And although Kafka is expressionistic, I think the style doesn't fit.
Or rather, Welles only translated things visually, but the montage and everything is pretty standard.
One can't say that of the 'Country Doctor' animation.