Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 9:33 am

I nearly peeled my eyeballs while reading Anthropology texts, so I'm glad I've met people who can make it more interesting.

I also disliked Tolkien and I've never liked Atwood. I actually debated with her in Uni.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 10:03 am

Any "Fanfic": They usually feature an obvious "Mary Sue" and sexual exploits that are impossible to replicate in the real world.

Any self-published anthology of rambling emo freeverse: How many different ways can one person describe how bleak and hopeless they perceive their life to be? At last count, about five volumes worth...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MS DO
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jun 2019, 2:05 am

I think - 50 Shades of Grey :D
I expected more than I received.
I travel the world and it is important for me to read books that inspire me to visit new places.
I can advise you a book - "Eat, Pray, Love", the best book for a traveler!
By the way, if you are interested, I started blogging at com/ there are only 3 articles so far, but it will be important for me to know your opinion.

Last edited by B19 on 14 Nov 2019, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.: spammer

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2019, 7:06 pm

The Long Fall by Ilene Dover?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2019, 9:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
Any "Fanfic": They usually feature an obvious "Mary Sue" and sexual exploits that are impossible to replicate in the real world.

The 50 Shades Trilogy began as Twilight fanfic, so you are right because whoever believed fanfic would make a great bestseller was not in the right mindset.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 12:37 pm

I think it was those Sweet Valley High books that my mom once got me for Christmas when I was a teenager. Although I only tried to read one of them, but I couldn't stand it and I don't even remember whatever it was I did read.

I had quite a few joke books when I was a kid, and joke books for kids are usually really dumb and corny at best, but others at worst are just plain awful, especially when the jokes are about a currently popular character, or video games ans computers. But they were all much better than Sweet Valley High.

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 6:10 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I nearly peeled my eyeballs while reading Anthropology texts, so I'm glad I've met people who can make it more interesting.

The stuff I've been made to read for some of my humanities courses has been pretty painful, especially for anthropology and sociology. They seem to use up multiple pages of strange verbiage expressing something that could be encapsulated in a single paragraph.

But probably the worst thing I've ever read was a math textbook that managed to be both egotistical and condescending while also not effectively explaining the ideas it was supposed to convey. I call it "The Obfuscation of Machine Learning."

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 6:37 pm

la_fenkis wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

The stuff I've been made to read for some of my humanities courses has been pretty painful, especially for anthropology and sociology. They seem to use up multiple pages of strange verbiage expressing something that could be encapsulated in a single paragraph.

But probably the worst thing I've ever read was a math textbook that managed to be both egotistical and condescending while also not effectively explaining the ideas it was supposed to convey. I call it "The Obfuscation of Machine Learning."

My sympathies. Carbon dating nearly did me in.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 2:23 pm

I've read many things i hated (most of them classics whoops) but Metamorphosis by Kafka and a little Prince were particularly overrated i think.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 8:08 pm

Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 4:22 pm

I am embarrassed to say that haven't read enough, especially fiction, to come up with things I hate that much.

But yeah there is that one book.

"Thirty Years in Tibet" (or some number of years in Tibet, I forget).

Austria merges with Germany and becomes part of Hitler's Third Reich. A young Austrian mountaineer ends up in the German Army, and then as a POW of the Brits, housed in camp in British India. But the site of the Himalayas beyond the barbed wire call to his mountaineering instincts. He leads an daring escape. Flees British India, for the mountians, and treks into remote recesses of central Asia, and becomes a permanent house guest in the palace of the Dalai Lama ruler of Tibet. A novelist couldn't have invented a better premise for an adventure story! But the author of the memoir , and his "leaden writing style" (in the words of a critic), managed to make it too boring to read after a few pages.

The movie adaptation was quite good though.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 10:07 pm

Every book I was ever assigned in school

Just some of them

The Great Gatsby
To Kill A Mockingbird
Catcher In The Rye
All Quiet On The Western Front
The Giver
Romeo And Juliet
Lord Of The Flies
and Lord Of The Rings/The Hobbit

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 1:25 pm

The Qu’ran is my new #1, and I’m only 100 pages in, not yet to the worst parts.

It’s the most vile thing I’ve ever read. I’m eager to continue reading it. It’s like a train wreck. One can’t help but look.

As an aside, some of the books mentioned on this list are among my favorites.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 1:44 pm

I was going to reply by saying "The Mormon Bible" because it is soo off track and out of kilt to the ordinary Bible and does not have the Holy Spirit flowing through it when I saw what you put about the Islamic bible.

I don't want to dissrespect other peoples beliefs but when I read some of their scriptures, they are just dead and done tie in with each other. There is no flow.

I asked my Mum the same question and she said "Dennis Weeklys". She went right into the occult and was well into witchcraft etc in her teens and early 20's and had so many issues. Heads you down wrong paths and avenues.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 2:13 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I was going to reply by saying "The Mormon Bible" because it is soo off track and out of kilt to the ordinary Bible and does not have the Holy Spirit flowing through it when I saw what you put about the Islamic bible.

I don't want to dissrespect other peoples beliefs but when I read some of their scriptures, they are just dead and done tie in with each other. There is no flow.

I asked my Mum the same question and she said "Dennis Weeklys". She went right into the occult and was well into witchcraft etc in her teens and early 20's and had so many issues. Heads you down wrong paths and avenues.

There’s nice stuff in the Qu’ran but there’s vile wickedness, too. Helpful advice: like pay back someone’s sins against you in like manner as well as a passage that seems to condone marital rape. 8O

And I just started it.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 10:58 pm

The Hero with a thousand faces.

A very thick book that tries to show some deeper connection between all human imaginations, which sets out with this premise and tries very hard to make myths from all over the world follow a certain pattern.
But it's full of wild inaccuracies and conjecture. George Lucas was obsessed with it - and I guess, it's fine if you read only a summary, and create a fun fairy tale for kids based on the pattern laid out by the book.
But the author confused me more than once with his very strange interpretations.
(Did you know that every event of fire-making in any myth from anywhere in the world is always a symbol for the sex act, and the flame represents the child that results from it?)