Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 10:58 pm

The Hero with a thousand faces.

A very thick book that tries to show some deeper connection between all human imaginations, which sets out with this premise and tries very hard to make myths from all over the world follow a certain pattern.
But it's full of wild inaccuracies and conjecture. George Lucas was obsessed with it - and I guess, it's fine if you read only a summary, and create a fun fairy tale for kids based on the pattern laid out by the book.
But the author confused me more than once with his very strange interpretations.
(Did you know that every event of fire-making in any myth from anywhere in the world is always a symbol for the sex act, and the flame represents the child that results from it?)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2019, 2:47 am

shlaifu wrote:
The Hero with a thousand faces.

A very thick book that tries to show some deeper connection between all human imaginations, which sets out with this premise and tries very hard to make myths from all over the world follow a certain pattern.
But it's full of wild inaccuracies and conjecture. George Lucas was obsessed with it - and I guess, it's fine if you read only a summary, and create a fun fairy tale for kids based on the pattern laid out by the book.
But the author confused me more than once with his very strange interpretations.
(Did you know that every event of fire-making in any myth from anywhere in the world is always a symbol for the sex act, and the flame represents the child that results from it?)

I watched Joseph Campbell's series on PBS, and while I did in fact enjoy it, I disagreed with him 90% of the time.