Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 5:02 pm

First Twilight book (boring that the word "boring" would be an understatement)

50 Shades of Grey (I couldn't get past the first chapter, book was poorly written)

The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown is IMO, a hack)

Battlefield Earth (no explanation needed)

Naked Came The Stranger (no explanation needed)

Left Behind (No characters were likeable, they only used their shared Christian faith as an excuse to save only other Christians and no one else)

Tech War (Hard to believe this POS was written by William Shatner)

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 7:19 pm

the house of spirits by isabel allende . assigned in class. felt like was reading a third tier online fiction before internet was invented .

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 12:10 am

Everyone's going to string me up for this, but Stephen King's It. Everyone keeps telling me how much they loved this book, but I could never get through it because reading it would literally put me to sleep! I did like the parts about the kids, but as adults, I found them all insufferably one dimensional.
Now, I await the blasphemy charges.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2019, 12:18 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Everyone's going to string me up for this, but Stephen King's It. Everyone keeps telling me how much they loved this book, but I could never get through it because reading it would literally put me to sleep! I did like the parts about the kids, but as adults, I found them all insufferably one dimensional.

Stephen King isn't a perfect writer. He comes up with great ideas, but his executions are often quite poor. I'd go as far as to say the majority of movie adaptations of his work are objectively better than the source material.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 12:29 am

PurpleReject wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Stephen King isn't a perfect writer. He comes up with great ideas, but his executions are often quite poor. I'd go as far as to say the majority of movie adaptations of his work are objectively better than the source material.

While King has hit quite a few literary home runs, I agree others stink to the high heaven. I personally believe that's because he is Stephen King, and therefore can get anything published. Long gone are the days where he would get substandard work rejected by a publisher.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 12:31 am

The Handmaid's Tale
Most books by Jane Austen

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2019, 12:43 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
While King has hit quite a few literary home runs, I agree others stink to the high heaven. I personally believe that's because he is Stephen King, and therefore can get anything published. Long gone are the days where he would get substandard work rejected by a publisher.

Considering that many of his books - flawed or otherwise - have served as the basis for some of my favorite movies, I can forgive him for whatever he may publish. Even if he releases a terrible book nowadays, there's always the chance it'll eventually make a great movie or mini-series. :P

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 12:45 am

PurpleReject wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Considering that many of his books - flawed or otherwise - have served as the basis for some of my favorite movies, I can forgive him for whatever he may publish. Even if he releases a terrible book nowadays, there's always the chance it'll eventually make a great movie or mini-series. :P

That is absolutely true.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 2:19 pm

I’m actually having trouble coming up with books that I’ve hated.

I guess that I didn’t care for Tarzan because of the overt racism.

I found some books hard to read because of sad endings or edgy subject matter, but I still felt that they had a place and a purpose. Some books in this category are extremely important, like the Diary of Anne Frank. I’ve continued to be haunted by it.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 2:43 pm

Knut Hamsun: Victoria

Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet
The tempest

Steinbeck: Of mice and men

DNF the latter 3. All the above was read for school. They were all very boring.

I find Stephen King to be hit or miss. I was bored by Needful things (DNF) and Cujo. OTOH, I love Pet Sematary and Firestarter.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 2:50 pm

A book of blank sheets of paper.
However, think of the potential!

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 9:25 pm

The one that sticks out the most in my mind would have to be Eldest. I really enjoyed reading Eragon, but Eldest literally bored me to tears. It was so boring that I never bothered to finish it to this day. Apparently, I'm not the only one who finds it to be the weakest book in the series either. Others were just more willing to stick it out all the way through.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 10:38 pm

A book called shibumi by a guy called trevanian.
Could have been a good book. Not sure if it's racism, classism, sexism, some idea of inherent genetic superiority, or what to call it, exactly, but it invaded every page of the book and really got in the way of an otherwise decent stort.
I usually don't finish books if I don't like them, so trying to come up with the worst book I've ever read is difficult.
I think the only reason I finished that one is probably the same reason that people stare at car wrecks.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 1:50 pm

Both books I've read by Alex Sinclair (Tell Me No Lies and The Day I Lost You) were very boring. While not the very worst books I've read, they deserve to be mentioned in this list.

As does the only book I've read by Kerry Wilkinson, Last night.

Never reading these authors again. Thrillers? As if! Thank heavens for authors like B.A. Paris, C.L. Taylor, Shari Lapena, and Alex Lake, who all know how to write exciting thrillers!

As for books in series that disappointed, I found the the 5th Harry Potter book to be a drag. I also far preferred the first 4 books to the last 3.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 4:23 pm

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks. Boring af and the main character is a college girl who acts like a 4 year old.

The Joy Luck Club. Good luck remembering the characters since they all have 3 letter first and last names. Even if you do, it's still boring af.

treefiddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2019, 12:59 pm

There's this book called "The Complete Book of Rules: Time-tested secrets for capturing the heart of Mr Right" which gives girls advice on how to act in order to attract a man; basically don't be yourself :roll:

there's a chapter in it called "Never call him and rarely return his calls"! ! :lol: It's so ridiculous. My old landlord and I used to get high, read it out to each other and laugh