Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 4:22 pm

I was brought up almost not to like music. I mean... My dad wasn't into music as he was a little tone deaf. I did play the violin in my youth but gave it up after about 6 years as I would have had to take exams and everything was geared towards classical music which I didn't like. Neither did I want to take exams. For me music was about playing it. Not exams! Also I had been patiently aaiting to be tauhht how to play the styles and things that I wanted to play and it just didn't happen. I gave it up. I had to miss geography to have lessons. I loved geography.
But as my dad didn't like music, usually top of the pops on tv or any bands were turned to another channel. Where I really had some lovely music was at the local fair which used to come down in June. I think it was June 12th which was fair day. The music I heard was from the likes of Blondie and things that were popular in the late 1970's to early 1980's. It dissapointed me later that they were not playing Blondie and the others, as I had associated this music with the bumpercars. (Where the music was played). To me, it was Bumpercar Music. :)

Now when we moved up the hill from the village below I had to habe school transport so we had to get up early. We had a minibus which collected variojs kiddies to take us to the big bus which took us to school and dropped us off about 30 to 40 minutes early as they had to take some kids to a further school which was a Welsh speaking school. (Ours was for English speaking pupils, though we all had to take Welsh until we were about 14 and I was hopeless at languages so as soon as I could I dropped it. I had dropped French by going down two sets as I had miserably failed my French exam and the class above the remedials didn't take French. All the other subjects suffered. (Two of us were supposed to be put back up in the origional high flyer typw classes. The other yojng man was, but the head of year died at just 43 years of age who was handling it, and for the rest of the year we had no head of year, so I had a year of lessons I found were so easy there was no challenge and during the exams I had marks in the high 80% or well into the 90's. One exam was 98%. (I even had 68% in Welsh so it goes to show how easy the work was).
Now during this time they played the radio on the school busses. I got to hear music from around 1986 to 1988 when I then left school.
It wasn't that at home we didn't hear music at all, as we had a record player, but when my dad got home from work he wanted the TV on (As he was tired from work) so we couldn't play any. He was also not into top of the pops, and some of the bands they put on I can't blame him! Apart from that we only had a few records. Records were generally a once a year purchase as they were expensive compared to our pocket money, and I was into trains, so mainly trains or toy cars I would save to get.

Now fast forward to the last few years and youtube, and I habe access to listen to some fantastic sounds on my tablet. My i terests are quite varied but selective at the same time. I have never been into fasion at all. So some music I didn't bother with in my youth because of that, but wow I missed out. One really really AMAZING singer has to be Cyndi Lauper. I had heard two or three of her popular hits, but some of the less popular ones... WOW! There are the ocdasional one or two (Very few) I am not so keen on. But in general WOW. The way she can sing! And her early years of being with the band "Blue Angels" were something special. They must have been rather tough years for her and those around her. Twice she was told she would never sing again and once I have heard that she had to stop singing for a year due to this. She is a total miriacle! And she is still out there singing!

Others I love like Blondie... And take a look at this... An example of what I call "Bumpercar Music" is this:

https://youtu.be/ASwge9wc-eI

Also, I love 50's to 60's do wop music. Especially when the bands bend notes. Ooh... The Angelettes with "My Darlin" which I find hauntingly beautiful. At first one thinks "What the..." but it grows on you and you realize the sounds and voices are just absolutely perfectly and precisely slightly off pitch and it is absolutely fantastically perfect to pull it off! It is nothing short of AMAZING!

https://youtu.be/04lTKKsFknU

And to find such gems like this brings tears to my eyes! AMAZING!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 4:34 pm

How about "Northern Soul"?

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 4:37 pm

. ?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 4:43 pm

Here is one I love.

https://youtu.be/DTlPviTKYMQ

Now that is a fun one Cyndi did.

What is Northern Soul?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 4:45 pm

I cant get that link Olliechan. I would have to open a google account and a googleplay to update youtube to get it. What is the song called? Then I can find it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 5:04 pm

"Northern Soul" is a scene, primarily in places like Leeds and Newcastle, where 60's soul music is predominant in clubs.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 5:09 pm

I'm sorry if I'm derailing, but this twists my knot:

Rosie Langley is the violinist for ELO.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 5:20 pm

ELO is Electro-Soul :)

People into Northern Soul tend to be into semi-obscure soul acts from the 1960s. They usually don't care as much for groups like the Temptations, the Four Tops, or people like Otis Redding--because they were too popular.

The Tams is a group Northern Soul people tend to like. They're the ones who did "What Kind of Fool Do You Think I am?"

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 5:35 pm

Umm. I can't seem to play any of the youtube films here that look like a picture but I can play them if they look like a link. It keeps saying I must update youtube, which puts me to google play where I would need to sign up to google to get it. Not sure how to bypass it yet to see them.

Did anyone see the Angelettes link? Did it grow on you?

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 May 2019, 6:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
"Northern Soul" is a scene, primarily in places like Leeds and Newcastle, where 60's soul music is predominant in clubs.

I love Northern Soul. There's a huge crossover with early reggae and ska, which all were favored by British Mods and Skins in the '60s. Down here in LA, we have a few clubs with DJs who exclusively spin '60s soul and reggae.