Billie Eilish is another level of alternative.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2019, 7:08 pm

She is unusual to say the least.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 12:04 pm

How so? She just looks like a pop star only on more xanax.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2019, 8:33 am

funeralxempire wrote:

Her lyrics and videos are so unusual.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 9:10 am

KikiKitty678 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Are they Primus or Mr. Bungle level of unusual? Those are old bands, so if she's not as weird as them, she's hardly groundbreaking at all.

She can be 'hardly groundbreaking' and still good, but there's a lot less room for being both weird and original, since most of the ways you have be weird have been done over and over again.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2019, 10:09 am

I like Billie Eilish, but she isn't particularly unusual/unconventional by alternative/indie standards. That said, I don't really understand the point in comparing her to funk metal bands like Primus and Mr. Bungle, that's silly.

tbh, Eilish's atmosphere/vibe really reminds me of some of the trip hop music from the 90s and 00s. For example,

That said, obviously she's really an alternative R&B artist, and her style isn't really anything new, though I do like how she does it. The most obvious comparison might be FKA twigs, who I'm betting was an influence:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2019, 10:35 am

Amebix wrote:
I like Billie Eilish, but she isn't particularly unusual/unconventional by alternative/indie standards. That said, I don't really understand the point in comparing her to funk metal bands like Primus and Mr. Bungle, that's silly.

They set the standard for weird alternative. If she's 'another level of alternative', by definition, she needs to be on or above their level of weirdness. There's other weird groups within alternative, but I picked two that are highly visible because picking more obscure bands wouldn't make my point any better.

Would you prefer to use Bjork as an example instead of Primus? My basic point would remain.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2019, 10:46 am

funeralxempire wrote:
They set the standard for weird alternative.

I wouldn't say that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2019, 11:12 am

Amebix wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
They set the standard for weird alternative.

I wouldn't say that.

No-wave was a whole 'nother level of obscure, although you're right that it's weirder. Even Devo came to mind as another 'weird, alternative' band to name on par with the ones I picked, but this is missing the point unless now we're just hijacking the thread to name bands weirder than Billie Eilish. You're supporting my main point that she's not very 'out there' unless compared to other pop stars.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2019, 12:08 pm

That's true, fair enough.

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2019, 4:52 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
KikiKitty678 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Are they Primus or Mr. Bungle level of unusual? Those are old bands, so if she's not as weird as them, she's hardly groundbreaking at all.

She can be 'hardly groundbreaking' and still good, but there's a lot less room for being both weird and original, since most of the ways you have be weird have been done over and over again.

On a side note, I just have to say that I never thought I would ever meet anyone else outside of my group of friends who was familiar with Mr. Bungle.

Mr. Bungle: the only band who could go to something called the Bizarre Festival and the audience was like "what the f___?" :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2019, 4:59 pm

Luhluhluh wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
KikiKitty678 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

On a side note, I just have to say that I never thought I would ever meet anyone else outside of my group of friends who was familiar with Mr. Bungle.

Mr. Bungle: the only band who could go to something called the Bizarre Festival and the audience was like "what the f___?" :lol:

I'm surprised that pretty much every job I've had there's been someone who likes Mr. Bungle and asks me about them. It's not surprising in the car factory I work in, but it's happened in places with like 20-30 coworkers too.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2019, 5:30 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I'm surprised that pretty much every job I've had there's been someone who likes Mr. Bungle and asks me about them. It's not surprising in the car factory I work in, but it's happened in places with like 20-30 coworkers too.

That's funny - I can almost guarantee you that absolutely NO one at my office would have any idea who they are/were. I work in a very small office of 8-10 women (depending on the season), and with one possible exception, they're all older than I am. And I myself am not that young anymore. :D

Did you ever get to see them? I saw them one time in St. Louis in the summer of 99, right after California came out. Great show.

Anyway... sorry to hijack the thread. :D

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2019, 5:51 pm

Luhluhluh wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

That's funny - I can almost guarantee you that absolutely NO one at my office would have any idea who they are/were. I work in a very small office of 8-10 women (depending on the season), and with one possible exception, they're all older than I am. And I myself am not that young anymore. :D

Did you ever get to see them? I saw them one time in St. Louis in the summer of 99, right after California came out. Great show.

Anyway... sorry to hijack the thread. :D

Never seen them, but I like them and FNM and Dog Fashion Disco.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2019, 6:27 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
[

Never seen them, but I like them and FNM and Dog Fashion Disco.

Had not heard Dog Fashion Disco before today but just went and checked them out on You Tube. Yeah, you can definitely hear the Bungle influence.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2019, 6:31 pm

:dj: Squeeze me macaroni

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2019, 7:14 pm

:lol:

SaveFerris wrote: