Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2005, 2:17 pm

You can't talk to Atwood for long before encountering the same, instantly recognizable humour that marks her books. At one point, Jimmy dimly recalls that Crake's real name was Glenn, with two n's, after "a dead pianist, some boy genius." Asked about drawing this link between the animal-loving Crake, who clearly has Asperger's syndrome - a high-intellect variant on the spectrum of autistic disorders - and the notoriously eccentric Glenn Gould, Atwood responds eagerly. "I bet, I'll just bet, that Gould had Asperger's even if they didn't diagnose it back then. Want to know a factoid I learned after I wrote the book? When he was 10, Gould wrote an opera where all the people died at the end, and only the animals survived. That gave me a chill."

{From Maclean's Magazine}

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2005, 3:56 pm

"her"?

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2005, 5:20 pm

That was before the sex change then?

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2005, 8:21 pm

Margaret Attwood is a Canadian Woman...

She's a feminist...

Who are you thinking about?

The Handmaid's Tale... Cat's Eye... Oryx and Crake...

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2005, 11:50 pm

I read Oryx and Crake a few months ago, and really liked how Atwood portrayed AS.

Yeah, I'm quoting myself. So what.

ghotistix wrote:
I'm currently reading Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. When I was about halfway through the book, I was trying to figure out if the character Crake had AS when I turned the page and saw a chapter named "Asperger's U.", referring to the university Crake attends.

Here are a couple passages. Some stuff is confusing like the pleebland stuff, but you can just ignore that.

After five or six months Crake loosened up a bit. He was having to work harder than at HelthWyzer High, he wrote, because there was a lot more competition. Watson-Crick was known to the students there as Asperger's U. because of the high percentage of brilliant weirdos that strolled and hopped and lurched through its corridors. Demi-autistic, genetically speaking; single-track tunnel-vision minds, a marked degree of social ineptitude -- these were not your sharp dressers -- and luckily for everyone there, a high tolerance for mildly deviant public behaviour.
"More than at HelthWyzer?" asked Jimmy.
"Compared to this place, HelthWyzer was a pleebland," Crake replied. "It was wall-to-wall NTs."
"NTs?"
"Neurotypicals."
"Meaning?"
"Minus the genius gene."

I love the refreshing way AS is portrayed. Not as a disorder but as a different, sometimes better way of thinking.

Jimmy was becoming annoyed by Crake's way of introducing him -- "This is Jimmy, the neurotypical" -- but he knew better than to show it. Still, it seemed to be like calling him a Cro-Magnon or something. Next step they'd be putting him in a cage, feeding him bananas, and poking him with electroprods.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2005, 1:19 am

Quote:
Who are you thinking about?

Whooops! :oops:

Tony Attwood ~ he's a man.