Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 8:12 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Alita wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Alita wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

This made me cry. :heart:

it is quite possibly the saddest music i have in my collection. really makes the ol' Stendahl's Syndrome kick into high gear. :(

Well, he was something special. :heart:

and none others in our lifetime to come anywhere close to him.

Amen. It makes me so sad that I didn't live at the same time as him. It would have been amazing. :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 10:47 pm

Alita wrote:
It makes me so sad that I didn't live at the same time as him. It would have been amazing. :(

the next best thing, is that there are hologram tours of him happening now.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 9:28 pm

All three are very tightly related: Mother and Truth are off of the Mother disc of Saturnz Return (1998), Mother has Diane Charlemagne and Goldie on vocals, the original Truth has David Bowie on vocals, the 2017 The Journey Man version has Jose James, and I'm not sure which version of Truth tears me up more - probably the Jose James version, just that it's tough to make sense of if you don't know the history of it or where the lyrics came from - important to note that the lyrics for truth aren't to a lover or a parent but self-to-self, sort of black-out channeled modern Rumi / Manseur Al Hallaj but clearly under a lot more emotional turmoil.

It also helped that I got familiar with all three of these at a place and time in my life where I was ripped to my foundations and wondering what was left, so yeah - extremely sentimental for that reason as well.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 10:22 pm

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep
by Mary Elizabeth Frye
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the starshine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room.
I am in the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I do not die.
Mary Elizabeth Clark Frye (1905-2004) was born in Dayton, Ohio, and was orphaned at the age of three. A housewife and florist who lived in Baltimore, Maryland, after marrying, she wrote this poem after learning that a friend's mother had died. Because Mary was not a recognized poet, and because this poem was never officially published or copyrighted, there has been much debate over its origins and many different people have tried to claim it as their own or have written variations on the original. Extensive research has generally, if not fully, confirmed Mary to be the author.
Dear Abby author Abigail Van Buren researched the poem's history and concluded in 1998 that Mary Elizabeth Frye, who was living in Baltimore at the time, had written the poem in 1932. According to Van Buren's research, Frye had never written any poetry, but the plight of a German Jewish woman, Margaret Schwarzkopf, who was staying with her and her husband, had inspired the poem. Margaret Schwarzkopf was concerned about her mother, who was ill in Germany, but she had been warned not to return home because of increasing unrest. When her mother died, the heartbroken young woman told Frye that she never had the chance to "stand by my mother's grave and shed a tear". Frye, according to Van Buren's research, found herself composing a piece of verse on a brown paper shopping bag. Later she said that the words "just came to her" and expressed what she felt about life and death.
Frye circulated the poem privately, never publishing it. She wrote other poems, but this, her first, endured. Her obituary in The Times stated that she was the author of the famous poem, which has been recited at funerals and on other appropriate occasions around the world for 60 years.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 3:59 am

auntblabby wrote:
Alita wrote:
It makes me so sad that I didn't live at the same time as him. It would have been amazing. :(

I know, it's crazy. I haven't seen that with any other artist. Goes to show. 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 4:05 am

Alita wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Alita wrote:

I know, it's crazy. I haven't seen that with any other artist. Goes to show. 8)

actually, there were/are also hologram tours of roy orbison as well as maria callas.