angry...why wont they play the john lennon song...

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2019, 4:33 am

On my works radio station they have it on. they have been playing chirstmas songs...but it only plays a cover of john lennon's song 'so this is christmas' rather than the actual original and I don't get it. Like why would they just have a lame cover rather than the original john lennon version that was actually a good song.

Its just a really great song and they only play the crappy cover version that lacks all the passion and feeling from the original.

I mean its like i knew the christmas music would be coming soon and the only hope I had was they would play the real version of that song, but no all you get is a stupid pop music rendition with a different singer.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2019, 4:50 am

Some copyright thing, or some royalties thing. I am sure it has to do with money, and legal rights to use material. I doubt that its that they have anything against John Lennon, nor that they are afraid that their audience has anything against John Lennon. Probably some business reason that they cant use Lennon's original.

I have wondered that too because I spend long hours in retail stores counting their inventory, and am forced to become a connoisseur of store muzak. And most store muzak is an odd mix of original artists doing their hit songs, and obscure folks doing "off brand" cover versions of familiar hit songs.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2019, 5:10 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Some copyright thing, or some royalties thing. I am sure it has to do with money, and legal rights to use material. I doubt that its that they have anything against John Lennon, nor that they are afraid that their audience has anything against John Lennon. Probably some business reason that they cant use Lennon's original.

I have wondered that too because I spend long hours in retail stores counting their inventory, and am forced to become a connoisseur of store muzak. And most store muzak is an odd mix of original artists doing their hit songs, and obscure folks doing "off brand" cover versions of familiar hit songs.

Yeah I guess, its just annoying because I dislike the vast majority of christmas music, but that song with john lennon is tolerable so I guess it just bothers me they even took that away....like can't even hear the john lennon version when its like the only christmas song I wanted to hear. But I mean I have the internet so I suppose I can look it up and listen to it any time but it sure as hell does not get played on the christmas loop at work even though there are at least 3 differnt versions of jingle bells and at least two versions of some song about 'it would be lovely to take a slay ride with you + a birthday party to end the day with. Like seriously two versions of the last song and 3 versions of jingle bells played within 4 hours repeatedly every day.