Is the term 'gaydar' too politically incorrect nowadays?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2020, 1:59 am

Basically I want to write about someone who is really good at telling peoples sexual orientations based on various signs.

However, I want to use a term for that skill. But the only term I ever knew it to be called was 'gaydar', but if that is too politically incorrect correct, is there another term for this type of skill?

enz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2020, 2:50 am

interested in the LGBT opinion on this.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 9:42 am

I've seen homo- and bisexual people use the term so I highly doubt it's a complete taboo, but it might depend on the context and who uses the word, too.
Here's a list of some synonyms for the word, though I have no idea how many people would actually know the meaning of these words.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 10:30 am

ironpony wrote:
Basically I want to write about someone who is really good at telling peoples sexual orientations based on various signs.
Ahh ... so you want to write science-fiction -- great! The genre could use some fresh blood these days!
ironpony wrote:
However, I want to use a term for that skill. But the only term I ever knew it to be called was 'gaydar', but if that is too politically incorrect correct, is there another term for this type of skill?
Try "Psychic Reading" or "Extra-Sensory Perception" (ESP); both of these terms describe fictional activities that are the mainstay of many science-fiction stories. Good luck!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 7:39 pm

based on what signs? particular behaviours? that would be very problematic.
the whole "gaydar" idea is that it is a sixth sense, not some sherlock holmes thing.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2020, 1:23 am

Whether or not it's politically incorrect, I find it very questionable, I have no idea why this would even be a story idea.

docgeorge
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2020, 11:24 pm

My take as a 70 y.o. gay man is that "gaydar" is used somewhat humorously and not too literally. If used in that spirit I don't see it as a problem.

Ferrous
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2020, 8:07 am

The word is antiquated but basically fine. What I do take issue with is people who aren't LGBT claiming they're amazing at telling when people are; I have never encountered such a person who iisn't just relying entirely on stereotypes, and a few bragged about this skill while having no idea I'm gay.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 6:28 pm

Ferrous wrote:
The word is antiquated but basically fine.

What is the current word?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 6:33 pm

docgeorge wrote:
My take as a 70 y.o. gay man is that "gaydar" is used somewhat humorously and not too literally. If used in that spirit I don't see it as a problem.

This.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 9:47 pm

Ferrous wrote:
The word is antiquated but basically fine. What I do take issue with is people who aren't LGBT claiming they're amazing at telling when people are; I have never encountered such a person who iisn't just relying entirely on stereotypes, and a few bragged about this skill while having no idea I'm gay.

Yep, this is totally true. Also what benefit is there even to this supposed skill?