Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Unveils 2021 Nominees

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 2:02 am

Billboard

Quote:
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced its 2021 nominees on Wednesday (Feb. 10) morning, revealing the most gender-inclusive ballot in the Rock Hall's history.

Mary J. Blige, Kate Bush, Devo, Foo Fighters, The Go-Go's, Iron Maiden, Jay-Z, Chaka Khan, Carole King, Fela Kuti, LL Cool J, New York Dolls, Rage Against the Machine, Todd Rundgren, Tina Turner, and Dionne Warwick are all on the 2021 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ballot.

Seven of those 16 acts feature women, with two of those women already in the Rock Hall: Carole King's era-defining songwriting earned her Rock Hall entry in the non-performer category, and Tina Turner was previously inducted as part of the duo Ike & Tina Turner. Both, however, enjoyed blockbuster solo success, releasing seminal GOAT albums and see their impact continue to grow with each passing decade. One other nominee, Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters, was previously inducted, as part of Nirvana.

Hard rock mainstays Foo Fighters and East Coast hip-hop icon Jay-Z see their names on the ballot during their first year of eligibility (an act is eligible 25 years after their first commercial recording is released). In addition to the Foos and Hova, five previously eligible acts see their first nominations in 2021: new wave hitmakers The Go-Go's (the first all-female band to top the Billboard 200 while writing their own songs and playing their own instruments), new wave of British heavy metal rockers Iron Maiden, queen of hip-hop soul Mary J. Blige, Afrobeat pioneer Fela Kuti and soul-pop vocal pro Dionne Warwick.

Of returning acts hoping for more luck this year, hip-hop pioneer LL Cool J receives his sixth nomination, and soul-funk dynamo Chaka Khan sees her seventh nomination in some form (this is her third solo nom; she was also nominated as part of Rufus & Chaka Khan four times).

Fan vote
You get one vote a day.

Like clockwork, most HOF comments discuss two things 1. Non "Rock and Roll" artists 2. Deserving acts that are not on the ballot. This is a Rock and Roll era Hall of Fame not a Rock and Hall of Fame and has been for a long time. Deal with it or boycott, your choice. We all have our long list of acts we are incredulous they are not being considered never mind in. I will deal with what is in front of me.

This is a very strong group of nominees. I vote on influence and talent. IMHO most of these acts are worthy and the few that are not are still very good acts.
I voted for
Kate Bush
Carole King
Tina Turner
Devo
New York Dolls

I particularly want to vote for Jay-Z and Todd Rundgren in future votes but who do I drop?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 5:30 am

For me, these albums are why the 1990s were cool:

Use you Illusion I & II (Guns N' Roses)
The Black Album (Metallica)
Fear of the Dark (Iron Maiden)
Nevermind (Nirvana)
Automatic for the People (R.E.M)

They were all released in 1991-1992, which was my childhood's end, and when I got over my fear of the dark.

And if these dudes don't include Iron Maiden in the Hall of Fame, then I'd like to warn them: You had better be quick or be dead, because I'm not afraid to shoot strangers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 5:53 am

I vote for Cyndi Lauper.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 12:24 pm

Ridiculous that there is still no Tool.