Page 5 of 16 [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

dpcraig
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Dec 2020, 3:12 pm

Yeah, that pedal looks cool. I'm in no way a fan of Jack White, but I love the design of his first signature pedal. It looks like a telegram device almost.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 3:27 pm

dpcraig wrote:
Yeah, that pedal looks cool. I'm in no way a fan of Jack White, but I love the design of his first signature pedal. It looks like a telegram device almost.

This is just the preamp from a Soldano SLO in a box. I mostly prefer analog solid state distortion, but if I'm gonna have one tube preamp it might as well be an SLO.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 10:19 am

what do you all think of Strumsticks?

dpcraig
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Dec 2020, 12:30 pm

Those are like banjos almost or dulcemers. Being a bass player, too, I bet I could get into playing one.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 5:20 am

so far i've resisted the urge to get a D-33 model, mainly because i'm not sure if having a diatonic instrument would hamper my ability to play what songs i wanna play.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 5:26 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^that sounds fascinating, is he applying some sort of metaphysical meaning to the guitar?

Yes, but more to music itself and the guitar is his way of expressing it. He does illustrate his ideas on the guitar. He is a fascinating speaker with words and with music.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 5:33 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
He's not what you'd conventionally call a "guitar hero", but I learned to play by covering early Leonard Cohen songs! I just really like that spidery fingerpicking style.

I didn’t realize Cohen played guitar. I thought he played piano. He does do some interesting harmonic progressions. I will have to go back and listen again.

I have had to go back to the piano to understand chords when playing banjo. Piano is where I understand music.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 6:35 am

blazingstar wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
He's not what you'd conventionally call a "guitar hero", but I learned to play by covering early Leonard Cohen songs! I just really like that spidery fingerpicking style.

I didn’t realize Cohen played guitar. I thought he played piano. He does do some interesting harmonic progressions. I will have to go back and listen again.

I have had to go back to the piano to understand chords when playing banjo. Piano is where I understand music.

plinking on a piano taught me perfect pitch. :study:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 7:12 pm

How can you learn perfect pitch? My mother had perfect pitch. I don’t. I think one can improve one’s ear with practice.

I had a friend who did not have perfect pitch but she could remember the pitch we started a song in, from two weeks ago.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 10:18 pm

blazingstar wrote:
How can you learn perfect pitch? My mother had perfect pitch. I don’t. I think one can improve one’s ear with practice. I had a friend who did not have perfect pitch but she could remember the pitch we started a song in, from two weeks ago.

all i know is that in the 6th grade in the band practice room, something possessed me to sit down at the piano and plunk while observing the note "cheat sheet" atop the keys, and eventually a light bulb :idea: lit up in my head and the notes made internal sense, the information on the cheat sheet "locked in" with what my ears heard. now as i've grown older, my perfect pitch is no longer 100% perfect [an audiologist explained to me that with age comes shrinkage and gradual atrophy of the cochlea which alters the relationship of pitches, resulting in what i experience as a gradual sharpening of pitch, IOW middle C on the keyboard now sounds to me as what D# used to sound like when i was 12. i can cognitively compensate but it delays correct pitch perception for me which used to be instantaneous.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 7:14 am

I don't have perfect pitch- I certainly couldn't give a perfectly pitched starting note for a choir, the way some people can. (Or think they can- I can remember one absolute disaster of a choir performance caused by that!) But when it comes to guessing the pitch of a note, I get it right a lot more often than chance, and my guesses are close. Say you play an E flat: I might guess D, E flat or E, but not a more remote note like A or C.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 7:19 am

I envy people with better pitch recognition. It seems to me it would make music so much easier. But of course, I understand there is always something one wishes one were a little better at.

I have noticed that with my simple playing/picking I can sometimes recognize the next chord change by ear rather than by memory.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 8:09 am

blazingstar wrote:
I envy people with better pitch recognition. It seems to me it would make music so much easier. But of course, I understand there is always something one wishes one were a little better at.

I have noticed that with my simple playing/picking I can sometimes recognize the next chord change by ear rather than by memory.

you have relative pitch. that is something to be thankful for also, for without it you could not be a musician or even appreciate music [aka "tone deafness"]

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2020, 8:49 pm

So, I think I've figured out how to record DI tracks of my guitar playing; now I can clean them up on the computer before playing them back through my gear instead of cleaning up a recording of the distorted tone. I hope this makes it easier to get good recordings and sounds more natural than editing the distorted tracks.

I think I can just use an mp3 player to play the DI track through my recording rig and I'll be able to tweak how it sounds without out paying attention to my playing.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2021, 11:01 pm

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 3:40 am

Recently bought myself an Epiphone Les Paul Standard 50's in gold.

I just want to hold it and stroke it all night it's so lovely :lol: