Helmet
Disturbed
Soil

Thats just a few to mention!

lephermessiah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2007, 4:48 pm

Cannibal Corpse, Sepultura, Six Feet Under, Death, Paths Of Possession, Bad Religion, NOFX, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Johnny Cash, Septic Death, Black Label Society, Kreator, Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, Malevolent Creation, Solstice, Ozzy, Monstrosity, Obituary, Deicide, Disturbed, Morbid Angel, Dying Fetus, Iron Maiden, Napalm Death, Iced Earth, Exodus, Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Helloween, Possessed, Pantera, Necrophagist, Cattle Decapitation, Broken Hope, Gorgasm, Circle Jerks, Guttermouth, Social Distortion, AFI, Frenzal Rhomb, The Descendants, Lagwagon, No Use For A Name, Propagandhi, Rancid, Suicide Machines, Swinging Utters, Stretch Arm Strong, Screeching Weasel, Living Sacrifice, Skinless, Torture Killer, and many others.

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2007, 11:38 pm

I'm a fan of mostly death metal and the classic heavy metal: morbid angel , death , judas priest, black sabbath, iced earth, metallica, megadeth, hammerfall,helloween, led zeplin, death angel,slayer, iron maiden, atreyu, all that remains, in flames, trivium, the agony scene, lacuna coil, cannible corpse, decide ,pantera.

just so you know i didn't copy lephermessiah he read my mind before I got a chance to post.

morbid angel #1 for me.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 6:57 pm

Metallica[Thrash Metal ]

Disturbed

Rammstien [ Industrial Metal]

Nine Inche Nails

Ozzy Osbourn

Is Black Sabbath considered metal.

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jul 2007, 7:19 pm

gamefreak wrote:
Is Black Sabbath considered metal.

Absolutely... Many metal enthusiasts consider Sabbath to be the first true metal band and I agree. They laid the groundwork from which metal as we know it developed - the heaviness, the riffing style, the dark lyrical themes, etc. More so than any other band in that era (late 60s / early 70s).

Arby
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2007, 6:47 am

For mine the last true masterpiece in heavy metal was Coroner's "No More Colour" in 1989. At this stage grunge was just about to swamp everything. Metallica were doing nothing and Maiden had released the disappointing "No Prayer For The Dying in 1990.

There has been no metal since Megadeth's "Rust In Peace". 99.99% of modern metal is pretentious try hard rubbish, fuelled by the media to be ever more gross and disgusting. Dying fetus...oh, come on :roll: Like a closed school. No class.

The only thing I've heard in the last 15 years that even has a candle to hold to the old masters is System Of A Down's "Toxicity".

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 Jul 2007, 12:49 pm

dying fetus rules, its funny cause i think megadeth hasnt put out a good album in atleast 10 years. besides i didnt know mtv plays DF, so that really doesnt fall under the "try to hard, sellouts" category.

man_and_djinn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2007, 4:03 pm

JoeCapricorn wrote:
Mouapp, a fellow Demilich fan eh?

Omewesa!! !

HELL yeah! :twisted:
Best metal band (yes, best of all genres) ever... I still regret that I didn't go to Finland to see their very last gigs before disbanding... I have the t-shirt though :)

"You see your bowels in the air
approaching the ceiling like tentacles
Dying like your father when he was young
Flying out of this world to another land..."

Michaelmas
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2007, 4:14 pm

Lacuna Coil; I'm not really acquainted with any other metal bands save Satyricon which may grow on me

Michaelmas

JoeCapricorn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2007, 2:16 am

I forgot to mention Deicide... ^_^

Although they are well-known...

And Mantas, the first death metal band (The band that renamed themselves to Death and released Scream Bloody Gore). There is also Possessed, which released the EP that named a new genre: Death Metal

I've heard a bit of Satyricon, but it's hardly anything as good as Mayhem.

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2007, 7:20 am

man_and_djinn wrote:
Best metal band (yes, best of all genres) ever... I still regret that I didn't go to Finland to see their very last gigs before disbanding... I have the t-shirt though :)

i wish theyd print more shirts but yea awesome band, one of the first dm bands i listened to just cus i could download it off their website

sorry arby but it realy seems you dont know much aboutmodern metal, all the truly disgusting bands i know about are grindcore and i dont know how the media witch ignores them can be fueling them ......
and i just dont know how something can be both try hard and pretentious

Arby
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2007, 6:25 pm

mouapp wrote:
sorry Arby but it really seems you don't know much about modern metal

Quite right, I don't know as much about metal (and music in general for that matter) from say 1990 to date as I do from say 1920 to 1990.

What I do know is that the mainstream media (music, TV, press, cinema), in it's continuous search for an edge over their competition, has over the last 20 years or so driven itself to be ever more outrageous, perverse, graphic, image conscious and disgusting.

So if you're 25 and under or thereabouts, you've grown up in a world portrayed by this modern media and therefore wouldn't know it any differently (ie: you would think that this is normal). If you're around 40 or older, you would've seen how the media has changed just by your own observations and how it has affected every strand of civilization (and I use the term very loosely).

So, if you've been exposed in your formative years to so much violence, sex, perversion etc. how can it not come through in movies, music etc. ? This is what I mean by the media fuelling the fire. So you're young and in a band and you know you've got to get an edge over the pack so you can have your 15 minutes of fame. The easiest way is to shock and awe because that's what the media has been encouraging you to do for your whole life.

Maybe I'm old and out of touch, but IMHO the early 21st century draws a lot of parallels with the last days of the Roman empire. As the old saying goes, those that do not learn the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them. If this is true, then our collective fate is well and truly sealed.

striker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2007, 11:58 pm

does glam metal count

onefourninezero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2007, 10:16 am

I'm not good with these subcategories but I like a fair bit of metal.

Cannibal Corpse, Slayer, Napalm Death, Necrophagist, Pantera, Mayhem, Burzum, Devourment, Pig Destroyer, Gorerotted, Dying Fetus, Cattle Decapitation, Electric Wizard, Pentagram, Exhumed, Entombed, Behemoth, Emperor, Skinless, Prostitute Disfigurement, Suffocation, Leng Tch'e, Vader, High on Fire, Goatsnake, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Cephalic Carnage, Bolt Thrower and so on and so forth.

I'm not a great fan of power/symphonic metal, I prefer death and doom.

JoeCapricorn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2007, 12:41 am

striker wrote:
does glam metal count

Why not?

Some might disagree, but we are here to list out favorite heavy metal bands. Why should -that- be dependent on what other people think? It's YOUR favorite heavy metal band. If you want to say Slipknot, Poison, or Aerosmith, or even Johnny Cash is your favorite heavy metal musician - go right ahead. I won't be mad.

I WILL be mad at people who bash other people's musical interest. So far, there hasn't really been much of that. PLEASE keep it that way.