Anyone ever been to the Burning Man????

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 10:13 am

Several of my cousins friends went out to this event over the summer, but neither of us had heard of it before then.

As with anything else that interests me, I have researched the hell out of this and can't wait to go now!

I absolutely love the whole concept! CAN'T WAIT!! !!

Be curious to hear if anyone has had any experiences of it...

we have been master planning and preparing our "camp"....

http://www.burningman.com/

Last edited by makelifehappen on 15 Oct 2007, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 2:32 pm

I have never been, but I have fantasized about it a lot.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 3:08 pm

I wanted to go but never got the chance to do so.

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 4:12 pm

If there was ever a place in this universe that I would completely mesh...it would be there!!

Talk about growing your own culture!

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 9:24 am

I went in 2011, just the one time.

While I highly value the experience, I'm not sure I would recommend it universally, as it can be very intense, and if you're prone to sensory overload, you'll have every opportunity to experience every kind of overload you can imagine.

If you're open to socializing while under the influence of mind-altering substances, consider BM to be an opportunity to dive right into the deep end of the pool.

I did shrooms while there, on the night that they burned the "Man", and consider those hours to be near the top of my life experiences.

Here are my photos from that year:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArngPOZxkcQulM0E3prvpvKnXxp2Uw?e=MKk6dD

Here's an article about Burning Man, including a photo of me there:
https://www.city.fi/kulttuuri/puu-ukon+polttamiseen+huipentuva+burning+man+vaikuttaa+monella+tavalla/10104

Darron

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 1:48 pm

I’d like to go to something like that. I guess you could always create your own experience like that with friends, some night in some wild deserted place.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 2:18 pm

No, but I remember when Jeff and Hailey went. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 3:08 pm

Sarahsmith wrote:
I’d like to go to something like that. I guess you could always create your own experience like that with friends, some night in some wild deserted place.

Yes, but there's no practical way to get 70,000 of your closest friends to get together in one place at one time, build a massive temporary "city", build, show, and in many cases destroy in grand fashion some rather impressive works of art, drive around in some of the wildest "art cars" ever seen on Planet Earth, be exposed to every kind of sensory stimulation that you can imagine (and many you can not!), experience "raves" at a scale and intensity seldom seen, survive a harsh environment at anything from bare subsistence level to full-blown luxury (depending on your means and desires), talk to very strange people that in "real life" would fly under the radar, never revealing their inner selves, touch and be touched by people that revel in human contact (to any degree that you might find tolerable), find a relatively safe way to reach a chemically-altered state of mind, guided by people that have trodden that path before, and best of all, not be judged harshly because you are different! In fact, exploring ways of being "different", and witnessing the many ways that differences can manifest in others, is essentially the whole point of Burning Man.

Darron

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 11:45 am

I've seen the art, Black Rock City looks interesting, but I see the dj line up and it's really not for me.

I'll take interest when I see Quartz, Mantra, Djinn, Double-O, Loxy, some kind of serious jungle / dnb tent. My take - they're way too 'hippie' for that, which is part of why I'd spend a weekend or week feeling totally out of my element. If it's just a week-long escape from daddy issues and stays that way I'll take a pass.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2022, 2:56 pm

If a Burning Man event happens in Oregon later this year, I will consider attendance.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2022, 3:33 pm

No, But I know a bit about it. Basically a sex and drug orgy in the desert, with scantily clad hippies creating expressing themselves through zany architectural constructions, and impromptu counter-cultural performance art, right? oh and they burn stuff too, right?

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 11:29 am

theprisoner wrote:
No, But I know a bit about it. Basically a sex and drug orgy in the desert, with scantily clad hippies creating expressing themselves through zany architectural constructions, and impromptu counter-cultural performance art, right? oh and they burn stuff too, right?

That's not an entirely inaccurate definition of the event...

:D

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 11:44 am

I've watched videos...I'm interested in American culture, mainstream and otherwise.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 11:48 am

theprisoner wrote:
I've watched videos...I'm interested in American culture, mainstream and otherwise.

I'd say that Burning Man is exactly as representative of modern "American culture" as a Berlin Cabaret was of the culture of Nazi Germany in 1933.

Darron

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2022, 10:59 pm

No. But I want to go for the lighted art instalations. The pictures and videos I've seen look beautiful. I really enjoy the medium of lights and glowing things for art. I'm not sure I'd enjoy all those people though seems overwhelming. So I'll have to get by enjoying the pictures online.

If you do go, please share about it! :heart:

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 11:04 pm

theprisoner wrote:

Sex orgy you say? Count me in!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!