Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 11:41 am

DeepHour wrote:
(Music) - T Rex, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Boney M, Blondie, Abba, Human League.

(Films) - Hammer Horror, 1950s, 1960s 'B' Movies

1960s/70s TV series - Callan, The Prisoner, UFO, Space 1999

1960s/70s/80s British Soap Operas - Coronation Street, Brookside

Gaming - Doom, and other early FPS games

I have this problem with early first person shooters like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. They make me seasick after about an HR twenty. Idk if it's the frame rate or what. I do not have this problem with Halo on a Xbox 360.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 12:10 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
The Occult, Tarot, Cartomancy, Mythology Folk Magic, as well as The Golden Girls, classic horror, and Video Games.

My partner and I have actually been binge-watching TGG. We love it. There is something relaxing about it. Maybe it's the nostalgia and the fact that I grew up /watched it in the 80s? I also love tarot cards, mythology, and video games :)

My SPINs?

Ones that never really wane:
-Nature, hiking (when my body allows it)
-identification of plants, animals (arthropoda->insecta in particular), and fungi
-nature photography and documentation
-Anatomy, physiology, and pathology
-Conservation and Environmental Topics

Ones that I cycle on and off (usually due to lack of energy, pain, etc)
-RPG, MMORPGs, online games, tabletop games, etc
-scifi, fantasy, dystopian future books
-creative cooking and food
-mixed media painting, art, knitting
-writing and reading poetry
-anime, manga, and manhwa

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Oct 2021, 1:24 pm

Axeman wrote:
I have this problem with early first person shooters like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. They make me seasick after about an HR twenty. Idk if it's the frame rate or what. I do not have this problem with Halo on a Xbox 360.
My girlfriend has felt that way shortly after starting to play one of the Turok games & I think at least one other Nintendo 64 game that was remade or ported to the Xbox One. I never noticed that issue playing those games on my Nintendo 64. I haven't tried playing them on her Xbox thou. I am prone to motion-sickness & I have felt a little queasy before falling on some non 1st person N64 & Xbox games but that's about the only time I felt that way playing any video-games so I would guess the issue may be with those games getting put on Xbox instead of the original system.

Slightly off topic but I have noticed sometimes when viewing fake pix online that some pix seem good quality but are hard on my eyes & make me feel kinda like I have motion-sickness. I'm using an old computer & have it set to a lower resolution because things look bigger & I don't have the best vision. Those pix can look a little better on my phone which is set to the default resolution since I got it a year & a half ago but those pix can still be a little hard on the eyes thou not as bad. Maybe they were designed for a much higher resolution than my computer is using & forcing them into a smaller one is the problem :?

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 1:40 pm

Axeman wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

These games were designed for small monitors, FOV is narrow, about 90 degrees, if you are playing on the same setup you are playing modern shooters fullscreen, you will get sick, modern shooters have about 120 on PC and sometimes as narrow as 60-70 on console, though default FOV gets wider in newer releases as big ass TVs become more common.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 4:32 pm

badRobot wrote:
Axeman wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

These games were designed for small monitors, FOV is narrow, about 90 degrees, if you are playing on the same setup you are playing modern shooters fullscreen, you will get sick, modern shooters have about 120 on PC and sometimes as narrow as 60-70 on console, though default FOV gets wider in newer releases as big ass TVs become more common.

Ok so the older shooters are designed for a much smaller screen and that's causing the problem. Probably the old cathode ray box like TVs.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 4:34 pm

Axeman wrote:
What are your special interests?
Amateur Radio, Astronomy, Digital Logic, Electricity/Electronics, General Science, Science-Fiction, and Science-Fiction Role-Playing Games.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 4:58 pm

Axeman wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Axeman wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

Ok so the older shooters are designed for a much smaller screen and that's causing the problem. Probably the old cathode ray box like TVs.

Yep, if you wanna get rid of this effect, reduce window size to match 4:3 14"-15" monitor or move your monitor away from you or download modified/modern engine versions adapted for wide displays. If you compare screenshots of modern shooter releases for PC and consoles you will see a huge difference, console releases look like 2x zoomed in. If you play such game up close, image jumps around too much, and this wavy walking effect of old games becomes sickening. Old PC games have FOV closer to modern console releases, designed for smaller angular size of viewport.