If you don't get feedback/readers would you keep on writing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Nov 2021, 10:32 am

I've written about 45,000 words and all I got was a single comment from someone who read... merely the first 1000 or so. How on earth can someone make a career out of this, and I can't even get people to read something that is free?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 11:17 am

Who did you ask?

Getting someone to read a first draft is a big ask. Particularly if its 45,000 words. That's a significant investment you're asking for.

It works best if its reciprocal - i.e. you will also read their work and feedback. That way there's more incentive for them beyond just 'wanting to help'.

I have a 'crit group' which was formed out of the ashes of a writing group I used to attend. These are people who I trust to give me honest feedback, not spare my feelings. Crucially they are also writers, and good ones. It's important when looking for feedback that you rate the opinion of the feedbacker. We read each others stuff and feedback. Not so much these days, but that's how it used to work.

Maybe look for a crit group. There used to be a website called youwriteon where you could review others work for credits and they'd review yours. I think it's defunct but I'd be surprised if there isn't something along those lines out there if you look. Maybe just a facebook group or something.

Certainly don't give up.