Does anyone else like post punk and goth?

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 3:44 am

I really like those kinds of music, so yeah just want to see if anyone else here likes it. I never could get into like regular punk music some songs are ok but yeah it never drew me in...I got more drawn in by metal. But I have come to really like post punk and goth music quite a bit.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 3:52 am

I'm obsessed with the the cure right now, and i find siouxsie soux to be very sexy. Does that count. They're goth, right?

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 3:54 am

I don't listen to them much now, but was very into this music for years, starting when I was 14. My favorites are Pere Ubu, Magazine, The Stranglers, XTC, Wire, Bauhaus, The Fall (especially with Brix), Public Image Ltd., Crass, Siouxsie and the Banshees, New Order, and probably some others I'm forgetting now. Very creative pop music.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 3:56 am

I'm really bad at identifying genres but I probably do like it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 3:59 am

theprisoner wrote:
I'm obsessed with the the cure right now, and i find siouxsie soux to be very sexy. Does that count. They're goth, right?

I think the cure is within that, ha ha I am not any expert on the genre or anything(I am generally more of a metalhead), just discovered from spotify I like music falling into those catagories. I am not familiar with siouxsie soux but I recognize seeing that band name, so I am sure they've come up on my spotify before.

For me my interest came from a song from Joy Division playing randomly playing on my spotify and I really liked it so I started seeking out more music kind of like that.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 4:11 am

Yeah big fan of Public Image Limited, I find John lydon is a very funny witty if caustic guy, A real iconoclast, I dont know how you categorize them though. Next question.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 4:19 am

theprisoner wrote:
Yeah big fan of Public Image Limited, I find John lydon is a very funny witty if caustic guy, A real iconoclast, I dont know how you categorize them though. Next question.

Lol! Is "next question" a Johnny Rotten reference? He does like saying that.

Also, how could I forget Talking Heads...

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 4:44 am

HighLlama wrote:
Lol! Is "next question" a Johnny Rotten reference? He does like saying that..

:lol: Yeah, i just love the way he delivers that. Nobody does deadpan sarcasm like Johnny Rotten. Next..Question.

Oh btw just noticed your avatar...I can see you're one of the more perceptive Residents here at WP . :wink:

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 6:35 am

theprisoner wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
Lol! Is "next question" a Johnny Rotten reference? He does like saying that..

:lol: Yeah, i just love the way he delivers that. Nobody does deadpan sarcasm like Johnny Rotten. Next..Question.

Oh btw just noticed your avatar...I can see you're one of the more perceptive Residents here at WP . :wink:

:lol: thanks

He does have some great one-liners. I love on Filthy Lucre Live when he says, "Fat, forty, and back!"

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 6:59 am

Yes to post punk. I like Talking Heads, Blondie, Stranglers, B52s, violent femmes, joy division. Not sure about goth. I liked Placebo back in the 90s, they looked like goths but I don't know what the definition of goth music is.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 7:03 am

Occasionally I stray into strange genres of music.... not a constant thing but I think I have every genre there is in my bookmarks list.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 7:07 am

Yes, I love Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order, The Cure, The Sisters of Mercy etc.

You might like The Paisley Underground scene. REM started out in the mix, early Bangles is good, The Rain Parade, The Long Ryders, The Dream Syndicate, Green on Red.

I quite like shoegaze as well, but I might be diverging too much, like the Smiths, The Blue Nile, The Dream Academy, Prefab Sprout and The Cocteaux Twins.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 7:53 am

Back in the day, 80ies to be precise, post punk/goth was my bread and butter.
Though goth wasnt a term used, at least not here. We called it "svart-rock" (lit. "Black Rock") since everyone wore black clothes.

/Mats

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 9:09 am

I like some stuff in this field. Bauhaus are great.

Somewhat different direction, but does anyone like stuff like Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, Lydia Lunch, Mars or Swans?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 9:53 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Yes to post punk. I like Talking Heads, Blondie, Stranglers, B52s, violent femmes, joy division. Not sure about goth. I liked Placebo back in the 90s, they looked like goths but I don't know what the definition of goth music is.

I thought Goth would be more like Grunge, without the Seattle thing. Not really a genre, but sort of.

When I was in HS in the mid-late 80's, all the goth kids here were skinny puppy ads, with the occasional Cure ad thrown in.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 4:07 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Yes, I love Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order, The Cure, The Sisters of Mercy etc.

You might like The Paisley Underground scene. REM started out in the mix, early Bangles is good, The Rain Parade, The Long Ryders, The Dream Syndicate, Green on Red.

I quite like shoegaze as well, but I might be diverging too much, like the Smiths, The Blue Nile, The Dream Academy, Prefab Sprout and The Cocteaux Twins.

You have great taste. I LOVE Steve McQueen by Prefab Sprout. Those are some beautiful, clever songs, with emotional insight. The first two Dream Academy albums are fun...I'll always have a soft spot for "Life In a Northern Town."

Do you like solo Morrissey? I love the Smiths, but I think his own music is very creative, at least into the late 90s.