We are lacking a what are you reading now thread!

Page 3 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 3:30 pm

ghotistix wrote:
I'm now reading Chuck Palahniuks novel/short story collection Haunted. I'm reminded of how "Guts" is the most horrifying (yet hilarious) short story ever written.

I have read Fight Club, Choke and Guts (which is on the net if you do a google search but it's horrible). I dunno which to read next, maybe i'll get Haunted.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 3:34 pm

vetivert wrote:
tom wrote:
my mom had a religious argument with Terry Pratchett.

i was going to ask him to be my external examiner, until told (on v good authority indeed) that he is - and i quote - a bit of a git. so i didn't.

can i just be inordinately self-promoting here, and say that i'm reading my second novel (editing the fourth draft)? no? okay - i won't, then...

me with TP!

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 4:19 pm

Neer the end of Half Blood Prince. Yes, i do reelise its been out for half a month, but the book went missing for ages.

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 4:46 pm

tom wrote:
me with TP!

do you know, i remembered someone had met him, and couldn't think who. thanks tom - you've saved me hours of trying to rack my brains :)

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 3:34 pm

Finished Half Blood Prince today. Now reeding Star Wars - Survivors Quest (for any fans of the saga, its about discovering a decades-old conspiracy surrounding the final fate of the Outbound Flight Project).

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

Liadain
Raven
Raven

26 Sep 2005, 1:04 pm

I'm not reading anything at the moment but I did very recently finish Wuthering Heights and Eats, Shoots and Leaves. I was completely absorbed in Wuthering Heights and will probably reread it at some point. I was expecting the amazing love story everyone talks about when mentioning that book but became more interested in the fact that the two main characters, particularly Heathcliff, are so narcissistic and manipulative of other people, and the effect he has on the lives of those around him is shocking and horrible. It also reminded me a bit of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude, except its ending was a bit more pleasant. I had to take a break halfway through One Hundred Years because it was doing my head in, all those generations of people with the same names as those who came before; finishing it was worth it, though.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2005, 2:24 pm

Until my dad gets off his butt and figures out where he put my worn copy of King's The Long Walk I let him borrow, I'm reading John Irving's A Son of the Circus. It's really amazing how many words Irving can cram into so few ideas...

Liadain
Raven
Raven

26 Sep 2005, 2:30 pm

I tried reading A Prayer For Owen Meany last year but found it to be incredibly annoying and pretentious and badly written, and now I am afraid to pick up anything else of Irving's. I had the same reaction to Fight Club and haven't read anything else of Palahniuk's. Ditto with All Families Are Psychotic and Douglas Coupland.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2005, 3:15 pm

Palahniuk's writing can be pretty bizarre sometimes. A lot of his work (both short stories and novels) just kick up stylish dust, but I think he occasionally produces something transcendent. In my case, it was around a part in Choke with a dead gerbil in a man's rectum that his style suddenly "clicked," it stopped being incoherent madness, and I could see the intent behind it all. It just took a hell of a lot of headscratching and disgusted laughter.

Liadain
Raven
Raven

26 Sep 2005, 3:20 pm

Maybe I will try him again, because I am a big fan of the bizarre, but it won't be anytime soon; I am living in a house with thousands of books I've never read, so I should probably get cracking on those before I buy any new ones.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2005, 3:21 pm

Palahuniuk sounds a bit like NeantHumain. You have to dig through a lot of crap to get to the golden stuff. He's a misunderstood genuis imo.

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2005, 1:41 pm

At the moment i am in teh midle of

A Short Hystory of Nearly Everything -Bill Bryson
Rumpole and the Golden Thread -John Mortimer
Down With Skool! -Geoffrey and Ronald Searle
Revelations of the Dark Mother -white wolf
Guards, Guards -Terry Pratchett

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2005, 1:49 pm

Right now Im in between books but I checked out 4 more (and bought another one on the "were getting rid of these books" rack) and I think I will read this book called Simon Says (not the Mercury Rising book that I think had the same name.) Also I got Go Ask Alice (about drug addiction), One Step From Heaven (about a Korean girl and her family moving to America), and one of my weird wizard books that get so boring after a while but are quite interesting (dont ask me how that works just does. Oh and I bought The Lost Boys or something like that by Orson Scott Card that I think was like dedicated to his dead/dying son, so it should be an interesting book.

Oh and I just finished 2 of my Left Behind the Kids books and a book called Parents Wanted about a ADD/ODD (and I suspect possibly AS) kid looking for a family.

PS If you couldnt tell I generally always read kid/young adult books, adult books just get so boring with all their details.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 7:29 am

Halfway through LOTR, again... :)

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

acousticvalley
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2005, 1:39 pm

Last edited by acousticvalley on 09 Nov 2005, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 8:45 pm

The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway. A gargantuan compilation -- I'll be occupied for a while :D