Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DunaDuna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2022, 6:43 pm

I love to invent stories.
I sometimes like to write them.
Recently I started sharing what I write.

Then I got diagnosed with type 1 ASD (Aspergers) and suddenly I'm very doubtful about sharing my stuff because I think that nobody can understand it (it's a complex topic, I admit), or that dialogs are too flat or artificial or characters act strangely...

Anyone experienced the same?
Any advice on how to overcome this specific blockage?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 12:43 am

I'm one of the fiction writers here on WP, so feel free to take my advise, or tell me to take a flying leap :lol: . As far as dialogue being flat, just remember, the main purpose of having your characters speak is to convey information in order to move the story along. Once that is accomplished in a first draft, I suggest that you simply go back and think about ways that might make said dialogue more interesting.
Has someone told you your dialogue is too flat? Or is that a self criticism?
What kind of fiction do you write?

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 4:15 am

I used to write when i was younger, original fiction as well as fan fiction but i don't think they are any good.

I am insecure about the same things you mentioned, i don't think i understand people enough to convey a character's emotions and intentions.

DunaDuna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2022, 8:44 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm one of the fiction writers here on WP, so feel free to take my advise, or tell me to take a flying leap :lol: . As far as dialogue being flat, just remember, the main purpose of having your characters speak is to convey information in order to move the story along. Once that is accomplished in a first draft, I suggest that you simply go back and think about ways that might make said dialogue more interesting.

For now, it's self criticism.
Today I even got a positive feedback from one of my writing buddies regarding some piece of dialogue!
But it was dialogue that explained a lot of stuff that otherwise would have been more like a report.
I write speculative fiction, and many of my characters are dealing with "being different". Which now makes a lot of sense to me. But makes me rethink my creative potential :P
What's you genre?

Last edited by DunaDuna on 13 Jan 2022, 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DunaDuna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2022, 8:48 pm

AprilR wrote:
I used to write when i was younger, original fiction as well as fan fiction but i don't think they are any good.

I am insecure about the same things you mentioned, i don't think i understand people enough to convey a character's emotions and intentions.

Well, I (still) think a story is story. you can have very simple characters and still pass a message. Like it's done in children's books. Characters are important, but so are plot (entertainment value), and in some cases, a message.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 8:57 pm

Yeah I write stories, Here's one I been working on.

Quote:
Donatello felt welling disgust as the first dark drops of menstrual blood struck the sewer in dime-sized drops. “For God’s sake, April, you got your period!” he cried. “Clean yourself up!”

“Ohuh?”

She looked around bovinely. Her auburn hair stuck to her cheeks in a curving helmet shape. For the roving tv reporter, the elusive stamp of hurt was already marked clearly in her eyes.

“Cowabunga” Raphael suddenly shouted with cryptic glee, and then burst into a shriek of laughter. Leonardo remembered the comment later and fitted it into a general picture, but now it was only another senseless sound in the confusion. An expedition to the Technodrome with no tampons, What was She was thinking. She must know what’s happening, she—

More droplets of blood. April still blinked around at the Turtles in slow bewilderment. As Krang watched on his monitor.

Michaelangelo turned around and made mock throwing-up gestures.

“You’re bleeding!” Splinter yelled suddenly, furiously. “You’re bleeding, you big dumb Shredder !”

April 'O Neil looked down at herself.

She shrieked.

The sound was very loud in the Sewer. Bebop and Rocksteady watched in the distance.

A empty Pzza box suddenly struck her in the chest and fell with a plop at her feet. A red flower stained the her bright yellow jumpsuit.

:ninja:

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 11:14 pm

DunaDuna wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Today I even got a positive feedback from one of my writing buddies regarding some piece of dialogue!
But it was dialogue that explained a lot of stuff that otherwise would have been more like a report.
I write speculative fiction, and many of my characters are dealing with "being different". Which now makes a lot of sense to me. But makes me rethink my creative potential :P
What's you genre?

I write mostly horror. Most of my stuff is set in the present, everyday world, though one of my stories had a sci-fi setting.

DunaDuna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2022, 5:28 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
DunaDuna wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What's you genre?

I write mostly horror. Most of my stuff is set in the present, everyday world, though one of my stories had a sci-fi setting.

I like to read horror, as long it's not apocalyptic. One of stories has some horror elements in it, too. Though in the follow-ups (yes, I write a series) of that the "monster" turn out to be a good guy ;)

DunaDuna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2022, 5:43 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Yeah I write stories, Here's one I been working on.

Quote:
Donatello felt welling disgust as the first dark drops of menstrual blood struck the sewer in dime-sized drops. “For God’s sake, April, you got your period!” he cried. “Clean yourself up!”

“Ohuh?”

She looked around bovinely. Her auburn hair stuck to her cheeks in a curving helmet shape. For the roving tv reporter, the elusive stamp of hurt was already marked clearly in her eyes.

“Cowabunga” Raphael suddenly shouted with cryptic glee, and then burst into a shriek of laughter. Leonardo remembered the comment later and fitted it into a general picture, but now it was only another senseless sound in the confusion. An expedition to the Technodrome with no tampons, What was She was thinking. She must know what’s happening, she—

More droplets of blood. April still blinked around at the Turtles in slow bewilderment. As Krang watched on his monitor.

Michaelangelo turned around and made mock throwing-up gestures.

“You’re bleeding!” Splinter yelled suddenly, furiously. “You’re bleeding, you big dumb Shredder !”

April 'O Neil looked down at herself.

She shrieked.

The sound was very loud in the Sewer. Bebop and Rocksteady watched in the distance.

A empty Pzza box suddenly struck her in the chest and fell with a plop at her feet. A red flower stained the her bright yellow jumpsuit.

:ninja:

Ninja-Turtle fan fiction... took me a little to get that, but then I'm not an expert on Ninja turtles ;)

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 6:00 pm

I'm not a serious writer - I have about five readers who tune in whenever I upload new pages to my story. Still, I know my writing isn't great, I just like having it as a hobby and seeing if anyone wants to read it. At one point I scrapped it because I had way too much backstory to explain before I could get to the main plot.

Then I realised I was telling not showing and that it would be better if I had some of the plot points occur chronologically instead of having my characters just tell the audience about their past. Before the rewrite, it was a case of death by exposition.

However, I do worry about it being a slow start. The beginning is mainly just establishing a friendship in a slice of life setting with some magical realism. I'm not sure if it's enough to maintain interest, I did sprinkle in some hints of future plot points but I'm wondering if I'm doing it right. However, starting in the middle of an action scene is controversial and I don't think it'd quite work with the kind of story I'm trying to tell. Pacing is something I'm still trying to figure out, so if anyone has any advice on that - please let me know.

Interestingly, I had a character who originally was going to be a bit of a jerk, but in the rewrite he's actually fairly likable now.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 6:03 pm

DunaDuna wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
DunaDuna wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What's you genre?

I like to read horror, as long it's not apocalyptic. One of stories has some horror elements in it, too. Though in the follow-ups (yes, I write a series) of that the "monster" turn out to be a good guy ;)

I did write one zombie apocalypse story once, but otherwise I'm of the opinion that the zombie genre has had it's fifteen minutes an hour and a half ago.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 7:35 am

DunaDuna wrote:
Ninja-Turtle fan fiction... took me a little to get that, but then I'm not an expert on Ninja turtles ;)

That's a story about April, the sexy redhead reporter, I like to feel I gave her a more fleshed out characterization. Give her human dimensions. I'm working on something new now. Tentatively called "Family Hotel."

Quote:
Peter thought: Officious little pervert.

Herbert stood five-five, and when he moved, it was with the slow speed that seems to be the exclusive domain of all 97 year old men. He had a high-pitched, very soft, effeminate voice and with a slight whistle lisp. He was wearing a light blue robe and slippers and used a zimmer-frame walker to get around.

As he listened to Herbert speak, Peter admitted to himself that he hadn't been the best father to Christopher and Megan.

Herbert had asked a question he hadn’t caught. That was bad; Herbert was the type of man who would file such lapses away in a mental Rolodex for later consideration.

“I’m sorry?”

“I asked if your wife fully understood what you would be taking on here. And there’s your infant son, of course.” He glanced down at the application in front of him. “Peter. Your wife isn’t a bit intimidated by the idea?”

“Louis is an extraordinary woman.”

“And your son, Stewart, is also extraordinary?”

Peter smiled, big wide, teeth shining. “We like to think so, I suppose. He’s quite self-reliant for a one-year-old child prodigy with homicidal tendencies.”

No returning smile from Herbert. He slipped Peter's application back into a file. The file went into a drawer. The desk top was now completely bare except for lubricant, a telephone, a dildo, and an in/out basket. Both sides of the in/out were empty, too.

Herbert stood up and went to the file cabinet in the corner. “Step around the desk, if you will, Mr. Griffin. We’ll look at the hotel floor plans.”

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

DunaDuna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2022, 11:34 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
I'm not a serious writer - I have about five readers who tune in whenever I upload new pages to my story. Still, I know my writing isn't great, I just like having it as a hobby and seeing if anyone wants to read it. At one point I scrapped it because I had way too much backstory to explain before I could get to the main plot.

Then I realised I was telling not showing and that it would be better if I had some of the plot points occur chronologically instead of having my characters just tell the audience about their past. Before the rewrite, it was a case of death by exposition.

However, I do worry about it being a slow start. The beginning is mainly just establishing a friendship in a slice of life setting with some magical realism. I'm not sure if it's enough to maintain interest, I did sprinkle in some hints of future plot points but I'm wondering if I'm doing it right. However, starting in the middle of an action scene is controversial and I don't think it'd quite work with the kind of story I'm trying to tell. Pacing is something I'm still trying to figure out, so if anyone has any advice on that - please let me know.

Interestingly, I had a character who originally was going to be a bit of a jerk, but in the rewrite he's actually fairly likable now.

Oh yes! Backstories or describing complex worlds have led me to rethink the whole writing thing. though fictional, I just "know" how things work in my story, and what characters experiences what. And if not, I just invent something to fill the hole. But my others (readers) don't know that, and sometimes I feel trying to explain everything is not worth the effort ;)

I discovered screenwriting helps me pinpoint the setting and action (including dialogues). You don't have any character telling endlessly about their past or feeling or state of mind on screen. It may be a voice over, but the visual aspects are always there, and being more visual than verbal, this really works.

You have a place where you share your story?

DunaDuna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2022, 11:44 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
DunaDuna wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
DunaDuna wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What's you genre?

Quote:
I did write one zombie apocalypse story once, but otherwise I'm of the opinion that the zombie genre has had it's fifteen minutes an hour and a half ago.

So true! But I think covid got a lot of people take up the zombie-topic. It had like a revival before it was completely dead.
But there are so many different ways to explain the extinction of a species :wink:

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 3:50 pm

DunaDuna wrote:

Oh yes! Backstories or describing complex worlds have led me to rethink the whole writing thing. though fictional, I just "know" how things work in my story, and what characters experiences what. And if not, I just invent something to fill the hole. But my others (readers) don't know that, and sometimes I feel trying to explain everything is not worth the effort ;)

I discovered screenwriting helps me pinpoint the setting and action (including dialogues). You don't have any character telling endlessly about their past or feeling or state of mind on screen. It may be a voice over, but the visual aspects are always there, and being more visual than verbal, this really works.

You have a place where you share your story?

I had to write a short screenplay for University when I made a short film back when I was a student. During the time when I was looking for actors, I remember one applicant asked me how I managed to capture the introverted anxious nature of the main character so well. I simply replied "Uh, my life I guess" :lol:

The short film was an incredibly rushed project, so I very much had to throw a script together last minute based on the theme my group had picked. We had to scrap hiring actors and fill the roles ourselves. Originally I'd written in a voiceover, but my tutor complained it was too outdated, so I made it into a sequence of emails instead (because it was in an office setting). Truly an awful piece of cinematography but it was fun to make. Even though I wrote the script, I found myself improvising since there were a couple of lines that didn't flow as well as I'd liked. Granted, I'd written the script at 3 AM in a state of student despair and chaos.

Anyway, yes, I agree that screenwriting is good for considering the visual side of the story. Often I either have the problem of too much dialogue, or I get too wrapped up in describing insignificant visual details. It can be a difficult balance. Particularly in older stories of mine, I had a habit of going overboard with personification.

Yes, I share my stories on Wattpad. I know it has a reputation of having bad quality stories, that's why I picked it. People aren't expecting high class storytelling from me, so it lessens the pressure. Yet at the same time, hopefully offering some form of brief entertainment to a handful of people.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 3:56 pm

Explains why ^ you write so well. You had practice. Pressure of script-writing, I don't know how you can handle it, to be so creative. Writers block would finish me off, right at the start, even attempting such a thing. And what i did write would be trashed, because of my perfectionism.