Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 10:23 pm

The original Sorgens Kammer was repetitive, short, boring, plagiarized, and just plain sucked.
This however is a full length song with good vocals and great music. If you don't like it, you either don't like black metal, or you don't like Dimmu Borgir. I have most of their albums, I've heard the original Sotrmblast, the new Stormblast is 100 times better and probably their best and most black metal album. Whats the problem with their image? Corpse paint, inverted crosses, spiky black clothes, wow, that sounds like EVERY BLACK METAL BAND IN HISTORY to me, so bring it up with Immortal if you don't like Dimmu's image.
I mean, which one do you prefer?

This:

Or this:

username88
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 10:39 pm

It just so happens that you chose some silly examples. Immortal always looked funny, from the beginning. Whats better is that they were serious about it :lol: Also I think the old Sorgens Kammer is sorta soothing, which I used to listen to every once in a while years back, when I felt I needed to.
Old Emperor is the best example of what Im trying to get at here, and musically..
(Turn up the volume so you can hear better)
http://www.youtube.com/v/AdoAHPqGCeY&rel=1

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 10:54 pm

If you want to hear old Sorgens Kammer, you can just play the videogame it was stolen from! I don't think anyone would have ever given a damn about it if they didn't make Del 2, now all of a sudden its like some great song and its a tragedy they got rid of it. First off, they had to get rid of it cause it was stolen, and second, they never liked Sotrmblast, they made new Stormblast because they didn't like the way the first one turned out, they don't care if anyone else likes it or not.
But what I like best about it is, I don't have to turn the volume way up to hear it and it doesn't sound like it was recorded in a cardboard box in a dumpster in a wherehouse in a cave, I can get the full effect from the music, not like in ancient Emperor recordings.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 11:10 pm

The quality in the actual albums arent that bad lol.. Plus, the poor quality is all part of the legacy of early black metal, its just something Im almost attached to. Personally it doesnt bother me at all, and if anything adds an interesting affect to it. I always liked the old SK, because I didnt know if it was originally from something else, and I didnt care. The reason they made a new Stormblaast was to keep up with the "New BM" image. Whatever else they said was just to back up this reason. Its all about the money with them, their passion is completely gone.

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 11:25 pm

And you have some sort of evidence to back up this accusation?
I could say My Chemical Romance only started making music to exploit a trend and make money, but that doesn't make it f*****g so. I'd sooner believe what Dimmu said than what you blindly accuse them of because you don't like them. The new Stormblast has better drumming, better vocals, better guitar and bass and much better keyboards, the quality is much better so the music doesn't sound fuzzy and hollow, the songs are heavier and louder and have more structure, even the album cover is much better. I don't care if they did it for all the reasons they say they did or the reason you say they did, cause I'm glad they did it.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 11:45 pm

Typically its what happens to a lot of popular bands as time goes on, the best examples being Dimmu, Satyricon, and Cradle, even Darkthrone.. Just by looking at their new style, and approach to (what they call) "black metal", you just know they went down this path to never return. Im glad Emperor didnt do this. They didnt want to be one of those bands that didnt know when to stop making albums, which was a wise decision. A Dimmu example.. Track 5 from ForAll Tid compaired to the one you displayed.. What Im trying to get at in this example is the instrument work, which is infinetly more emotional, meaningful, interesting, and comprehensive. Track 6 and 8 are good examples too, but vocally as well. Or how about Inno A Satana from Emperor compaired to that Dimmu track? Thats an even better example. Thats just in the (synth) melodic black metal subgenre Im referring to right now. The same problem is happening in raw BM, but not as much thankfully. Over all black metal is dying, meant for those who were fans in the 80s and 90s. There just arent enough bands these days who are keeping the true and original image alive.

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 12:16 am

I was hearing a lot of negative reactions to Emperor's latest work, if I remember correctly.
But anyway, you obviously have a blind prejeduce against any black metal that doesn't sound fuzzy and distorted and old, the only difference between new and old Dimmu is that they now have more talented band members, better sound quality, and they are pretty much better in every way, but its still "new" so people will b***h about it as if its not as good. This talk of old Dimmu being "infinetly more emotional, meaningful, interesting, and comprehensive", that is all in the ear of the beholder, you may think that but I would use an example like Blood Hunger Doctrine from the Death Cult album for that same description, and lets not forget that if there was a My Chemical Romance fan that was smart enough to understand what those words mean, they would use those words to describe some gay MCR song. Does that make it true?
As far as their image, THEY LOOK THE SAME AS THEY ALWAYS DID, look at old Dimmu pics, their image hasn't changed much, if anything, its only more black metal now than it was before.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 2:24 am

-..-

Last edited by username88 on 04 Nov 2007, 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 2:24 am

Last edited by username88 on 04 Nov 2007, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 2:25 am

So they dont look the same. Anyway, I totally was completely obsessed with black metal all through my teenage years, and I still am. I was never exposed to all of this new material though (except for when it started to come out), so its hard for me to make any sort of connection to it.. Because it is indeed very different from what it used to be. To me, it is an entirely different thing, rather than an evolution. To my ears, a lot of the genre just doesnt feel as.. Well, magical as it used to. It has so much more sentimental value to me too.. I guess thats the best way I can describe it. Im cool with you liking new material, its just personally not my thing.
Also, the latest Emperor album does sound different from what they used to be, but I never said I enjoy it very much either. Its a good thing they stopped after that release.

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 2:44 am

I like some old black metal, but its harder for me to get into because it is usually poor quality, sounds kinda hollow and empty, the music is rather simple, void of much melody, and usually the vocals sound pretty crappy. All I care about is the music, newer stuff has better quality and is usually more complex and heavy, I don't care if you call it black metal or not, I just like the music.
Hey, you ever listen to Ragnarok? They are a norwegian black metal band, not exactly old, only formed about 13 years ago, but you might like them. Their music doesn't sound fuzzy and distorted and ancient, but you should check em out anyway.
http://www.myspace.com/ragnarok

username88
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 5:33 am

Yup, I have listened to them before, not bad. Although not my favorite. But as you have stated that old BM is simple, has less melody and crappy vocals, perhapse someone needs to introduce you to some of it.. Well, some of it may seem simple to most people but it isnt to me because theres a lot of "feeling" behind it. The other stuff just doesnt provoke any emotion for me.

This ones a classic
Bathory- Enter The Eternal Fire

One of my personal favorites
(first song)
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =117847770

-
(Heres one we will both like)
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=20371366

What Im looking to show you isnt exactly on myspace from what I can tell and theres no other way so good luck with your search if you become interested..

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 6:28 am

Ha, I was listening to Moonblood when I heard where you got your sig from. I like this band, never even heard of em though. I still would prefer it if the music was newer and better quality, clean produced music is just pleasing to my ears. I put up with it for Motorhead though.
Anyway, the music is great, but it is still a little simple and kinda hollow and empty and almost everything I said about old stuff, except its got good melody.
All I really care about is the music anyway.
But as for Aborym, they aren't all that old, so kinda invalid to your point. I really like them though and I'm glad you told me about them. Its hard for me to get into some black metal bands cause, you know, where the hell am I gonna hear about them from? My friend has introduced me to some black metal bands that I probably never would have heard of otherwise, but its not like I go hunting for black metal bands on my own. So when I heard Aborym, the first thing I thought of was Puritania by Dimmu, their music sounds a lot like that song, he vocals also sound like new Stormblast Dimmu, so I don't know why you like them but you don't like the vocals on new Stormblast.
Well thanks a lot for telling me about Aborym, I like them a lot. Speaking of which, if you like them, you should check out Vesania if you aren't familiar. They are Orion's band (the guitarist from Behemoth), they make some seriously f**kin twisted and complex music. You can easily here the Behemoth influence in it, and Behemoth is like my 4th favorite band so I love Vesania.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 7:05 am

Well, they are from the mid ninties, so they still count :P
Plus, the album by them I like the most is Fire Walk With Us, the releases after that are just... "alright" in my opinion, from what is supplied on the myspace page.
As far as complexity goes, Belphegor does it for me completely. The Goatchrist from Lucifer Incestus is pure genius, and definetly corresponds with some of the anger I feel.. Its just so perfect for certain moments. Especially how For Fire and Void Become One by Deathspell Omega does. Behemoth is very similar to Belphegor these days, so they are just as good in my opinion. Most other (new) "complex" music sounds like a heap of abstract sound that doesnt mix well (..to me anyway), so if Vesania sounds like either of those two bands then I will check it out without question.

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 7:27 am

I still don't have Lucifer Incestus, I was thinking of getting it eventually. I have Goatreich Fleshcult and Pestapokalypse. I like both of them a lot, but I think Pestapokalypse is my favorite. My favorite song by them, Sanctus Perversum, is on there. I think that is one of the most musically brilliant songs I have ever heard, and the lyrics are awesome.
But anyway, Vesania sounds a lot like Behemoth, and also like . . . I don't know, you would just have to hear them and decide for yourself.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 9:20 am

f**k I forgot about Anaal Nathrakh. I used to listen to them on an online radio station a long time ago I forgot what it was called though.. But anyway, those guys are f*****g insane, and amazing. Imo.