Anyone here write Childrens Stories for 10-12 year olds?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 3:05 pm

I've been looking for some good authors on the net... I'm thinking of starting to write teen fiction after writing ordinary stories that I'd write in the classroom so I need some ideas... the book I'm writing at the moment is hardly very good but I'm hoping you lot can help me improve on my writing

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Nov 2007, 4:01 pm

Is it just ideas you need?

xx Dan Monster

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 7:30 pm

I did when I was 10 or 12. o.O

Kurtz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2007, 8:13 pm

I have always had an interest in children's authors, and maybe one day writing them - I seem to have a knack when it comes to dealing with kids. I have not written any myself, but there are some authors who are really good, and can really relate to children, so I think it might help if you gave some of these a go.

These are authors who speak to children without talking down to them - they actually give the child some credit, and that can be huge for a kid, especially a gifted one.

Heinlein's "Juveniles" are great books which have some pretty complicated themes and moral philosophy which are made accessible.

Lois Lowry's "The Giver" is just excellent. This is perfect for the 8-12 range. This is the first book of a trilogy, I've read the second, but I have yet to read the third. Heartbreaking, but in a good way.

Maniac Magee is possibly the most beautiful story I have ever read.

Anything by Roald Dahl is excellent too.

And last but certainly not least is George Orwell. In my teenage years I withdrew almost completely into my head, and I spent hours and hours reading his books. My grandfather left me his books when he died, and among them were about a dozen of Orwell's books, including several biographies of him. I really liked his simple style which said so much more than flowery speech ever could. This link will take you to a site with his complete works.

From Wikipedia's entry on Orwell:

In "Politics and the English Language," George Orwell provides six rules for writers:

* Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
* Never use a long word where a short one will do.
* If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
* Never use the passive voice where you can use the active.
* Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
* Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

Good luck!

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2007, 7:19 am

If you want I can send you one of the stories I'm doing to have a look at and help me improve on,At the moment it's just a story I'd write in the classroom but I'd prefer to have a go at teen fiction, seeing as I can edit it. seeing as I have no idea whether a 9 year old will ever be able to write teenage fiction, :)

Kurtz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2007, 5:37 pm

gismo wrote:
If you want I can send you one of the stories I'm doing to have a look at and help me improve on,At the moment it's just a story I'd write in the classroom but I'd prefer to have a go at teen fiction, seeing as I can edit it. seeing as I have no idea whether a 9 year old will ever be able to write teenage fiction, :)

You're only NINE??? I had no idea! I keep forgetting that everyone here is a genius. I think you'll be an amazing writer!

I'd be honored to read your work.

In the meantime, there are some more books you might like to read that I forgot to mention. Brian Doyle is from my hometown of Ottawa, and most of his novels take place there, so it was cool to read those when I was younger, what with all the landmarks and stuff. I'm actually re-reading one of his books called "Spud in Winter" right now, which is excellent. Its that mix of humour and sadness that gets me every time.