I'm going to coin a new genre of music....

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 5:01 am

My friend and I are going to try to make a new kind of band. A tri-hybrid genre that's so weird, that your mind will have a hard time comprehending it:
Grunge + Ska + New Wave (or Grungskawave as we call it)
It'll consist of a sludgy grunge guitar, a new wave/electropop-ish sounding keyboard, probably a saxophone, and drums.
Do you guys think it'll sound like angels whispering in your ear, or the complete opposite?

Wabbits
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2007, 6:39 am

:D 8O :oops: :lol:

Last edited by Wabbits on 03 Dec 2007, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 7:26 am

You can coin terms all you want but they wont stick, it's the media who decides what the styles are called.

I might not like it but there's always somebody who would.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 11:03 am

Cyanide wrote:
My friend and I are going to try to make a new kind of band. A tri-hybrid genre that's so weird, that your mind will have a hard time comprehending it:
Grunge + Ska + New Wave (or Grungskawave as we call it)
It'll consist of a sludgy grunge guitar, a new wave/electropop-ish sounding keyboard, probably a saxophone, and drums.
Do you guys think it'll sound like angels whispering in your ear, or the complete opposite?

Well now. New wave and ska together could make a lot of sense, it'd just be quite poppy ska with a bit of keyboards. Why the hell you'd want to put sludgy guitars in there is anybodys guess though - it would just make it sound like a bit of a mess.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 11:25 am

I'd listen to it and probably like it.

I mean, I listen to a now-defunct band that combined beat poetry with jazz and rock. That's unusual in itself.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Last edited by beau99 on 28 Nov 2007, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 12:08 pm

I wouldn't listen to it because I don't like ska. Sorry if I sound like a know-it-all, but I think that sound has been done before. I can get back to you with examples at a later date. I don't know names of bands, but I know I've heard that type of music before. Those three genres have been combined with just about everything.

Capriccio
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2007, 3:47 pm

I'd like to hear this! You do a good job, maybe I'll buy the CD :)

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 3:42 am

beau99 wrote:

I mean, I listen to a now-defunct band that combined beat poetry with jazz and rock. That's unusual in itself.

Beat Poetry is influenced by Jazz, so it's really just a Jazz Fusion band, which is fairly common.

Try Ephel Duath if you want a strange Jazz Fusion band.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 10:04 am

Deus_ex_machina wrote:
beau99 wrote:

Beat Poetry is influenced by Jazz, so it's really just a Jazz Fusion band, which is fairly common.

Yeah, but this was different. The majority of the lyrics were written under the influence of heroin and/or ecstasy, causing for some really strange tunes.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 9:02 pm

beau99 wrote:
Deus_ex_machina wrote:
beau99 wrote:

Yeah, but this was different. The majority of the lyrics were written under the influence of heroin and/or ecstasy, causing for some really strange tunes.

Meaningless difference, it's still just a Jazz Fusion band.

aguales
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2007, 11:10 pm

but how's the singer gonna sing? in a poppy/new-wave way or in a reggae-tinged/ska way or in an indecipherable melange of vocal tics ala grunge? This is important!

I say you should scream and grunt like a death-metal vocalist or go beastie boy on that sound and be an MC.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 11:24 pm

aguales wrote:
but how's the singer gonna sing? in a poppy/new-wave way or in a reggae-tinged/ska way or in an indecipherable melange of vocal tics ala grunge? This is important!

I say you should scream and grunt like a death-metal vocalist or go beastie boy on that sound and be an MC.

A disturbing mix. Perhaps there'll be several vocalists singing in each style. Or several vocalists singing in various combinations of each.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 1:32 am

It sounds like some of the bands that play at Super Happy Fun Land.
We get so many genres of music that I can't think of many bases that have not been covered.
Never hurts to try though....
all the different genras end up smooshing into the sludge called "Experimental"...

Will the songs be distinct and have structure? That will make a big impression on how good the stuff will sound. You can have a band consisting of any multitude of instumental combinations, and the thing that really makes the band is the palatability of the songs.

I am in a "Comedy Noise" band called "the Annoysters"
That is sort of an odd genre that we sorta made up. We parodise other noise/experimental acts and all of our "songs" involve hands-on audience particpation

I used to call my acoustic act with Flakey (it was called "Fluff") "Autistic Folk Music"...(and this was before I knew a thing about Aspergers)...

my other band "Organ Failure" has been called "Outsider Comedy Rock"
Though it is my understanding that it is not good to throw the tern "outsider" around just because you have crazy people in your band...

it's fun to come up with different genres