Guitars: Are more expensive guitars easier to play?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

KindofBlue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Mar 2008, 6:22 pm

Around 5 years ago, I bought a cheapo 100 buck guitar and a 200 buck Seagull, and played for only a year. I stopped mostly because I had trouble fretting, forming chords. The strings felt like cables instead of well, like strings. I needed an iron grip in my left hand to form chords. Changing chords efficiently wasn't progressing as I had hoped.

I am wondering, for those of you who have more expensive guitars such as Martins, are they easier to fret?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 6:38 pm

As far as electric guitars, not so much. I do notice a difference between really cheap acoustic guitars and good ones. The better built ones have proper clearances. The cheap ones can have the strings too high or low. That being said, if you can play a cheap guitar, you can play and expensive one. The only guitar I own now is a cheap 3/4 size acoustic. My favorite is the classical guitars, the action is very soft, and they have a mellow sound.

PowersOfTen

11 Mar 2008, 2:56 am

Generally, the lower the action the easier it will be to play, and more expensive guitars will have lower action. There are also designs with fatter or skinnier necks, and better or worse lower fret access, which can impact playability. Also, a nylon string classical guitar is much easier on the fingers if you're only into acoustics. But just so you know, I personally have no real issue with playing most any high quality steel string, I've played for about 9 years.

If you're interested in electrics, that is really where I have more expertise.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 12:42 pm

Yes, but I honestly think it is a learning experience to be able to play on a badly made guitar. It gives you that finger strength you refer to and just makes you a better player when you pick up an easier guitar.

But 'easy' is subjective, really, so it's not really a yes-or-no answer as simply as that.