Really dark instrumental/noise music.

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2009, 2:54 pm

Steve Roach is my favorite artist of the New Age genre (or trance or dark music, whatever label it is one uses). I also like Byron Metcalf, Brian Lustmord. But my second favorite artist is Michael Stearns. David Helpling is also good, but I can't seem to find any of his CDs in stores. I am right now listening to Steve's latest, and it is awesome. Very much like Structures from Silence, and The Magnificent Void. I am a big fan of dark music, especially the beatless kind. Stuff I can really trance to. It also helps my writing. If I find a track that is perfect for my muse, I will play it over and over and over. If the story is dark, I will choose a dark piece. Sometimes I listen to Deep Forest. If the story is fantasy, I might choose someone like Enya or the soundtrack to Lord of the Rings. But most of my writing is more along the lines of Steve Roach. He helps me paint pictures in my head of my story.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 4:30 am

I see my old thread has been resurrected. :)

I actually found something very close to what I had in mind. I really like the stuff off the album Horizons by Northaunt.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2009, 11:48 am

Horizons? I'd love to hear that one. Any online samples?

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 2:02 pm

marshall wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations? I can’t give any groups because I don’t know any that make this kind of music. I just imagine the sound of it in my head. Perhaps if people can post some stuff I can respond and let you know close it is to what I’m looking for. Then I can narrow it down.

Mogwai
Godspeed you black emporer
Supersilent
Tourtise

And you may want to check out slowdive and my bloody valentine

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 2:27 pm

starygrrl wrote:
marshall wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations? I can’t give any groups because I don’t know any that make this kind of music. I just imagine the sound of it in my head. Perhaps if people can post some stuff I can respond and let you know close it is to what I’m looking for. Then I can narrow it down.

Mogwai
Supersilent
Tourtise

GYBE is one of my favorite bands but they haven't re-united to make new music for 7 years. :(

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 2:32 pm

Aspiewriter wrote:
Horizons? I'd love to hear that one. Any online samples?

http://www.last.fm/music/Northaunt/Horizons

:D

I especially like the track called "the wilderness".

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 6:12 pm

marshall wrote:
starygrrl wrote:
marshall wrote:

Mogwai
Supersilent
Tourtise

GYBE is one of my favorite bands but they haven't re-united to make new music for 7 years. :(

Actually I saw one of their last shows.
They didn't break up per say. GSYBE is now Silver Mt. Zion, and they have played lots of shows. They sound a little different, but its the same folks.

Also you must check out Slint. They started the whole math and post rock sub-genre (its why in places outside of the US post-rock is refered to as "Chicago music".

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 1:37 am

Iszoloscope:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-aPJOpVi4[/youtube]

Elend:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIg2hfqhhyg[/youtube]

Lustmord:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk8klfQEf0Q[/youtube]

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 2:28 am

This is stuff I like...

http://www.last.fm/music/Northaunt/_/Night+Came+To+Us?autostart

More melancholy/desolate than the sci-fi/horror/gothic sound of Lustmord's stuff.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2009, 9:56 am

Lustmord is awesome!! ! That youtube link was great. But I seem to have a hard time for any Lustmord's stuff in stores down here. Most of San Antonio has Barnes and Noble and Borders with a terrible selection of New Age. The kind of New Age I like to listen to they don't usually have. Michael Stearns and Steve Roach. Metcalf and Lustmord are so hard to find. Anyone know a place online where I can get some of Lustmord?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 2:59 pm

Aspiewriter wrote:
Lustmord is awesome!! ! That youtube link was great. But I seem to have a hard time for any Lustmord's stuff in stores down here. Most of San Antonio has Barnes and Noble and Borders with a terrible selection of New Age. The kind of New Age I like to listen to they don't usually have. Michael Stearns and Steve Roach. Metcalf and Lustmord are so hard to find. Anyone know a place online where I can get some of Lustmord?

I wish I knew as well. I'd really like to get <this> track. I like the subtle ultra-low pitched hum in the background that slowly gets louder and rises to the forefront. It kind of reminds me of the ending to Kafka's story "The Burrow".

Judah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Aug 2009, 10:09 am

marshall wrote:
Fogman wrote:
It's not entirely instrumental, but the final SWANS release, 'Soundtracks For The Blind' is good stuff.

You may also want to look into these as well:

Boris / Merzbow - Sun Baked Snow Cave

Sunn 0))) - Black One

Boris / Sunn 0))) - Altar

Further artists you may with to check out are:

Earth
Merzbow
Controlled Bleeding/Paul Lemos
Sutcliffe Jugend
Fushitsusha/Keiji Haino
KK Null
Doc Wor Mirran
5ive

I listened to the SWANS recommendation. I liked the mood but it seemed bit too heavy on the traditional “synth” sound than what I’m looking for. I’m looking for something with a more organic sound. Sampled white noise effects, wind effects, haunting notes, harsh noises, glitchy stuff. Sorry for being picky.

I recently downloaded an album called Substrata by Biosphere. I like track 10 (sphere of no form) on that album. I’ll probably buy that album but it’s rare and expensive so I have to wait till I have the money.

I'd like to find something with similar sounds to track 10 on Substrata, but slightly more dense and less "minimal".

I’ll check out the other recommendations later.

What you want is Lustmord or Batcheeba. That is some of the eeriest s**t I have ever heard, to an extreme. I'm not sure if anyone here has already mentioned them, I haven't read through everything. Xasthur is my personal favorite when it comes to black ambient, Malefic, the man who runs it, is a genius, and he also has a hand in Sunn O))), which several people have mentioned. Xasthur makes you experience feelings you didn't even know you had. I also maintain my own black ambient project, called Krowhaven. You can find it on myspace, if you're curious.

I am sitting on the moon.

kekekeke
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2009, 7:13 am

Don't really know what you're looking for, just toss out a few..oh yea some of this isn't for the impatient listener

Black Mayonnaise may be what you seek if you can find. them.

Profanum's - Musauem Esotericum

ive found some parts from the new Zoroaster album "Voice of Saturn" in my head. artwork

YOB - The Great Cessation. While I'm at it.

I recommend Godflesh for you Jesu listeners, same guy just from a different point of view

Judah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Sep 2009, 1:06 pm

kekekeke wrote:
Don't really know what you're looking for, just toss out a few..oh yea some of this isn't for the impatient listener

Black Mayonnaise may be what you seek if you can find. them.

Profanum's - Musauem Esotericum

ive found some parts from the new Zoroaster album "Voice of Saturn" in my head. artwork

YOB - The Great Cessation. While I'm at it.

I recommend Godflesh for you Jesu listeners, same guy just from a different point of view

Godflesh is awesome.

I am sitting on the moon.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 10:48 pm

Wow. This thread keeps coming back. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I really like "The Place Where the Black Stars Hang" by Lustmord. That's the perfect mood that I like, especially with the bass turned way up.

MattD
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2009, 11:19 pm

Try Symphonic Holocaust by Morte Macabre, its a dark prog album with music from old horror movies.