Aspies and school shootings. [*fiction*]

Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 8:00 am

Sounds like a very interesting novel. IMO teasing and bullying is the major thing that causes teens to go shoot up schools. Getting people to understand that fact will cause schools to get serious about cracking down on bullying.

My suggestion, similar to one given by another poster, is in order to keep reading form associating AS with school shootings you should create a second aspie character that saves the day and prevents the shooting as a result of that second character's AS traits.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 8:48 am

It isn't the kind of AS story, I personally, would write, but I think you should continue to work on your project. It seems they implicate AS or some other condition in many school shootings. Not every AS person will shoot a whole group of people. I have gone through teasing and bullying myself, but never thought of killing anyone else. I can see if someone gets fed up with bullying at the hands of an individual attacker, and suddenly retaliates, out of frustration or even animalistic fear. That is different from planning out some revenge ahead of time, which many of these school shooters did. They also engaged in sneaky, secretive behavior.

Your story should be enlightening.

alienesque
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Mar 2008, 8:51 am

Why must he have Aspergers? No offence but of the AS people I have met and known, I'd say this was this was the last thing they'd ever be driven to do!

I also am a writer, but I strongly believe that we should all be responsible writers and realize that we could not only influence people to act in such a way (and shocking fact is some might be compelled to do the unthinkable), but in this case to encourage fear and mistrust of afflicted.

Sorry but I wouldn't read your book! I'd never tell a writer not to write, but in light of all too similar recent real events, I consider the whole thing to be in extremely bad taste.

victorvndoom
Toucan
Toucan

25 Mar 2008, 11:49 am

dont give other as peeps the idea of getting a gun and start shooting away to solve their problems , that is why i play games and do it there :p

ya but it helps as peeps with the same social problems in school as a deterent to not shoot their bullies then i would do it. I often said when i was bullied , when i grow up i am going to kill you but i didnt because i got over it. They are still bullying me in my sleep or in my social life because they hurt my trust in people and my social skills because of the bullying

or make a game called Bully the scholarship version (it is out now)

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 12:49 pm

I like the idea. I've definitely wanted to shoot up places before. If it happens in your book though, it would be better if he was very selective of who he killed. He would kill the people who were afraid of him and mean to him because they thought he was weird. He would spare anybody who had ever tried to be nice, and he would tote around a backpack filled with candy and if he ran into someone to be spared he would give them candy while they were cowering under a desk. That would be black humor and should make it less controversial.

The moral of the story will be, if you are an ass to an aspie, you die. If you are reasonable, you get candy.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 2:08 am

I was going to write one too, about a group of Aspies, the main character being a girl. I have writer's block though and am not really interested in writing that story anymore anyway. :(

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 8:36 am

I've written my own analysis of Cho's shooting: http://www.geocities.com/zinites_page/shootings.html. If I wrote a book about a school shooting, I would try to make the shooter as rational a character as possible.

I must say, I find it quite curious how liberally some of you insult Cho. You do it with offensive terms: "stupid," "crazy," and so on. How do you know you aren't feeding his flame? If you want an insight into Cho's motives, read my essay. If you find a flaw in the logic presented, do not be afraid to tell me.

I don't want any of you to worry about the behavior of one person diagnosed with AS ruining the reputation of the group. Psychiatrists choose who to diagnose.

That being said, I recommend that anyone who has ever thought of going on a shooting follow the advice in my essay: stay away from drugs, be kind to the less fortunate, remember that there are nice people in your classrooms, and remember that you're not alone.

Some "nerdy" kids like to pick on kids who are even nerdier. You may want to set an example for them by volunteering in service of the less fortunate.

alienesque

27 Mar 2008, 4:26 am

MikeH106 wrote:
I must say, I find it quite curious how liberally some of you insult Cho. You do it with offensive terms: "stupid," "crazy," and so on. How do you know you aren't feeding his flame?

Erm... Just maybe it's because he was a crazy-ass murderer, whose insane rampage took the lives of 32 people! Are you seriously arguing a case for him being misunderstood, or excusing what he did? 8O What he did was unpardonable in all human terms, people like him are far beyond sympathy. The voice of reason, and a sense of basic humanity & decency, should kick in and prevent anyone sane from ever doing the unthinkable. :evil: We are all at the mercy of nutcases like Cho.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 6:31 pm

alienesque wrote:
MikeH106 wrote:
I must say, I find it quite curious how liberally some of you insult Cho. You do it with offensive terms: "stupid," "crazy," and so on. How do you know you aren't feeding his flame?

Erm... Just maybe it's because he was a crazy-ass murderer, whose insane rampage took the lives of 32 people!

And you're sure that namecalling won't make it worse?

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2008, 6:48 pm

Can you write it without the protaganist (antagonist?) being an aspie?

I can't tell you how many days I went home from high school thinking "I don't like Mondays".

alienesque

27 Mar 2008, 7:05 pm

MikeH106 wrote:
alienesque wrote:
MikeH106 wrote:

Erm... Just maybe it's because he was a crazy-ass murderer, whose insane rampage took the lives of 32 people!

And you're sure that namecalling won't make it worse?

Oh come on are you seriously trying to save the feelings of a man who murdered 32 innocent people and shot another 25. What about the feelings of the people he injured or the relatives of people he killed or injured? There is something seriously wrong with some of the people on this board who are sympathising with a cold blooded murder and who just happened to be a crazy man. I've had it with this board. If you are 'feeling his flame' - them please see a psychiatrist before you harm anyone (and show him your webpage shrine to Cho - and why exactly are you addressing him by his first name?), since you must be just as crazy as that murdering bastard. Hope he rots in hell.

Last edited by alienesque on 27 Mar 2008, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2008, 7:28 pm

alienesque: Some people actually felt more sympathetic of the killers rather than the ones being killed. Some people see things from the killer's perspective, was he picked on? Rejected? Discriminated?

If he kills just for the hell of it, then I would not be sympathetic of him.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:29 pm

alienesque wrote:
Oh come on are you seriously trying to save the feelings of a man who murdered 32 innocent people and shot another 25. What about the feelings of the people he injured or the relatives of people he killed or injured? There is something seriously wrong with some of the people on this board who are sympathising with a cold blooded murder and who just happened to be a crazy man. I've had it with this board.

Sympathy isn't the same as empathy. It means that you understand how someone feels, even if you don't agree with his or her actions.

I'm sorry you feel like leaving, alienesque. I didn't mean to offend you.

Quote:
If you are 'feeling his flame'

To make a minor correction, I asked you whether you thought you might be feeding his flame.

I've outlined two ways that school shootings can be prevented in my essay. Either be kind, or give them a reason to be happy.

How many of you know how it feels to want to commit suicide? It's an awful feeling.

alienesque

27 Mar 2008, 7:35 pm

MikeH106 wrote:
How many of you know how it feels to want to commit suicide? It's an awful feeling.

Suicide is competely different from committing cold calculated mass murder. :evil:

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2008, 7:36 pm

MikeH106 wrote:

I know how it feels to find your best friend has successfully committed suicide.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:58 pm

I don't want to shock too many of you, but lately I've been feeling that way. What upsets me is that although doing so would crush my family, I've remained unhappy.

I've been hearing these stupid voices in my head that do nothing but call me names. They have absolutely no influence on my moral values or attitude toward the world, and serve only to distract me. Yet I hear them. They're like little bullies who follow me around and tease me during my normal daily activities. Can you imagine how that must feel? To be completely sane and yet hear namecalling in your head every day?