Page 2 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

innov79
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Mar 2008, 6:06 pm

emo/screamo, hardcore, (some) contry, rap, r n b, hip-hop, gospel, folk played by hipsters (execpt bob dylan), "post-punk" revival, punk, pop, metal and mexican polka

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 6:31 pm

Newer Country, esp self-righteous Toby Keith archetypes
Hip Hop, esp Soulja Boy
Sappy Love Songs "of 80s 90s and now"
Nearly all regurgitated pop
Gospel

Anything broadcasting too much on CMT, MTV (not MTV2 or FUSE) and BET are dislikes

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 6:37 pm

I really dislike rap/hip-hop. And no, for the stupid, it isn't a racist thing. I hate the way it sounds, I hate what they sing about, I just hate everything about those styles of music.

Soulja boy REALLY, REALLY sucks. I can't believe people actually listen to him, he's so awful!

I also don't like death metal. Metal is perfectly fine, but when they sing like a dieing walrus, it's highly annoying.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:23 pm

RAP and HIP HOP

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:41 pm

Most R&B and hip-hop
UK Hard House (It's not hard, and it's not house, it's stupid)
Garage (like DJ Luck and MC Neat, or that awful 'Beeper' song :eew: )
Trance
Happy Hardcore
Cheesy pop (like Macarena or Barbie Girl)
Most other kinds of pop (except Britpop, which is actually mostly good)
Emocore
Jazz

Genres which should be more popular:
Aspiecore (OK, so I made that one up) :P

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:49 pm

Might I add:

Bubblegum Pop
Dance Music(the successor to Disco)
R&B(post 80s)

as genres I cant stand :wink: . BTW Prussian Blue is FOLK, :P .

Nikky91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2008, 8:28 pm

Country, hip-hop and rap

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 11:28 pm

99% of stuff that's on country radio stations (I won't bash all country music because I like some of the older more "folksy" country)

Top 40 pop / dance / hip-hop music (e.g. Black Eyed Peas)

99% of rap / hip-hop. I can appreciate the artistry of some of it but lyrics about money, sex, and other cliche BS tend to ruin it for me.

Death metal and other genres that contain exclusively screamed vocals.

Most old school punk (sloppy 3 chord guitars and off-key singing).

Those “pop-punk” bands with boring music and whiny male vocals.

That insipid easy-listening / jazz / elevator music you hear in airports.

Last edited by marshall on 28 Mar 2008, 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

stickboy26
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2008, 12:46 am

Hmmmm.... well being a musician myself, I do have a wide range of appreciation for different styles, but there are a few that I just don't deal with very well:

1. Hip hop/rap

2. Country/western

3. Opera/Broadway style

4. Blues

5. Girly pop (Britney Spears, Hannah Montana, Hillary Duff, etc.) -- although occasionally in this case the artists themselves can be arous... ahem... fun to watch despite my distaste for their musical style... :P

UnclScrewtape
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2008, 5:31 pm

Any style of music that comes blaring out of cars with the bass turned exceedingly high. It is physically painful to me to the point I want to drag these idiots out of their cars and beat them with bricks.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 5:55 pm

Distasteful music topic

Most of the music nowadays is absolute junk. Country crap I will not listen to whether it is classical or not. I will listen to a song and if I like it I will add it to my collection. :eew:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

katefedele
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2008, 6:45 pm

I don't care about genres, because all music is the same to me in a way. the way i see it, the same song can be played two times, with only the slightest alteration (change the gender of the singer, play it faster, switch instruments, etc) and it will come out sounding COMPLETELY different, enough to be a whole different genre. For example, Bad Religion's "Sorrow" is DEFINATLEY a punk rock song, but if you here Greg Graffin play it and sing it by himself with an ACOUSTIC guitar instead, it turns into a folk song. or, lets see.. avril lavigne covered Basket Case once, and it sounded like pop, not even pop/rock. just plain old pop. another example is, i heard a heavy metal song played on the piano, and so obviously it was a different genre. there's just so much you can do to music to make it different. that's probly part of the reason the world hasn't run out of songs yet (although it's getting there)

RainKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2008, 6:53 pm

katefedele wrote:
I don't care about genres, because all music is the same to me in a way. the way i see it, the same song can be played two times, with only the slightest alteration (change the gender of the singer, play it faster, switch instruments, etc) and it will come out sounding COMPLETELY different, enough to be a whole different genre. For example, Bad Religion's "Sorrow" is DEFINATLEY a punk rock song, but if you here Greg Graffin play it and sing it by himself with an ACOUSTIC guitar instead, it turns into a folk song. or, lets see.. avril lavigne covered Basket Case once, and it sounded like pop, not even pop/rock. just plain old pop. another example is, i heard a heavy metal song played on the piano, and so obviously it was a different genre. there's just so much you can do to music to make it different. that's probly part of the reason the world hasn't run out of songs yet (although it's getting there)

You're absolutely correct. In the realm of pop music, the songs are all the same. They follow the verse/chorus structure, they have a three-chord progression, and they're in 4/4 time. There are around twenty chord progressions that are always being reused. The differences between styles are pretty much in choice of instrumental timbres (compare the guitars in country with the guitars in rock) and lyrical content. People pick their favorite styles and bash others, but they don't realize the difference is only a matter of. . .style.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 6:56 pm

songs where the song is initially good quality (sound-wise) but then the backup singer does something in a loewr quality like on the Tropicana commercial

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNv3C2rN6ik[/youtube]
standard quality-"Hey hey"
low quality-"it's what you're looking for"

Songs like that damn Cher song where she does that weird synth thing with her voice.

anything ultra repetitive

anything too tween

Songs like Barbie Girl or Like humans do it.

old-school country & western

gangsta rap

Jazz (just seems to sloppy for my tastes)

RainKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2008, 7:06 pm

ford_prefects_kid wrote:
haha, jazz covers so much as a genre. I bet most of you who write it off have not even heard most of the styles it contains.

You're right. I sort of felt offended when I read those posts. :( :? Especially d1nk0 thinking that it's exclusively upbeat. . . .that's just WRONG.

I'm also going to complain about people listing hip-hop. You've only heard a few popular songs, and you can't generalize from Soulja Boy to the whole genre. Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is one of my favorite records no matter the genre. Public Enemy was on a whole other level of intelligence than your stereotype of the genre. Also, there was Nas's Illmatic. You'd have to be dead to not appreciate his intellect, verbal and poetic skill, and authentic lyrics.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 8:55 pm

Most pop music from all genres that you hear on radio/mtv/vh1/etc.

Death metal/screamo.

Most heavy metal and punk.

Gangsta.

Most R & B.

Gospel/Christian.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History