Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 3:07 pm

What if the presence of God left tangible residues? Like an ectoplasmic goo that spontaneously appears whenever & wherever there is the Holy Spirit? First, someone discovers it, wonders at it, takes a sample. The lab can't identify the substance because it contains compounds unknown to science. Discovering what this stuff is and what it does is sheer happy accident.

This ectoplasm literaly comes out of nowhere. Mass & volume increase spontaneously, supposedly violating Newton's law of conservation of matter & energy. Supernatural in origin, so not bound by physical laws.

But is there a dark counterpart to this heavenly stuff? Of course, and it works the same way except it manifests the demonic presence as otherwordly gelatin.

It's Christian SF / Horror. :D

Who can pick it up from here?

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2008, 3:16 pm

I don't know if I'm religious, nor do I know if I identify with any religion in particular if I am.

That said, I've spent enough time with Christians to know that the Holy Spirit is supposed to be... well, everywhere, no? So where wouldn't this ectoplasm be? And wouldn't it eventually sort of overrun the world?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 3:19 pm

That is a great story idea!

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 3:37 pm

It's a residue, but non-persistant. The plasm would ebb & flow as the presence of the Spirit ebbed & flowed. So no it would not ovverrun the world. It could persist in a static dormant state for a while, thenm become active wherever the energy of the HS is present. Maybe it takes time for this stuff to manifest.

First discovery in a European country church or somewhere urban / secular like an underground subway system?

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 4:40 pm

I just had the lovely mental picture of a chruch congregation covered in Holy snot.

No offense meant.

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2008, 5:05 pm

Sorry, but this sounds like a really bad religous agenda partially disguised as a story. A story is more than just 'hey, let's write about christian goo'. There needs to be a plot, a threat, a moral standing, characterisation, drama, and action. What you have described sounds like Propaganda disguised as fiction.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 6:22 pm

Vorzac, I would never presume to influence the way you think with my writing. You know that, don't you?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 8:20 pm

If the story has any impact it has to influence people. What happens when people eat the goo or does it chase you like the Blob?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 8:47 pm

Gee, I haven't thought that far yet. Although if you found a giant pool of the stuff under the floorboards of an old church, you probably wouldn't be compelled to eat it.

No, this is not going to be a gelatinous killer blob like in that movie.

Think of the pink slime in Ghostbusters II. This goo reacts to human presence by a few degress of temp increase and slight expansion.

BTW I'm counting on some atheist-types to contribute a little hate & scorn. But that's not gonna stop me from writing this story. I need this. I've been in a creative block for at least 1 year.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 10:46 pm

I'm one of those atheist types but the concept of a creative intelligence is still permissible and fascinating. Suppose this slime has an inherent creativity and if stimulated in the right way creates living beings when stimulated correctly. It could be stimulated to create nasty creatures by an evil mind or beneficial life when controlled by the right mind. Perhaps it even created God, or various gods with odd powers when directed by a creative mind. Or perhaps it is discovered by a bright child who uses it to make living art. It's your concept. Run with it.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 2:15 am

Quote:
Sand wrote:
I'm one of those atheist types but the concept of a creative intelligence is still permissible and fascinating.

Sounds like you're actually agnostic, Sand. But thanks! :)