Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Would you use a pen name or a real name?
pen name 83%  83%  [ 10 ]
real name 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 7:42 pm

If you were a published author, would you use your real name, or adopt a pen name?

Non-hypothetical authors are welcome too.

Personally, I'd use Apera, or whatever interesting name i could make up. I don't want to be famous.

But they do not have me

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 7:57 pm

depends on what I'm writing. If I was doing some 'unseemly' story, my real name is so unusual it would be pretty easy to track me down. Pakleds rule!...;)

Thomas1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 May 2008, 8:00 pm

Yes, I use a pen name. It's nothing fancy, just my first and middle names.

I'm not a "published" writer, but I use it when I write a blog (I wrote on a mildly prominent presidential candidate web site) and it's written on my fiction that's floating around the internet.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 9:03 pm

I've used a pen name for my fiction, but that one is... odd. Furlings Are Cats. *anyone watch SG1? Anyone?*

When I get my stuff published, my pen name is Kip Cathey. My real last name, and a first name nickname.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 10:22 pm

I'm going through the same thing right now, trying to come up with a good stage name. I'm using my real name as a default, but it's not a good one to use long-term because my last name is hard to pronounce and spell, my middle name is boring, and my first name is also boring and associated with a certain age group - I was born at the end of the era when "Kim" was a popular name, so a lot of Kims are older than me, and few are younger. In music, you have to seem young if you can.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 4:08 pm

I use my nom d'plume that I assumed in 2000 - Xelebes.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

27 May 2008, 8:29 pm

Maybe pick something similar to a well known authors but different enough to be easily noticed as not being the same author, example Robert Jordan is well known therefore use Hugh Jorgan.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 8:49 pm

I kind of want to make up a pen name to establish my own identity as a writer.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2008, 12:23 am

I think my real name's catchy enough. I'll stick to it.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2008, 1:19 am

I use a shortened version of my first name and my middle name as a pen name. Or at least I would, if I ever saved any of my writing.

Scheherazade
Raven
Raven

28 May 2008, 1:41 am

My real name is pretty boring. Short and surprisingly common - I've never met someone with the same name, but there is a website with my name, and I can never get myname@ any email address carrier. I like my last name, so I'd always assumed I'd just trick-out my first name, extend it so that my real name, Amy, could still be an abbreviation.

But on the other hand... "Amy" is starting to sound less like a cheerleader name now that we've got Amys Winehouse and Lee and Poehler and Hempel on our team.

Eel_Nadroj
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 May 2008, 11:26 pm

I have two pen names for my poems that I write:
Eel Nadroj
Jae Lee

however I mainly use my real name when I make poems for intimate friends(girlfriends, admirers etc)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2008, 11:36 pm

Because my last name is short and only has one syllable, and would sound too corny and Waltons-esque, it would be one of the rare occasions where I would use Timothy in lieu of Tim.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 12:07 am

I would adopt a pen name esp being a female. I've heard study showing that most people including women won't pick a book with a female's name on it. Now that sounds overly dramatic but if push came to shove, I'd use a pen name like initials.

The same as for the woman who wrote the Harry Potter books. There's been a lot of successful authors without the pen names as well but I'd want to play my cards right. 8)

little-bird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2008, 1:27 pm

Yup, I would use/do use pen names. That way I don't feel like my privacy *gimme SPACE, man!* isn't invaded.
For writing I use a rather androgynous name. Partly because it gives me more distance, and partly like what MissConstrue says.

Nairin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 7:24 pm

If I wrote a book or a collection of poems or anything like that, my pen name would be Jillian Viles.

If I was in a band, my band nickname would be Bloodloss.

I'd use my real name if I made a comic book, but I sign my work "Meep". I've done that since I was seven.

Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams