Blue Jay

14 May 2009, 12:44 pm

THE EX! yeah!

or crass of course...

Ligea_Seroua
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 3:55 pm

Crackedpleasures, do you like the Phantom Chords at all? (Dave Vanian's rockabilly-ish project?)

The trouble with all the taxonomy, is it's belated. Most of the older bands were not trying to fit a stereotype of "punk".. that came later I think...(Mind you I'm old enough to remember the Ramones when they were all alive!)

Some omissions I'm sure should be on any punk band list....The New York Dolls. Television. And later, although I suppose actually psychobilly (although there used to be such a crossover amongst fans)..the Meteors.

Oh, forgot, the Lunachicks used to be one of my favourites (like STP, dickless etc, this long precedes L7, Distillers etc). And mentioning female fronted bands, I always liked X Ray Specs

BTW, Brody Dalle and Josh Homme have a child, I don't know if they are/were actually married....but I think that's a bit more than "hooking up"...I'm trying not to mind, I wish I looked like her :lol: :cry:

silvskaterdude
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 May 2009, 4:40 pm

ok since punk my fave music genre let's divide tis in parts.
1. punk

green day
sum 41
billy talent
rise against
mest
hit the lights
cute is what we aim for
marianus trecnh
ten second epik
cautris
red jump suit aparatus
fall out boy
nofx
bad reglion
big david and the table
phonix tx
the fully down
all time low
face to face
taking back sunday
say anything

2. ska punk
less than jake
ill scarelt
rx bandits
luckey boy confusion
the english beat
flatliners
sublime

3.skate punk
mxpx
the offspring
eve 6
susidal tencdises

4. street punk
rancid
gob
the misfits
anti flag

5. rapcore
linkin park
papa roach
revltionary con
mickey wah wah
zebrahead
pod

6. punk hardcore
bad brans
black flag
gwar
minor threat

7.post hardcore
escape the fate
senses fail
silverstein
afi

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 9:57 pm

crackedpleasures wrote:
I like the early punk. The feeling of being part of it must have been so exciting, knowing that a whole new form of art and subculture was forming, something never done before and you were part of it... That sort of feeling of excitement I miss nowadays, still talented bands but rarely something you hear that sounds unlike nothing done before.

We really didn't consider it as really forming a new subculture, so much as rebelling against the dominant culture. Forming a 'New subculture' was a secondary thing that came along with the general f**ked-uppedness of a culture that was more concerned with Disco, Who shot JR on the TV show 'Dallas', rather than attempt to deal with the fact that humanity was flirting with the very real threat of thermonuclear annihilation. --It's so much easier to not deal with that, and get turned on to the (then) newest Styx album instead.

In another sense, the punk scene in the early days also had a very real immediacy to it due again to the threat of thermonuclear annihilation, and the punk scene was in a way not unlike a wild party on the Titanic as it was sinking, due to the fact that we felt that chances were quite likely that we, and the rest of humanity wouldn't exist at the beginning of the 21st Century.

The punk scene back in the early days was essentially comprised of the freaks and misfits who could not or flat out refused to fit in and process the bulls**t 'Normal Society' had to offer. Now punk is really nothing more that a fashion/music/lifestyle commodity that you can find at any shopping mall. Anybody can get a 'punk haircut' clothes, and fashion accessories and buy themselves into a lifestyle of tamed down, assimilated, processed and conveniently canned rebellion. It's no longer an edgy, intelligent, and subversively dangerous thing, and that sucks.

Last edited by Fogman on 16 May 2009, 6:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

14 May 2009, 10:18 pm

operation ivy. agnostic front is a hardcore band

ardea_rising
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 May 2009, 11:44 pm

My collection is running very low on punk right now but i have been listening to a lot of stuff by Peter and The Test Tube Babies, The Exploited, Discharge, GBH, Subhumans and other early 80's stuff recently.

Oh and course The Macc Lads.

Italianwolf77
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 4:52 pm

Green Day
Sex Pistols
The Clash
The Ramones
Rancid (Seeing them live in July)
NOFX
Bouncing Souls (Seeing them live in August)
Suicidal Tendencies

Kiera
Raven
Raven

18 May 2009, 9:50 am

Im disheartened to see that no one so far has mentioned the Misfits (old or new)....they were the food of my soul in my youth, and still my go-to music for any occasion.

..and Agnostic Front was not hardcore, they were an Oi/Skin band back in the day. :P

Ligea_Seroua
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 2:33 pm

/\/\

:oops: Major oversight re the "old" (Glenn Danzig era) Misfits....I only saw them live with Michael Graves though....not the same

Ligea_Seroua
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 7:17 pm

And for anyone in the UK who might be interested, some of the aforementioned bands are on the line up of this festival

rebellion festival- blackpool

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2009, 11:39 pm

wow. Am I the only one who liked the Jam? If Oasis is the 'new' beatles, then the Jam was the new 'who' (the song on all the CSI's for you younger folks...j/k...;)

Listened to many of these growing up (if you heard what your alternatives were in the late 70s - 'stadium rock', disco, "have you ever been mellow", etc.), you'd see. Actually, the first Pretenders album was a punk album, believe it or not. (Maybe it all went downhill from there...;) I got to see the Dead Kennedy's play in an underground (literally) club in Raleigh back in the day.

Witch
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2009, 3:11 am

I can't believe nobody mentioned that great band

DEVO

What about Blondie?

Egads, now I really feel old. Thanks guys

MrKnott

23 May 2009, 10:57 am

Say, I was just looking for my old Jam tapes. They were all right. I thought they were very funny--all that Oy, etc. (I live in New Jersey.) Found the Style Council, though, some of that is oaky but hardly "punk"--whatever that is. I wasn't much into anything stronger than the Clash or the Ramones. Some of my students are Ramones fans. I liked Billy Bragg when he wasn't singing about politics. It's not that i really disagreed with him, I just can't sing about social justice, etc. "Preachy!" as Barney Gumble shouts to Green Day in The Simpsons Movie (I don't know much about Green Day). I spent most of the 80s litenting to Smiths, Elvis Costello, Squeeze, Lloyd Cole, New Order, Depeche, and Everything but the Girl (!). Oh, now I'll be singing Eton Rifles all day! I liked the second Big Audio Dynamite--I know I'm rambling, getting old.

Witch
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2009, 11:59 pm

I remember some more that I really liked;

Missing Persons

Men Without Hats

Wang Chung

T'pau

Kim Wilde

Berlin

Bow Wow Wow

Wendy O Williams

Nena

The Vapors

The Other Ones

Scandal

Divinyls

Eurythmics

Timbuk 3

Oh boy could I go on...

Abba... wait!

Mystagogue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2009, 4:53 am

Flogging Molly, Gogol Bordello, Rancid, Social Distortion, Alkaline Trio, Transplants

Boira
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2009, 2:39 pm

My 2 favourites:

Die Toten Hosen
Die Ärzte (I don't like their last works, though)

And then:
Green Day
Bad Religion