Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Smitch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2008, 6:07 am

marshall wrote:
I don't know what nihilistic is supposed to mean as a descriptive term for music. Most of the stuff people mention is music with a negative emotion. Negative isn’t necessarily nihilistic in my definition.

I would imagine true nihilistic music would have no emotion at all, just random noise or something. Atonal music comes to mind.

My understanding is nihilistic is less about depression and more about inevitability. 'Passively and calmly negitive' I guess you could say, without edging into depressing. Much of Tools stuff, while negitive is also a bit too aggresive (though I agree they do have some very interesting tracks). Alot of bands that deliberatrly try for nihilism completely miss the mark as they are obviously trying, which negates the whole 'passive' thing. But they can be amusing. For something to be depressing, you generally have to care about it enough to get depressed about it, which in my mind again breaks the passive part once more. Though extream emotion can be covered in a track, it's usually viewed from an bystander point of view who just views the inevitable unfold.

Most nihilistic music I have heard has usually be a track or two from a band, rather than the entire aim of the band. Its also all about delivery too. "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails is not nihilistic. The version by Johny Cash, very nihilistic. Only 2 bands I know of consistantly manage nihilism. Legendary Pink Dots (they also fall into the "Very Weird" catagory), and Joy Division. Though I am also checking out Sopor Aeternus & the Ensemble of Shadows as recommended earlier in this thread.

Glasscutter
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Aug 2008, 1:29 am

Why are people associetaeting nihilistic music with goth?
Nihilism is the belief in nothing, no god, no devil. Nihilism makes reason of being out of nothing.

Goth is the belief that death is the only way to find joy and/or peace in the world. Big difference.

Nihilistic music is NOT ment to always be depressing. it is ment to draw emotions (like anger, happieness, sadness) or make you think.

The Fragile by NIN is probably a gothic album by a nihilistic artist.
as it is about some who is already dead.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 12:12 pm

Heh? The gothic subculture and its music is not about depression per definition and not about wishing to die. Where did you get that gothic would see death as escapism? Maybe some goth artists have tackled such themes in their work, but this is by no means standard for the gothic subculture and its artistic outings.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Glasscutter
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2008, 1:25 am

Aw well, i know nothing about Gothic culture.

BeeBee23
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2008, 11:05 am

Alot of Industrial artists create nihilistic music.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 12:27 pm

Is there anything really such as nihilistic music? I think there is rather something such as nihilistic lyrics, and that is applicable in any genre of music. Only bands like Joy Division who sound in despair in almost every single song could maybe be tagged nihilistic. Other than that I would rather rate it on song-per-song basis and not call it a proper style of music.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 4:18 pm

Glasscutter wrote:
I like nihilistic music cos it's powerful, and at times, meaningful. 8)

You said it man. :)

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 9:36 pm

I guess my definition of nihilistic music would be something that derives emotion from that which is cold and inhuman. Industrial and noise artists would have the best examples of this IMO.

Glasscutter
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2008, 2:28 am

marshall wrote:
I guess my definition of nihilistic music would be something that derives emotion from that which is cold and inhuman. Industrial and noise artists would have the best examples of this IMO.

Yes that is true. Year Zero by NIN is said to be quite nihilistic. I listened to it and it WAS quite nihilistic. The Slip is also nihilistic.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 4:16 pm

Isn't NIN way too thoughtful to be considered nihilistic? It's not because some songs have a rather bleak world view that it's nihilistic.