I've Got The Riffs + The Beats, The Structure?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 5:08 pm

What the title of the thread says.

I've finished constructing my 1st EP and 1st LP on FLStudio 8.

All I've got to do now is structure my songs, but I have no idea how. :(

I've been listening to my influences (The Prodigy etc.) but I still don't know how to draw listeners in without dragging the intro, or any part of the song.

My LPs will obviously be 7'', while the LP is obviously the 12'', suggesting there that my EP will be short and sweet, while the 12'' will be extended for all lovers of techno music out there. ;)

Any suggestions or tips?

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 5:46 pm

Alternative wrote:
All I've got to do now is structure my songs, but I have no idea how. :(

You can always map out the structure of something you like and use that as a 'template'. When starting out (well, forever actually), it's good to study those who are achieving what you are aiming for.

Alternative wrote:
I've been listening to my influences (The Prodigy etc.) but I still don't know how to draw listeners in without dragging the intro, or any part of the song.

This may be missing the point, but having produced both my own and others material, often the main problem is that you've heard it so much you can't hear it anymore. :? If you're like me, you *live* the music you're working on, it is going non-stop in your head. Get away from it for a few days then try and listen objectively. The further away you can get, the more the mistakes (and the good parts) leap out at you.

Alternative wrote:
My LPs will obviously be 7'', while the LP is obviously the 12'', suggesting there that my EP will be short and sweet, while the 12'' will be extended for all lovers of techno music out there. ;) Any suggestions or tips?

Err..sorry, but I'm such an ageing hippy (despite once upon a time having my drum'n'bass tracks pressed and played) I don't know what you mean????

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you've been working on. Any links? BTW is FL8 the latest incarnation of Fruity Loops?? I used to use FL to make and mash up drum loops 9 or 10 years ago. It was just so brilliantly usable and creative, could make a good drum break out of anything!

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 5:52 am

Thanks for the advice mate. ;)

I've stopped listening to my influences for a while anyway, I just don't know how to structure my songs that's all.

A 7" (7 inch record) is what usually gets played on the radio. A hacked up shortened version of your song.

12" (12 inch record) is the opposite, and is extended and usually appears on the final cut of the album.

FLStudio 8 is the newest version of Fruity loops, and it is good. ;)

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 5:57 am

OK, I figure that the structure of my songs should go like this:

This is the order when the instrument/section of the song is placed:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ambience
Break/Crash
Introductory Beat
Break/Crash
Introductory Synth Riff
Build Up
Break/Crash
Main Synth Riff
Break/Crash
Introductory Beat
Build Up
Break/Crash
Main Beat
Build Up
Break/Crash
Ambience
Introductory Synth Riff
Build Up
Break/Crash
Main Synth Riff
Main Beat
Build Up
Break/Crash
Ambience

------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 1st, this may look confusing, but there will be proof as well as more understanding as my songs are set out like this. Once, I've uploaded my EP here:

www.myspace.com/M0AN3R

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2008, 7:50 am

haha sounds to me like you have a pretty good ida what they should be structured like, i simply cant do "production"

i tend to group things that sound similar but i usually end up with crap just thrown together mostly without bridges and with each riff only lasting for as long as you might expect from a grindcore enthusiast :wink:

that said i dont know about having all those "Break/Crash"es i dont listen to much of this stuff but if your trying to suck people in you'll want it to meld together rather than start again ... though they can be effective and im not entirely sure what you mean

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 7:38 am

I think you'll know what I mean now Mouapp. ;)

Feel free to listen to my uploaded EP on my Myspace Music page:

www.myspace.com/M0AN3R

Enjoy. :)

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 1:54 am

Song structures interest me. I like The Dresden Dolls' structures best. Oingo Boingo's "Insanity" has an interesting structure. Mushroomhead's "XX" album also has awesome song structures (like "Bwomp").