Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AutisticMalcontent
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 517

06 Oct 2008, 11:59 pm

My personal favorite is Angra, especially Temple of Shadows. I wasn't into all the sentimental progressive fluff filler, but Spread Your Fire and Temple of Hate were knockout power-progressive/speed metal songs. If you're curious as to what Temple of Hate or Spread Your Fire sounds like, here you go:

Temple of Hate:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9yoHXVtME[/youtube]

Spread Your Fire:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqNEXzPMOf8[/youtube]



wood
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2007
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
Location: northern CA wine country

07 Oct 2008, 12:31 am

Hi AutisticMalcontent.

Right now my fave progressive power metal band is Pathosray from Italy. They are a new band, and while they are not especially groundbreaking, they've got a great individual sound.

I don't know how to embed a video here in this post, but here is a url for one of their songs on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bat9w7u18c



Taly
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 184
Location: Rain Forest

07 Oct 2008, 5:17 am

Yay! Angra is Brazilian!! But I'd mention Shaaman(Shaman) another Brazilian, The Magician (another Brazilian) I believe they are Xaaman nowadays, Blind Guardian and with female vocals I'd say Nightwish(that's also operatic and romantic-gothic, but has power metal evidently) and After Forever(That has power metal elemnts combined with atmospheric metal).



AutisticMalcontent
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 517

07 Oct 2008, 8:57 am

wood wrote:
Hi AutisticMalcontent.

Right now my fave progressive power metal band is Pathosray from Italy. They are a new band, and while they are not especially groundbreaking, they've got a great individual sound.

I don't know how to embed a video here in this post, but here is a url for one of their songs on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bat9w7u18c


Thanks for the video, man. I listened to it, it does have power metal undertones, but I think it is more progressive than power metal. That's cool. I'm more about the power metal sound rather than how progressive the music is technically. If you can have it 65% sheer power metal euphoric feeling and 35% progressive technicalities (like odd time signatures, irregular beats, complex fingerings/finger tapping), more power metal bands would be awesome as hell. Check this video out, this is a new song off Almah's new album, called "Beyond Tommorow", classic power mixed with progressive metal, progressive metal doesn't overshadow the power metal component until the solo. Almah was originally a side project created by Angra's frontman, Edu Falaschi, and now it has become a full time band.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A34FWUj6u9s[/youtube]



AutisticMalcontent
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 517

07 Oct 2008, 9:09 am

Taly wrote:
Yay! Angra is Brazilian!! But I'd mention Shaaman(Shaman) another Brazilian, The Magician (another Brazilian) I believe they are Xaaman nowadays, Blind Guardian and with female vocals I'd say Nightwish(that's also operatic and romantic-gothic, but has power metal evidently) and After Forever(That has power metal elemnts combined with atmospheric metal).


Yep, they're from Sao Paulo, Brazil. Great band, although at times I think they are too progressive and not power metal enough. Songs like "Temple of Hate", "Spread Your Fire", "Carry On", "Nova Era", "Acid Rain", "Bleeding Heart", and "Live and Learn" are power metal classics. By the way, have you bought and listened to Edu Falaschi's Almah's new album "Fragile Equality". If you have it and have listened to it, can you tell me what you thought of it? I've listened to only three songs on the album- "Torn", "Beyond Tommorow", and "Birds of Prey". I like "Birds of Prey" and I especially like "Beyond Tommorow", don't like "Torn" though, too much progressive metal and not enough power metal. I'm hoping at least one song on there will be reminescent of Angra's Temple of Hate or Spread Your Fire.

Don't like Shaaman too much, they are more neoclassical metal with power metal undertones instead of straight power metal. This is due to Andre Matos's classic keyboard/piano training I believe, he likes to add a lot of classical stuff to his music. Not too crazy about his voice either, I mean he sounds like a girl a lot. Most guys would have to squeeze their balls to hit the notes he hits. Edu Falaschi, don't get me wrong is a counter tenor and hits really high notes, but they aren't painful sounding (although live they are :lol: )

Nightwish is alright, I'm not into gothic/classical power metal, but its alright ;) I'll have to look into this After Forever.



crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Oct 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,936
Location: currently Belgium, longing for the Middle East

07 Oct 2008, 11:31 am

OK, just for the sake of being clear, can someone maybe explain in a few words what type of metal suits which tag?


Heavy metal
Doom metal
Speed metal
Trash metal
Black metal
Oriental metal
White metal
Power metal
Glam metal
...



I often dont really get the differences, apart from the quite specific subgenres such as oriental metal or black metal. But what differs power metal from speed metal or doom metal for example?


_________________
Do what Thou wilt shal be the whole of the Law.
Love is the Law, Love under Will. And...
every man and every woman is a star
(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)


RogueProcess
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 190

07 Oct 2008, 11:41 am

Bal Sagoth are awesome :D



AutisticMalcontent
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 517

07 Oct 2008, 12:27 pm

crackedpleasures wrote:
OK, just for the sake of being clear, can someone maybe explain in a few words what type of metal suits which tag?


Heavy metal
Doom metal
Speed metal
Trash metal
Black metal
Oriental metal
White metal
Power metal
Glam metal
...



I often dont really get the differences, apart from the quite specific subgenres such as oriental metal or black metal. But what differs power metal from speed metal or doom metal for example?


Heavy metal is like the "umbrella" term for all types of metal. It has its roots in blues, rock n' roll, and Psychedelic rock, which is a type of rock that was supposed to imitate the mind altering experiences of hallucenigenic drugs. Within heavy metal, there are several subgenres, which are types of specific heavy metal that appeal to a certain type of listener of heavy metal. Here the explanations off wikipedia, which are nice and concise and I won't have to go into detail about them individually.


Doom metal- a form of heavy metal music that typically employs very slow tempos, low-tuned guitars and a much 'thicker' or 'heavier' sound than other metal genres. Both the music and the lyrics intend to evoke a sense of despair, dread, and impending doom.

Ex.) Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Solstice and Doomsword

Speed metal- sub-genre of heavy metal music originating in the late 1970s and early 1980s that was the direct musical progenitor of thrash metal. It typically is very fast and aggressive, and does have a lot of guitar solos. Power metal and thrash metal originated from speed metal

Ex.) Gamma Ray, Stormwarrior, Iron Savior, Rage, Agent Steel, Cage, Temple of Blood and Primal Fear (note these are power metal bands as well)

Thrash metal (my favorite genre along with power metal)- n extreme subgenre of heavy metal that is characterized by its fast tempo and aggression. Thrash metal songs typically use fast, percussive and low-register guitar riffs, overlaid with shredding-style lead work. Thrash metal lyrics often deal with social issues using visceral and blunt language, an approach which partially overlaps with the hardcore genre.

Ex. Early Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Sodom, Slayer

Black metal- Black metal is an extreme subgenre of heavy metal. It often employs fast tempos, shrieked vocals, highly distorted guitars played with tremolo picking, double-kick drumming, and unconventional song structure. It often has sacreligous lyrics and misanthropic (hatred towards mankind) lyrics. Known for satanic references.

Ex. Mayhem, Darkthrone, Cradle of Filth

Oriental Metal- Oriental metal is a subgenre of folk metal that combines heavy metal music with elements of traditional Middle Eastern music. The music developed in Israel during the first half of the 1990s with the bands Orphaned Land, Melechesh and Salem being the pioneers of the genre. Contributions from other countries have emerged since then. Typically not a very well known type of metal

White metal - Basically a subgenre of metal that contains Christian related lyrics about God/Jesus.

Power metal- Power metal (Epic Metal) is today associated with an epic sound tempered by characteristics of speed metal, power metal's musical forerunner. Power metal's lyrical themes, though as varied as metal itself, typically focus on fantasy and mythology (eg. Rhapsody of Fire, Blind Guardian, Falconer), comradeship and hope (eg. Hammerfall, Lost Horizon, Highland Glory, Sabaton, Iced Earth), personal struggles and emotions (eg. X Japan, Sonata Arctica, Evergrey) war and death (eg. Manowar) or combinations of the listed themes. Many typical metal themes such as anti-religion and politics are comparatively rare but not unheard of.

Power metal is highly focused on the vocalist, with "clean" vocals being much more prevalent than the growling vocals often associated with death metal and black metal. Following in the tradition of Ronnie James Dio, Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford and other heavy metal vocalists, power metal vocals are often in a high register. The majority of the genre's vocalists sing in the tenor range, capable of hitting very high notes. There are however many exceptions such as Pyramaze / Iced Earth frontman Matt Barlow, Falconer frontman Mathias Blad, and Sabaton frontman Joakim Broden; they sing in either baritone or bass range, though in certain songs like Creator Failure, Barlow hits very high notes reminiscent of Rob Halford. Power metal vocalists Kai Hansen of Gamma Ray, Hansi Kürsch of Blind Guardian, Jens Carlsson of Persuader / Savage Circus and Matt Smith of Theocracy record multi-layered vocals reminiscent of Queen, creating a choral effect.[1][2] Few power metal vocalists double as instrumentalists, but the setup is not unheard of. Some singers within other heavy metal genres have high registered voices as do those singers of power metal bands. For example Joey Belladonna of American thrash metal band Anthrax had a voice that was often high-pitched. As a result, high registered singing is not restricted to power metal bands even though the style is typical within the genre.

Power metal guitarists and bassists generally play rapid streams of notes, but change chords comparatively slowly, with a harmonic tempo of once per measure or slower. Fast and demanding guitar solos, however, are almost guaranteed. The slow changing of chords are significant in defining power metal just as the fast rapid chord changes often define traditional thrash metal.

A number of power metal drummers generally play with two bass drums for added speed, utilizing them to play a constant stream of sixteenth notes (semiquavers) with snare drum accents on the beat. This style is fairly common in power metal as in other heavy metal subgenres, though it is by no means universal. Power metal though has become the most prevalent in the use of this technique. The style was perfected by drummer Ingo Schwichtenberg of Helloween along with Yoshiki of X Japan, setting a blueprint for many other drummers to follow. Some drummers however do not use this technique and use a more thrash metal style of drumming with rapid bursts of double bass that involve three to six beats with the double kick. Iced Earth and Blind Guardian both have had drummers who have used this style of drumming as opposed to the more common style. Even more uncommon is the use of the blast beat in the genre. The American power metal band Cellador is an example of a power metal band that utilizes blast beats in many of their songs.

Power metal bands often incorporate keyboards into their musical arrangements, something popularized by Jens Johansson of Stratovarius, though their usage varies from subtle accents to a full-blown melody line. Some symphonic power metal bands such as Rhapsody of Fire, Fairyland and Nightwish have also been known to record with more symphonic elements, and as such, they utilize a full orchestra to fill the role a keyboard plays in other power metal bands.

This style is very popular in Europe, Japan, and some countries of South America (including Brazil, Venezuela, Chile, Peru, Argentina and Colombia), the province of Quebec, Canada, where it has a very strong fan base and in North America where its popularity is slowly rising

Ex.) Angra, Shaaman, Sonata Arctica, Dragonforce, Rhapsody of Fire, Dreamtale, Dark Moor, Stratovarius, Galneryus, Axenstar, Heavenly

Glam metal- Musically, glam metal songs use distorted guitar riffs based around power chords and catchy hooks over hard-hitting drumming. Most songs feature flashy virtuoso shred guitar solos with heavily effect-processed lead guitar sound. The overall sound is much more commercial and studio-engineered than earlier styles of metal, such as the rough, noisy sound of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal bands. The vocals have a catchy melody with an anthemic "sing-along" chorus. In addition, they were usually sung with a clean tone like in hard rock, in contrast to many other heavy metal subgenres that often employ a more extreme vocal style.
Twisted Sister were typical of the glam metal look with the use of long teased up hair, accessories, metal studs and leather, and makeup during their live performances.
Twisted Sister were typical of the glam metal look with the use of long teased up hair, accessories, metal studs and leather, and makeup during their live performances.

Glam metal performers became infamous for their debauched lifestyles of late-night parties - widely covered in the tabloid press - , very long teased hair (hence the alternative "hair metal" tag), use of make-up, and gaudy clothing and accessories (chiefly consisting of tight denim or leather jeans, spandex, and headbands). Many of these traits are somewhat reminiscent of glam rock, a music genre which first emerged in the United Kingdom during the early 1970s. However, the earlier groups of the genre also implemented some of the leather and studs imagery which had previously been made famous by heavy metal band Judas Priest.

There you go, ask and you will find.



Roseduelist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 154

07 Oct 2008, 4:12 pm

I am personally torn between Nightwish and Kamelot



wood
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2007
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
Location: northern CA wine country

07 Oct 2008, 9:11 pm

Hey crackedpleasures,

Look here for more than you ever needed to know about metal:


http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/main.php

http://www.metal-archives.com/index.php




Autistic Malcontent, thanks for the video, it is really good, especially the solo javascript:emoticon(':D') . I lean heavily towards the technical end of the spectrum. Technical progressive metal is a quickly growing genre and certainly does have some crossover into power metal.

My current favorites (some of these bands haven't recorded for years, but I still listen to them):

Spiral Architect, Twisted Into Form, Zero Hour, Mastodon, Power of Omens, a little bit of Fates Warning, Canvas Solaris, Watchtower (+other Ron Jarzombek projects), Devin Townsend (some SYL), Behold... the Arctopus, Cynic.



wood
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2007
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
Location: northern CA wine country

07 Oct 2008, 9:15 pm

Oh by the way AM, it looks like you really know your metal!

javascript:emoticon(':)')



886
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,013
Location: SLC, Utah

07 Oct 2008, 9:50 pm

I listen to just about nothing but dragonforce. They really make all other power metal bands sound boring and slow and it's troublesome to listen to them. :|

But meh. I like sonata arctica, firewind, among others.


_________________
If Jesus died for my sins, then I should sin as much as possible, so he didn't die for nothing.


AutisticMalcontent
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 517

08 Oct 2008, 9:09 am

wood wrote:
Hey crackedpleasures,

Look here for more than you ever needed to know about metal:


http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/main.php

http://www.metal-archives.com/index.php




Autistic Malcontent, thanks for the video, it is really good, especially the solo javascript:emoticon(':D') . I lean heavily towards the technical end of the spectrum. Technical progressive metal is a quickly growing genre and certainly does have some crossover into power metal.

My current favorites (some of these bands haven't recorded for years, but I still listen to them):

Spiral Architect, Twisted Into Form, Zero Hour, Mastodon, Power of Omens, a little bit of Fates Warning, Canvas Solaris, Watchtower (+other Ron Jarzombek projects), Devin Townsend (some SYL), Behold... the Arctopus, Cynic.


Hey no problem about the video. That's cool that you lean more to the technical end of the spectrum, and I would agree that it is becoming more popular of a music style. I don't like most America music nowadays, you have all these alternative and emo bands, I like something new and aggressive or euphoric, like power metal or thrash metal. The only American bands I really like are Disturbed, early Metallica, Megadeth, and Symphony X. I haven't heard about any of the bands you listed, probably because my diet is strictly Megadeth and Metallica on the thrash side, and power metal like Angra on the other side.

Here's one more video, if you're interested. A bit graphic, but awesome music. It is the American thrash metal band Megadeth with their greatest song ever written, "Holy Wars...The Punishment was Due". Very progressive rock or metal, and the solo near the end is badass as hell, it is VERY technical. Metallica could NEVER whip out something that cool. Enjoy!



[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YczYC2yHTM[/youtube]


P.S.- Thanks, I've heard most of these types of metals, except for Oriental metal. The ones I can easily describe is thrash metal, power metal, death metal, and black metal, the other ones I had to look up to accurately describe. Like I said, I listen to power metal and thrash metal entirely almost, with some hard rock and video game music.



AutisticMalcontent
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 517

08 Oct 2008, 9:11 am

886 wrote:
I listen to just about nothing but dragonforce. They really make all other power metal bands sound boring and slow and it's troublesome to listen to them. :|

But meh. I like sonata arctica, firewind, among others.


Listen to Angra's "Temple of Hate" or "Spread Your Fire", Sonata Arctica's "8th Commandment" or Rhapsody of Fire's "Flames of Revenge" and tell me other styles of power metal are slow and boring :P



Taly
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 184
Location: Rain Forest

09 Oct 2008, 8:52 pm

AutisticMalcontent wrote:
Taly wrote:
Yay! Angra is Brazilian!! But I'd mention Shaaman(Shaman) another Brazilian, The Magician (another Brazilian) I believe they are Xaaman nowadays, Blind Guardian and with female vocals I'd say Nightwish(that's also operatic and romantic-gothic, but has power metal evidently) and After Forever(That has power metal elemnts combined with atmospheric metal).


Yep, they're from Sao Paulo, Brazil. Great band, although at times I think they are too progressive and not power metal enough. Songs like "Temple of Hate", "Spread Your Fire", "Carry On", "Nova Era", "Acid Rain", "Bleeding Heart", and "Live and Learn" are power metal classics. By the way, have you bought and listened to Edu Falaschi's Almah's new album "Fragile Equality". If you have it and have listened to it, can you tell me what you thought of it? I've listened to only three songs on the album- "Torn", "Beyond Tommorow", and "Birds of Prey". I like "Birds of Prey" and I especially like "Beyond Tommorow", don't like "Torn" though, too much progressive metal and not enough power metal. I'm hoping at least one song on there will be reminescent of Angra's Temple of Hate or Spread Your Fire.

Don't like Shaaman too much, they are more neoclassical metal with power metal undertones instead of straight power metal. This is due to Andre Matos's classic keyboard/piano training I believe, he likes to add a lot of classical stuff to his music. Not too crazy about his voice either, I mean he sounds like a girl a lot. Most guys would have to squeeze their balls to hit the notes he hits. Edu Falaschi, don't get me wrong is a counter tenor and hits really high notes, but they aren't painful sounding (although live they are :lol: )

Nightwish is alright, I'm not into gothic/classical power metal, but its alright ;) I'll have to look into this After Forever.


I terms of metal angra is a bit soft for real power metal, just compare them to blinde guiardian and old power metal school from Germany and to be progressive to me has to more like Dream Theater or Theocracy for me. I enjoy classical music and Shaaman describe themselves as "mystic metal", I love death metal mixed with folk, flamenco,melodic death, operatic metal, doom metal, atmospheric, melodic death, and also goth rock.... but I can't pay attention to the lyrics, which is interesting. I am listening only the instrumental or the voice. I also enjoy melodic metal with female voices aka flower metal or gothic metal, heavy metal, Megadeath!! ! Hmmm! I will post a funny joke about metal here!! !!