Page 308 of 393 [ 6280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311 ... 393  Next

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 4:02 am

Egyptian Gorilla
Maybe this guy hangs around the temple of Djehuti (Thoth), the god whom the Egyptians would sometimes associate with primates (though he is best known for his sacred ibis head).

I shouldn't have to add the disclaimer that gorillas were never native to Egypt since they are creatures of the rainforest. However, when I was a kid, I thought ancient Egypt was cool because of all the exotic African animals they coexisted with and even incorporated into their religion, and I probably wouldn't have thought a gorilla out of place there at all.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 11:16 am

I Dream

Just a doodle with a .7 mechanical pecil

[img][800:993]http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/027/8/1/i_dream_by_tempertempest-d7426gl.jpg[/img]

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 8:52 pm

[img][800:626]http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/030/4/2/perseus_and_andromeda_s_embrace_by_brandonspilcher-d74f8m6.jpg[/img]
Perseus and Andromeda's Embrace
The Greek demigod Perseus embraces the beautiful Aethiopian princess Andromeda, but Poseidon's sea monster Cetus is ready for a rematch.

In Greek mythology, Andromeda was a princess of Aethiopia (i.e. "land of the burnt faces", usually referring to ancient Kush or Nubia in what is now Sudan) whom Perseus rescued from Cetus in a classic example of the damsel-and-dragon narrative. Perhaps the most well-known adaptations of this myth for modern audiences are the Clash of the Titans movies (I am referring to both the Harryhausen and Sam Worthington versions here), but I referenced none of these when drawing my own take. Perseus's winged helmet does owe some inspiration to Benvenuto Cellini's sculpture though. As for Cetus, I chose to represent him as some kind of Mesozoic sea reptile like a mosasaur or pliosaur.

I apologize if Perseus looks bored here. He's supposed to be nervously eying Cetus on the side.

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2014, 6:13 pm

[img][800:736]http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/slickbacksteve/shark_zpsd085da67.jpg[/img]

was asked to draw "something fighting a shark" for a friend's music fb page

Anarbaculardrop
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 2:13 am

Is it bad I think the grim reaper dude looked like Skeletor to me initially?

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2014, 2:32 am

Anarbaculardrop wrote:
Is it bad I think the grim reaper dude looked like Skeletor to me initially?

psshh skeletor never fought a shark. but now thats all im gonna see when i look back on this -_- haha

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 4:15 am

Andromeda's Pin-Up
This pin-up is supposed to depict a warrior princess from ancient Kush or Nubia, a kingdom in northern Sudan that historically rivaled Egypt. The Greeks called the Kushite people Aethiopians ("burnt faces") and praised their piety, beauty, and martial skills in literature. In Greek mythology the demigod Perseus married a Nubian princess named Andromeda after saving her from a sea monster, and together they would found the city-state of Mycenae.

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2014, 5:58 am

A pencil drawing.

[img][800:800]http://24.media.tumblr.com/c2f8ac66feeb4f483b781d00d68721a1/tumblr_mzu41mwL391slcw5ho1_1280.jpg[/img]

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2014, 8:55 am

A character of mine.
It ended up distorted. I often have a problem with distortion and asymmetry in my drawings.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 3:50 pm

stabilator wrote:
A pencil drawing.

[pic]

that is badass

Dancing Death
Just a watercolor practice. Looks way better in person. Soft watercolors scan like crap, as you cay see. I had to make the colors light though because I did it on cardstock and if you are not really careful it turns into a soggy mess.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 3:54 pm

stabilator wrote:
A pencil drawing.

[pic]

Great perspective on this!

Hikuptan Soldier
This is a common infantryman from Hikuptah, a civilization from one of my constructed fantasy worlds which is more or less analogous to ancient Egypt. That shield he's carrying is supposed to be cut from giraffe hide, and the scars on his cheek were inspired by the ritually inflicted scarification seen in some Sudanese societies.

Onewithwings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2014, 8:38 pm

such important, much wow.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 9:16 pm

Hikuptan War Elephant
A war elephant commandeered by soldiers from Hikuptah, my con-world's equivalent to ancient Egypt.

Although several real-time strategy games (e.g. Age of Empires and Age of Mythology) portray the Egyptians as commanding African war elephants, in real history it was not until the Macedonian Ptolemaic dynasty that they ever employed them to a significant degree. However, it is possible that the Nubians to the south did use war elephants, as the remains of what may be elephant stables have been found near the Nubian city of Meroe.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:28 pm

Myrina of the Libyan Amazons
Although the Amazons most people know from Greek mythology were said to live near the Black Sea northeast of Greece, the Greek historian Diodorus of Sicily did describe a second race of warrior women living "in the western parts of Libya" (i.e. Africa west of the Nile). They had a fearsome matriarch named Myrina who led them against enemies as diverse as the Atlanteans, Gorgons, Arabs, and Anatolian Cicilians. Obviously Diodorus's account of Myrina's military career sounds more fanciful than plausible, but I'm tempted to speculate that his reports of warrior women in classical West Africa might have more than a grain of truth to them. They could have been the precedents to the famous female warriors of Dahomey (in modern Benin).

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2014, 1:43 am

A mech

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 1:05 pm

^ What software did you use to draw that! I'm guessing Google Sketchup.