Groups that need to gain mainstream sucess

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 365
Location: UK

12 Dec 2005, 8:22 am

I've been enamoured with the notion that I can help relativley unknown groups gain more popularity from word of mouth. This perhaps is due to my inflated sense of power as a consumer.
Any way I thought we needed a topic to exchange infomation about marginalised acts which you feel deserve support.
One such group is Persil. I first Persil on John Peel and they performed a session.
What cativated about this group was their unique brand of fuzzy electro that seemingly hugs your ears like a woolen hat.
I insist you visit their site and listen to their music, if you too like it. Buy their album or visit a gig of theirs.

http://www.persilmusic.com



TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 571
Location: From The Dark Past

12 Dec 2005, 8:33 am

in my opinion
mainstream sucks i would HATE IT if any of my fav bands go mainstream and so many preps and other poser think their fans would like them and if they play a good song theyll keep playing it until im sick of it


KEEP MUSIC UNDERGROUND!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!
ATLEAST KEEP METAL UNDERGROUND!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

DEATH TO MTV
DEATH TO VH1
DEATH TO FUSE

some of you may say that metallica is mainstream and yes they are but hearing enter sandman about 7 times in 2 weeks is annoying and people saying that the black album is their greatest album MAKES ME SICK!! !! !! !!
MASTER OF PUPPETS IS THEIR GREATEST no offensive sandman is a good song and the black album is a good album but i stand by my word


_________________
I reject all the biblical views of the truth
Dismiss it as the folklore of the times
I won't be force fed prophecies
From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
-------
I have no faith distracting me
I know why your prayers will never be answered


Last edited by TheViking on 12 Dec 2005, 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,169
Location: Upstate New York

12 Dec 2005, 8:39 am

Great Big Sea-A celtic rock/punk group. Awesome. Amazing. The greatest band ever!! I can't imagine anyone disliking them http://www.greatbigsea.com for their music.

Chris Thile-He's a musical genius, does amazing stuff. But his music needs to be listened to with an open mind. My Mom doesn't like to even call it music :? He's also the mandolin player/songwriter/singer for Nickel Creek. http://www.nickelcreek.com



TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 571
Location: From The Dark Past

12 Dec 2005, 8:51 am

if my band got mainstream suckssess I WOULD JUST DIE out of being something i dont want to be


_________________
I reject all the biblical views of the truth
Dismiss it as the folklore of the times
I won't be force fed prophecies
From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
-------
I have no faith distracting me
I know why your prayers will never be answered


ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Feb 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,186
Location: Massachusetts

12 Dec 2005, 12:53 pm

I wouldn't mind hearing either of these on the radio:

Dreamend
I'm pretty sure they're incapable of writing a song that isn't drop-dead gorgeous and haunting at the same time, but they're still at a level of obscurity where their latest album was mailed to me in an envelope with my address hand-written on it. :lol:

Page France
Weird and catchy and awesome.



Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,593

12 Dec 2005, 6:56 pm

Nightwish, too bad whats-her-name was kicked out. Umm...Depeche Mode being mainstream would be nice. Or anything that isn't rap or the terrible rock people listen to on radio. I don't mind rap, but the rap that's popular now sucks.


_________________
Hello.


Laz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Dec 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,540
Location: Dave's Toilet

12 Dec 2005, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Depeche Mode being mainstream would be nice


8O :lol: Is that mean't to be ironic



Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,593

12 Dec 2005, 9:13 pm

Laz wrote:
Quote:
Depeche Mode being mainstream would be nice


8O :lol: Is that mean't to be ironic


Huh? I really have no idea what Depeche Mode means, so there could be some irony I'm not detecting.


_________________
Hello.


Relyt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 4 Nov 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 229
Location: Bellflower, CA

13 Dec 2005, 2:00 am

it's ironic because they are pretty mainstream...?

and Viking, are you saying that would stop listning to even your favorite bands if they went mainstream? that's pretty sad dude. i mean i can understand if they change their sound to fit a more popular audience, but there's no need to act like a metal troll here.



ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 365
Location: UK

13 Dec 2005, 4:02 am

Depeche Mode consistantly chart in the top fourty in the UK, so they don't need our help... My dad went to (I think it's) basildon college around the time as one of the guys in Depeche Mode.
Depeche Mode loosely translaes as ''Fast Fashion'', however it comes from a French magazine by the same name which means ''Fashion Update''.

I think it's selfish to think that groups that deserve sucess should be denied it by ignorant fans.
The only reason I want these groups to be a bit more sucesful is because they make a change from the drab and uninteresting McFly or Will Young.
I have the impression that most groups would love to achieve mainstream sucess but also remain with a degree of artistic integrity.
Viking, don't you want people to listen to the same groups as you? Music can change people in such a fashion, just imagine if a pure (I am aware that both the terms 'pure' and 'death metal' present a paradox) death metal in the top forty and on Top Of The Pops. It'd either p*ss off a load of bigots or cause a revolution (of some kind). It'd also be a huge step forward for most of the metal genre, and perhaps metal would eventually be considered seriously as a musical genre.



ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 365
Location: UK

13 Dec 2005, 4:14 am

I like Page Frances song 'Junkyard'. The rythm guitar has this odd almost bouncing feel to it, and I can really dig xylophones. Is there a banjo in there? It sounds too trebly to be a mandolin.
They're a group that deserves to be heard they not only have an accesible sound but also flair, which as we have all come to learn (I hope) that those too things are not always great friends.



thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,178
Location: SA, Australia

13 Dec 2005, 6:55 am

ramsamsam wrote:
Depeche Mode consistantly chart in the top fourty in the UK, so they don't need our help... My dad went to (I think it's) basildon college around the time as one of the guys in Depeche Mode.
Depeche Mode loosely translaes as ''Fast Fashion'', however it comes from a French magazine by the same name which means ''Fashion Update''.

I think it's selfish to think that groups that deserve sucess should be denied it by ignorant fans.
The only reason I want these groups to be a bit more sucesful is because they make a change from the drab and uninteresting McFly or Will Young.
I have the impression that most groups would love to achieve mainstream sucess but also remain with a degree of artistic integrity.
Viking, don't you want people to listen to the same groups as you? Music can change people in such a fashion, just imagine if a pure (I am aware that both the terms 'pure' and 'death metal' present a paradox) death metal in the top forty and on Top Of The Pops. It'd either p*ss off a load of bigots or cause a revolution (of some kind). It'd also be a huge step forward for most of the metal genre, and perhaps metal would eventually be considered seriously as a musical genre.


So right. This is why it sucks when all these metalheads diss all these numetal bands because they actually have come the closest to what was achieved up there so far. But you people would rather look the other way and say that they're watering down metal as opposed to heavying up the mainstream. Which sometimes is true, such as bands like Sevendust, but in other cases like Linkin Park or Korn or Marilyn Manson or Slipknot etc. they're doing the opposite, contrary to what many metal magazines say. I mean, really, what have they done at the expense of real metal? They're not stopping you from making the music you make. These sort of metalheads claim to be open minded and then put down anyone whos a fan of numetal because they think they can get away with it because they're really looking for an excuse to put people down, making them just as bad as the jocks they stereotype. They're just jealous, really.

But yeah, it'd be cool to see some 'real metal' in the charts.

Viking, you'd be doing these bands a big favour to make them big, it wouldn't be diluting the reputation of metal bands, but rather, it would heavy up the mainstream. I mean really, if you actually care about the bands themselves, wouldn't you rather them be successful than the mainstream bands that you don't like? Wouldn't you want your favourite bands to be rich and famous instead of the ones you don't like? Anyone who only cares about whether an artist is mainstream or not over the actual music content is just stupid.

Anyway, I think Lacuna Coil is an underrated band that deserves to make it big. I could also name a whole heap of nobody underground bands that I've heard only one or two songs from, but there's too many to mention.


_________________
255 characters max. Type your signature with HTML coding


ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 365
Location: UK

13 Dec 2005, 7:26 am

I think the music nowadays generally needs more of a varity. Things need a bit more spice. Sure we have a number of independant groups who chart well, that are great but these have been dwafered by bland groups who only appeal to to the aged.



Relyt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 4 Nov 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 229
Location: Bellflower, CA

13 Dec 2005, 12:51 pm

metal fans diss numetal because its basically just heavy rock calling itself metal. we don't think of it as real metal at all. we don't hate it because it's popular... we just hate it because most of it IOO sucks. i do like some bands though like Nonpoint or early Mudvayne.

Avenged Sevenfold is pretty mainstream and i like them, so what.



TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 571
Location: From The Dark Past

13 Dec 2005, 6:27 pm

Relyt wrote:
it's ironic because they are pretty mainstream...?

and Viking, are you saying that would stop listning to even your favorite bands if they went mainstream? that's pretty sad dude. i mean i can understand if they change their sound to fit a more popular audience, but there's no need to act like a metal troll here.


THATS NOT WHAT I SAID

I SAID THAT I HATE HEARING A SONG GETTING PLAYED ON THE RADIO ABOUT A THOUSAND TIMES.
I ALSO SAID I HATE POSERS WHO THINK THEY ARE FANS JUST BEACAUSE THEY LIKE ALL THE HITS FOR EXAMPLE METALLICA: PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE FANS JUST BECAUSE THEY LIKE ENTER SANDMAN BUT I BET THEY NEVER HERD PHANTOM LORD OR LEPER MESSIAH.

PLUS I THINK METAL SHOULD BE UNDERGROND AND NOT MAINSTREAM

I LIKE MAINSTREAM METAL BANDS LIKE

BLACK SABBATH
IRON MAIDEN
JUDAS PRIEST
METALLICA
ETC. ETC.

BUT I WISH THEY WERE ALL WERE UNDERGROND
SO THERE WOULDNT BE ANY POSERS LISTENING TO THEM AND I DONT GET TIRED OF THEM THATS WHY I DONT LISTEN TO THE RADIO ANYMORE [/b]


_________________
I reject all the biblical views of the truth
Dismiss it as the folklore of the times
I won't be force fed prophecies
From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
-------
I have no faith distracting me
I know why your prayers will never be answered


TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 571
Location: From The Dark Past

13 Dec 2005, 6:29 pm

Relyt wrote:
metal fans diss numetal because its basically just heavy rock calling itself metal. we don't think of it as real metal at all. we don't hate it because it's popular... we just hate it because most of it IOO sucks. i do like some bands though like Nonpoint or early Mudvayne.

Avenged Sevenfold is pretty mainstream and i like them, so what.


I DONT HATE IT BECAUSE ITS POPULAR I HATE IT BECAUSE THE MUSIC SUCKS


_________________
I reject all the biblical views of the truth
Dismiss it as the folklore of the times
I won't be force fed prophecies
From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
-------
I have no faith distracting me
I know why your prayers will never be answered