Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2004, 1:50 pm

Drinking too much in a University makes as much sense as discussing the difference between Utilitarianism and Pragmatism in a bar...

Why would you discuss Pragmatic Theories in a bar? You should do that in a University!

WillyWebbs
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Oct 2004, 2:28 pm

never really thought about it it that way. Sorry to say, but that is a poor analogy. University= parties, parties= drinking.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2004, 2:34 pm

Good point...

Universities do allow you to party... when you're not studying the decline of professional standards in the Roman Empire right before the Hungarian Cavalry showed up...

Wowbagger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2004, 4:09 pm

I do believe that universities should emphasise intellectual endeavour over social activities, but unfortunately most students are just there to party. Human nature.

onewitheverything
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Oct 2004, 10:09 pm

When one is paying thousnds of dollurs to be there and ends up failing because drinking/drugs interupt study then all you would be left with is alot of dept and that would be a very bad way to start adult life.

followMe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2004, 9:47 pm

how many people are at university because they want to be there? how many are there because they are supposed to be there? i imagine most of the heavy drinkers fall into the latter category.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2004, 3:55 am

college/university/whatever is, of course, about education.

but that education includes social as well as academic. maybe i only speak for myself (although i doubt it), but i've learned just as much useful and profound stuff on the social side when i've been at Uni (5 times so far - i just can't stop!), as i have on the academic.

of course, that could be an NT way of looking at it.... ;)

kevtufc
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2004, 8:00 am

followMe wrote:
how many people are at university because they want to be there? how many are there because they are supposed to be there? i imagine most of the heavy drinkers fall into the latter category.

That is a really good point, and almost certainly true in many cases. I personally am at university for the second time. The first time I went it was because I was supposed to -- I went to a grammar school where it was pretty much expected that everyone went to university. We never really got told about other opportunities (vocational courses, getting a job and so on).

I spent that next year at uni, well, I wouldn't call it partying, but it certainly involved a lot of alcohol and, ahem, stuff. I dropped out at the end of the year and came home and got a job.

That was eight years ago, and I've since returned to University because I wanted to. I'm now in my third year and am doing well.

The one thing all that has taught me is that it really is important to make sure you're doing things for the right reasons.