Could someone please proofread my essay?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 5:38 pm

I am currently studying for my GED and I have been practicing for the essay portion of the Language Arts test. However, I feel that I could use critique on the essay I wrote today. Please tell me what mistakes I made so that I don't fail the actual test! :(

The topic: Today our workplaces and neighborhoods are composed of people of diverse backgrounds. For this reason it is important for people to find ways to get along with each other.

Write an essay explaining how people of diverse backgrounds can get along better.

The essay:

America is a melting pot of people of diverse backgrounds and differing ethnicities. It is imperitive that we learn to get along with them. A few of the ways we can do this are by taking an interest in another person's culture and by respecting them.

One way to get along with someone of another culture is to take an interest in their culture. When I was younger, I befriended a girl from Japan by asking her family and her to help me learn about Japanese culture. They were very happy that I took an interest in their culture. I also took an interest in their language, which helped me to communicate with them.

Another way we can get along with others is by showing respect for their customs. In elementary school, no one was allowed to wear head coverings. But when a girl from Afghanistan came to our school, the teachers made a special exception for her, as it is customary for girls in the Middle East to cover their hair. I am sure that her family was very grateful that our school showed respect for their customs.

In conclusion, it is important to try to get along with people of other cultures, and the ways we ca do this are by taking an interest in their cultures and by showing them respect.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 6:13 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
The essay:

America is a melting pot of people of diverse backgrounds and differing ethnicities. It is imperitive that we learn to get along with them. A few of the ways we can do this are by taking an interest in another person's culture and by respecting them.

One way to get along with someone of another culture is to take an interest in their culture. When I was younger, I befriended a girl from Japan by asking her family and her to help me learn about Japanese culture. They were very happy that I took an interest in their culture. I also took an interest in their language, which helped me to communicate with them.

Another way we can get along with others is by showing respect for their customs. In elementary school, no one was allowed to wear head coverings. But when a girl from Afghanistan came to our school, the teachers made a special exception for her, as it is customary for girls in the Middle East to cover their hair. I am sure that her family was very grateful that our school showed respect for their customs.

In conclusion, it is important to try to get along with people of other cultures, and the ways we ca do this are by taking an interest in their cultures and by showing them respect.

I would alter the openng part to

America can be described as a melting pot of people of diverse backgrounds and differing ethnicities. My reason suggesting the change is that america is not a melting pot in the literal sense. You do not put cheese, lead, aluminium or pig iron in a pot called "america" which then melts the substances.

It is imperitive that we learn to get along with them. One of the ways we can do this are by taking an interest in another person's culture and by respecting them.

You wrote

"Another way we can get along with others is by showing respect for their customs. In elementary school, no one was allowed to wear head coverings."

This is an absolute statement, suggesting that no body which means all persons can not wear things on their heads. I think you should change this to "normally no person was allowed to wear anything on their head such as (give examples)"

In your next statement you describe how one person was allowed to wear a head covering, so unless the rule was formally changed it was not an absolute rule.

I hope I am not nit picking, but I think that you want us to comment on your essay so that you can improve it and get a higher mark.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 6:14 pm

Looks good to me. I only spotted one typo near the end.

IdahoRose wrote:
and the ways we ca do this

There's one little thing, but I doubt that it would matter at the GED level:
The phrase, "melting pot," is a reference to a philosophical outlook that is the opposite of "diversity." Uniformity vs harmony. The "melting pot" is an industrial age model that insists on uniformity. The machine demands standardized, interchangeable parts, with no rough edges. You have to leave the old, defective, inferior language and culture back in the old country and be an American. "Diversity" is about living in harmony and about celebrating our differences. It's like the difference between a stew with big chunks of good stuff, vs a smelting pot where no impurities are allowed.

Other than that, I think it's working.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 6:21 pm

If you go to a website brainfuse.com at a library, you can get your essay proofread/edited/etc. I work for them and I fix essays all the time. It's what I do.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 6:23 pm

Oh, thank you all very much! My grammar has gotten rusty in the couple of years that I've been out of school. I will make note of what you said so that I won't make the same mistake on the real test.

If there is anything else that is wrong with my essay, please tell me!

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

28 Feb 2009, 7:04 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
The essay: [TITLE?]

America is a melting pot of people of diverse backgrounds and differing ethnicities. It is imperitive that we learn to get along with them [[each other]]. A few of the ways we can do this are by taking an interest in another person's culture and by respecting them [: culture, person; plural???].

One way to get along with someone of another [: 'an other' isnotsameas 'another'] culture is to take an interest in their [[^^^]] culture. When I was younger, I befriended a girl from Japan by asking her family and her to help me learn about Japanese culture. They were very happy that I took an interest in their culture. I also took an interest in their language, which helped me to communicate with them.

Another way we can get along with others is by showing respect for their customs. In elementary school, no one was allowed to wear head coverings. But when a girl from Afghanistan came to our school, the teachers made a special exception for her, as it is customary for girls in [[FROM??]] the Middle East to cover their hair. I am sure that her family was very grateful that our school showed respect for their customs.

In conclusion, it is important to try to get along with people of other cultures, and the ways we ca[n] do this are by taking an interest in their cultures and by showing them respect.

Please see to corrections first, maybe discuss content later -

(still wondering ...: consider basic premise: is it imperative? important? why?)

advice: search for economics, ditch the political correctness and your road to her heart

VATincluded?/[email protected]

may your god forgive you

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 7:56 pm

IdahoRose wrote:

You might want to reconsider the sentence I've emboldened. You're making a pretty big assumption here, and could be completely wrong. Maybe you could comment instead on the impact made on your school's dress code by a pupil from another culture.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 8:15 pm

You have made two points: accepting difference and respecting/understanding of other cultures. Understanding the structure of your writing will help you have more control over what you want to say.

(Oblio)... America is a melting pot of people of diverse backgrounds and differing ethnicities. It is imperitive that we learn to get along with them [[each other]]. A few of the ways we can do this is by taking an interest in another person's culture and by respecting them [: culture, person; plural???].

Now tease out more the fact that you appreciated the differences in your Japanese friend and you wanted to befriend her (second paragraph). You did this by...

Third paragraph is clear and builds on the previous two.

Your conclusion merely repeats your opening paragraph. Each paragraph should build on the ones before and develop your argument.

Perhaps: Living in harmony with our neighbours by befriending people of other cultures and learning from them enriches our lives and our understanding of humanity. Our world is in grave danger if we do not...

You need to make the words your own in the final paragraph if you want to use my ideas. I'm getting carried away in an NT way.

Good luck

Robyn

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

Last edited by nannarob on 28 Feb 2009, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 8:22 pm

Wow! Just read all the other posts. As usual I've jumped in. Loved your ideas, Tahitiii.

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 8:24 pm

oblio wrote:
advice: search for economics, ditch the political correctness and your road to her heart

I don't understand what you're talking about.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 8:32 pm

Again, thank you to everyone who is trying to help me. These are good lessons for me to learn. Not only am I relearning to write in grammatically correct English, but I'm also learning to swallow my pride and take criticism. It's kind of hard to not want to cry when others find errors in my work, but I know it's good for me in the long run. Heck, if that had been an actual GED test, I may not have passed. So, I thank you all for your help. :)

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 9:37 pm

In the last paragraph, rather than, 'the ways we can do this,' I would say, 'two ways we can do this.'

I think the repetition in your third paragraph helped.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 9:49 pm

The essay seemed a bit on the short side to me. How long do you have to write it?

Frankster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2009, 10:04 pm

You have written your essay very well. Here are just a few suggestions.

When you write "It is imperative that we learn to get along with them" who is we and who is them? I would suggest: It is imperative that we all learn to get along together.

Since your first paragraph already says this, take out the first sentence in the second.

Last paragraph: typo.

I am a professional editor. Good luck! :D

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 10:07 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I am currently studying for my GED and I have been practicing for the essay portion of the Language Arts test. However, I feel that I could use critique on the essay I wrote today. Please tell me what mistakes I made so that I don't fail the actual test! :(

The topic: Today our workplaces and neighborhoods are composed of people of diverse backgrounds. For this reason it is important for people to find ways to get along with each other.

Write an essay explaining how people of diverse backgrounds can get along better.

The essay:

Great job! Not much I would change really. You wrote it well.
What kind of essay is the teacher asking for by the way?

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

01 Mar 2009, 3:34 am

IdahoRose wrote:
oblio wrote:

I don't understand what you're talking about.

Pray forgive dear IdahoRose, thou art....

and yet... however genuine one's wording, ...

... the easier it is for the critical reader to understand your point as (also) being self-serving
[you had reason for being polite to the parents, did you not?]; ...

... the weaker one's argument works. [that seems a bit off, grammatically, humm]

and, ultimately: self-interest works best:
make them understand it is not in YOUR but in THEIR (the readers') best interest:
MONEY talks a thousand words... (to boost the indeed lowish wordcount)

keep your eyes on the ball:

It'sTheEconomy,Stupid/[email protected]

may your god forgive you