Drive (2011 Film Staring Ryan Gosling) Soundtrack

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 1:14 am

i just watched the movie Drive sunday night, and it has to be the best film I've seen so far this year. I originally went into see Ryan Gosling as his performance in the sad love story Blue Valentine was amazing, only to discover that his acting would be subservient to the archotype that he was to showcase in the film. I also discovered that apart from what Gosling brought to the film, the other stars of the movie was:

1.) The city of LA(a city I don't like for a wide variety of reasons) which I ended up romanticizing after seeing the film,
    2.) The way the film was shot and the lighting, which gave some have called a neo-noir like qualities,
    3.) Driving - It made me fall in love with driving
    4.) The Cast

What made the film even better was its soundtrack. So that is the last star of the film and the one I want to bring to light. The selection makes sense after I finished watching the movie, but before watching the film and anticipating what sounds/songs the producer would chose to set the tone and context by which we understand the film through, I would not have guessed the track selection they chose. Cliff Martinez did most of the soundtrack and had me on the edge of my seat for most of my feel. He gave the lighting sound, he gave body language a sound, it was good... To play up the vice feel of the film and almost give the lighting "sound" the selection was great and I think the sign of a great soundtrack is when you could not imagine it any other way.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7az3_-lvmNk[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DSVDcw6iW8[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjVplPH8xJs[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtkkjX5e-c0[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUmPHXI1UlI[/youtube]

Any thoughts on the film or opinions of the soundtrack?

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 1:33 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:

Both actually.

I saw the film Saturday, and the songs they played and the scenes they matched them with reminded me of action movies in the mid 80s. Also the pink font the title appeared in was very 80s-esque, but I can't say why for sure. The film was kinda slow up until the scene where Standard and that one lady came outta that pawn shop, then B L A M. (Jesus do they use powerful speakers in theaters these days) There were some scenes that were incredibly gruesome after that. The lead was good, but he was so detached it was like he almost had no emotions. Just a hardboiled, tough person. He definitely had a certain west coast, long beach vibe to him, so I guess that's good.

Why do you feel this romanticized LA? :?

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 2:24 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:

Both actually.

I saw the film Saturday, and the songs they played and the scenes they matched them with reminded me of action movies in the mid 80s. Also the pink font the title appeared in was very 80s-esque, but I can't say why for sure. The film was kinda slow up until the scene where Standard and that one lady came outta that pawn shop, then B L A M. (Jesus do they use powerful speakers in theaters these days) There were some scenes that were incredibly gruesome after that. The lead was good, but he was so detached it was like he almost had no emotions. Just a hardboiled, tough person. He definitely had a certain west coast, long beach vibe to him, so I guess that's good.

Why do you feel this romanticized LA? :?

yea actually the sound-level was a slight complaint for me. I watched harry potter in theater the night before and that was a little loud but this one was at times unforgiving, especially when they would quiet down everything just to feature a song.

I almost felt his drive with the mother and kid, and his presence around that family (plus the hint that his mechanic boss drops about him wanting to come in and do anything to get a job) shows that though he is quiet and reserved, he has aspirations that are showcased more by his actions (and in many ways, his body language) then his words (which, in contrast, his co-stars have plenty of), and that he's willing to work hard for that.

I don't think the film romanticized the city of LA. I did. I used to live there, and have more negatives then positives about the state of the city but seeing it shot in the way that it was, I don't know... it was more real but cool. Watching Training Day didn't give me the same feeling about LA, actually, the exact opposite.

The scenes that brought me most to the edge of my seat was when christina hendricks goes to apply makeup in the bathroom. 8O That was kinda neat that he was able to go through the movie without a gun?

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 7:00 pm

Saw it at a screening at my uni the other day.

This movie was brilliant.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2012, 5:26 am

People, including myself, have brought up the notion that the Driver is likely an introverted autistic who specializes in mechanics and driving.

#7 Brandon Roy (2006-2011). Thanks for the memories.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2012, 2:12 am

Excellent movie and soundtrack.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 3:50 am

I own Drive on DVD, and absolutely, the movie wouldn't have had the sheer "personality," for lack of a better word, without the soundtrack.
And I absolutely agree, the Driver comes across as a fellow Aspie - which I freely admit is one of the reasons why I so like the movie. 8)

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2012, 12:04 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I own Drive on DVD, and absolutely, the movie wouldn't have had the sheer "personality," for lack of a better word, without the soundtrack.
And I absolutely agree, the Driver comes across as a fellow Aspie - which I freely admit is one of the reasons why I so like the movie. 8)

Oh yeah,he is definitely an Aspie,I enjoyed the scenes with the female lead,it showed a different side to the character far removed with how he operated when he was in ''work mode''.

Swift
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2012, 8:17 pm

It's a great film and I love the soundtrack and score. Watching it the second time after listening to the soundtrack, I appreciated how The Chromatics song Tick of the Clock played at the star of the film. It worked so well! I just love some film soundtracks.

I noticed the Driver had traits of As too.. and I was thinking the same about Ryan Gosling's character in the film The United States of Leland.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2012, 11:20 am

Perhaps the movie may have demonstrated how Aspie's look at relationships different.For most the relationship between the two characters wasn't much of a relationship but to ''The Driver'' it meant everything to him and he was willing to do everything to protect the mother/son.Albert Brooks was also very good in the movie.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2012, 11:24 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

His conversation style with others in the movie was certainly unorthodox[classic Aspie :D]Conversations with him were very stilted with awkward pauses which seemed to make others uncomfortable except for the people who understood him.