Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

audioeyes
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2009, 4:41 pm

oppositedirection wrote:
I find electronic music so innovative and challenging. Perhaps the limited pallet of sounds they work from means they have to push the boundaries in other direction.

I'd also recommend Juno Records when it comes to buying electronica online.

You are right about it being innovative and challenging. That is why it bugs me when people say electronic music is for dummies.

But, limited pallet of sounds? Electronic music has the most vast sound pallet of all genres, given that they experiment with the entire world and then some, and recycle sounds offering more pallets. etc and so on.

0_equals_true: have you heard of a band called Oval? If you like minimal and repetitious you should like Oval.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 7:00 pm

Oval are sublime. However that wasn't what I was thinking about just then, I been feeling recently I really like minimal music with minimal and very slow progression (but not necessarily slow itself if you catch my drift). I have heard very little of this really. It is kind of the risky/courageous thing to do IMO. Normally is only a matter of time before bailout. But I find something like this strangely challenging, being so not complex. You expect change to happen, and when it doesn’t it can be a bit disconcerting. However change is happing. Everything around affects how it sounds, and so does your brain if you give it time. The only reason why it may sound the same is because the brain is making corrections, but after a while it really does progress, at least for me. Sometime I find myself making repetitive hums and drones with an interesting rhythm, you can really get lost in it. Do you have any recommendations? Does anybody do this stuff? I know it sound like it would be terrible armature, but I believe it could be done well. The rhythm doesn’t have to be too basic, just minimal overall, and not caving into progression for a long while at least.

I also like listen to complex stuff of course like Oscar Peterson, etc.

androo4salez
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2009, 9:24 pm

I love electronic music

Trance and EBM is where it's at :D

HoxtonPaul
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2009, 6:55 am

I've been making synthesizer music specifically and only about Autism since 2006.

www.myspace.com/themodelaircraftmuseum

Every single song on the spectrum. Working for the British Nas and being diagnosed since 2004 kind of helps!

What does everyone think of this? Is there an Autistic sensibility in music? An aesthetic? (Big words)

Digital Aspergers is on Myspace too, and a few others of us making music.

MYSPACE - MODEL AIRCRAFT MUSEUM.

Ta.

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 9:06 am

audioeyes wrote:
But, limited pallet of sounds? Electronic music has the most vast sound pallet of all genres
Certain aspects of electronic tracks are fairly limited, so techno records usually have a similar sounding and fairly similarly structured 4/4 drum beat, just as drum and bass has its own particular sound and structure. This forces electronic artists to really push in other directions to keep the music fresh and - as you rightly observe - creating new sounds to use for the rest of the track is a major part of that.

I've always though electronic music is looked down upon for precisely this reason. Bad electronic has the 4/4 arrangement and does not do anything particuarly challenging beyond that, whereas good electronica does. Unfortunately, since the 4/4 drum beat is the least subtle aspect of the track, its all the casual listener hears until they get into the music properly, hence lumping good and bad electronica together.

Mystagogue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2009, 2:49 pm

EBM, Aggrotech, Futurepop, Electro-Industrial and related music genres is what gets me going.

bumblebeezy
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jun 2009, 2:10 pm

I like electro and experimental electronic music
I also like house a lot

some producers I like:
fake blood, le castlevania, miami horror, Mr. Oizo, Sinden, A trak, sebastien, etc.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 7:07 pm

i've been making electronic music for about 10 years now, started on an Amiga computer, then bought lots of synths and samplers and stuff. mainly use plugins these days, but have a CV pedal thing for sequencing my old korg and roland analogue synths, for when i want a dirty phat sound.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 7:50 pm

Ah, this is the place I need to come to for information, then... We have some trance music, Tiesto and the like, but of course there's some singing in it and it all has the heavy dance beat. That's fine sometimes, but lately I've been trying to find something of that sort but with no singing and a lighter treatment to the beat. Hallucinogen seemed to be nearer the mark, but all the samples I listened to sound the same. I really wanted something like a song named Continuum from a game called acid tetris. It was complex somewhat in the manner of Bach but with an electronic sound, very spacey. Trouble is, you search for electronic, trance, new age, and within each category you get a huge variety of results.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2009, 8:00 pm

I love anything made with an analog modeling synth. I'm not a huge fan of turntable dj music, but those who spend hours and hours with a computer tuning every single note, that's hard work, and it pays off. Good Electronic music can be the hardest music there is to make, yet it's not well respected by many musicians since the computer is doing most of the work of actually playing it. You can't just sit down at a synthesizer and start playing and make good trance, it takes hours of hard work scripting every aspect of it. The way I always looked at it, most music is played, where Electronic music is engineered.

Gimmethecreeps

07 Jun 2009, 12:48 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Does anyone else love electronic music with its weird and fantastic sounds and repetitive beats?
People think I'm extra weird for liking such music. I just wondered if anyone else find such music hypnotic and mind blowing? There seems to be something very aspie about such music; especially if it is "pure" and has no vocals.

In my younger days it was Pink Floyd and Sky, but since then bands like Orbital (They released several albums also did sound tracks for Dr Who and films such as Event Horizon).

Definitely hypnotic. I love electronic music in (nearly) all of its forms. I haven't found much of anyone that "gets" it. Some people would say it's cold/mechanical/whatever but it seems deeply organic to me. I love instrumental stuff like tracks from DJ Shadow or DJ Krush. I also like the harder "Industrial" stuff too. I've heard either "What is this crap" or "Is it supposed to do that?" many times.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 4:26 pm

I really like ambient and minimal stuff. especially longer sets, with lots of monotone beats. try Ricardo Villalobos' Fabric 36, it's really cool and repetitive :p

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 10:30 pm

silvskaterdude wrote:
i like the new devloping rap genrees that mix rap with d- beat/ tenhno and or electrnica cyber hypnyo rap is good too but is only known by small local bands around ontario canada and their my space pages grime has the ood tencno sound in it but it is mostly raw amp feedbakc with rpa overlapping the sound making a unquie sounds but yeah unless it is mixed with rap no thanks but i am interted i nthe rise of these werid but awasome rap genres.

Isn't that Crunk?

HoxtonPaul wrote:
What does everyone think of this? Is there an Autistic sensibility in music? An aesthetic? (Big words)

Ta.

Patterns and echolalia and ocking is osmething you see ina lot of EDM. Especially patterns and echolalia.

EDIT: yes I like a lot of EDM. Mainly avoid D&B/Jungle and old house. HArdstyle fan + Eurodance and Trance.Electro house XD

DarkAngel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2009, 12:36 pm

I Listen to A Lot of Industrial Groups Such as Nine inch Nails,Front 242,Skinny Puppy,Nitzer Ebb and KMFDM,
and Also A Lot of Synthpop Like Depeche Mode,Ladytron,VNV Nation,IAMX,Julien-K and Kraftwerk.

I've Also Been Making My Own Stuff For Awhile and I'm Starting to Get Better.

audioeyes
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2009, 1:37 pm

DarkAngel wrote:
I Listen to A Lot of Industrial Groups Such as Nine inch Nails,Front 242,Skinny Puppy,Nitzer Ebb and KMFDM,
and Also A Lot of Synthpop Like Depeche Mode,Ladytron,VNV Nation,IAMX,Julien-K and Kraftwerk.

I've Also Been Making My Own Stuff For Awhile and I'm Starting to Get Better.

Oooh please share? How do you do it?

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 10:18 pm

I like electronic music, but much I don't like. I don't stand for the techno, danceable type music... anything with a four on the floor beat.

I like people who use experimental sounds in a melodic context. I'm a huge fan of squarpusher, and other more synth pop type bands... who may delve into glitch and other stuff. I don't care for Aphex Twin, but to be honest I haven't listened to all of his stuff. There's a high pitched sheen to his music that really bugs me. I like the experimental approach, as long as it's tasteful and done musically, like dissonance in jazz.

I also write my own electronic music. Which I find hard to classify, since I'm not into any scenes or know what genres are which. I just try to find good music.

I think part of my enjoyment of electronic music comes from video games. I think my appreciation of music got calibrated to the type of music coming from old video games. That sort of melodic, theme based electronic music really speaks to me.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.