Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Shygrrrl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2018, 1:26 am

Long story short i met this guy who told me he is high functioning autistic. He also told me he has a girlfriend that he's dated for 6 years. He's told me he's not interested in her romantically and they fight all the time and that he's been "dating around" for 2 years. He really likes me and wants me to move in with him but can't because she lives with him(he feels bad for her and she pays nothing). I can very much relate to his current situation my issue is... I'm not sure if i can trust him? I have told him my fears (like being dumped in two months for his ex((6 years is a long time)))and he says nothing. So I'm not sure how to comprehend that. I genuinely like him but ive been hurt pretty bad in the past I'm also diagnosed with ptsd and bi polar. I don't want to be a home wrecker either. Would anybody like to share their opinions?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Sep 2018, 1:37 am

I think you should not do it. You have some issues that are very incompatible with his current situation. You could give him an ultimatum that he has to pick who he's in a realtionship with & commit/follow through with it if he were to chose you.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Sep 2018, 7:27 am

nick007 wrote:
I think you should not do it.

Gotta agree.. based on what I heard, it sounds like there's too much potential for things to go poorly, and only a change to the fundamentals of the situation would really serve to address that concern.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 2:51 pm

This situation seems precarious and has, in my estimation, a low probability of working out well.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 3:38 pm

I concur. This man does not seem to be reliable. You deserve someone better.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 4:58 pm

Shygrrrl wrote:
Long story short i met this guy who told me he is high functioning autistic. He also told me he has a girlfriend that he's dated for 6 years. He's told me he's not interested in her romantically and they fight all the time and that he's been "dating around" for 2 years. He really likes me and wants me to move in with him but can't because she lives with him(he feels bad for her and she pays nothing). I can very much relate to his current situation my issue is... I'm not sure if i can trust him? I have told him my fears (like being dumped in two months for his ex((6 years is a long time)))and he says nothing. So I'm not sure how to comprehend that. I genuinely like him but ive been hurt pretty bad in the past I'm also diagnosed with ptsd and bi polar. I don't want to be a home wrecker either. Would anybody like to share their opinions?

How long have you known him for, that he wants you to move in?

Shygrrrl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2018, 7:49 pm

We have been talking for about 8 months. Just getting to know eachother. I think what i may do is tell him he needs to break up with her and be away from her before i consider moving in.
It sucks because its not a trustworthy situation. It also sucks because honestly we have a lot in common and enjoy talking to eachother.

When we first started talking he told me right away he was living with someone and they were "on and off" for the last couple years. I honestly didnt think much into it. I didnt think it would last. But here i am 8 months later.

But at the same time there is a small part of me that thinks he will do the same thing to me in a couple years

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 3:30 am

Shygrrrl wrote:

Are you asking us if you should trust a man who cheats on his current girlfriend not to cheat on you?

No. Of course not. Why would you think you should?

Cheating has nothing to do with the person being cheated on and everything to do with the person who is doing the cheating. So there will not be something special about you that changes his behavior.

Are you asking if you can trust him not to dump you? You can't trust anyone not to ever dump you. Relationships are conditional and there are instances where people should be dumped. If, when you first meet someone, you will only date them on the condition that they promise to never dump you, you are essentially demanding a life commitment from day 1. That is unreasonable unless this is an arranged contract marriage such as the type many religious communities and certain cultures have.