A fact on the internet that has never changed.

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Apr 2021, 11:50 am

Parenting groups tend to be women dominated but some can still have a bit of men in them. Single moms are more common than single dads; I would not call somebody a parent who is not majorly involved with their kids & lets the other parent handle that responsibility. I'm NOT suggesting that a single dad joins the PTA or a parenting support group with the intention of getting a relationship. The kids must come 1st & it would probably be best for any single dad to establish himself there for a bit before making any move on a single mom. There are some dating sites for single parents(at least back in the day) & I would guess that those sites are also women dominated or would at least be more evenly split between men & women. A guy would have to be a single dad to join thou. As a side-note, I've heard of some guys using little kids in their family like nieces who are babies as a way to pick up women.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 5:55 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Minervx_2 wrote:
On apps where you meet people in real life, this is true. Because of sexual harassment and risks to safety, a portion of women are less inclined to use these services.

But on other websites, the gender ratio is more even. On social media, women outnumber men by 7-8%. There are plenty of women on snapchat, instagram, tiktok, etc.

Your interests are also a factor. If you go on sites or groups for male-dominated interests, you won't see a lot of women. But there are interests that are gender neutral or more populated by women.

What’s the gender ratio for fans of shows like the Simpsons and South Park?

I’ve been on a Simpsons forum since 2007, and it’s always been male-dominated. Maybe 75% male.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 6:27 pm

Coronation Street stuff: mostly female
Trans related stuff: only technically sausage fests with them being mostly for trans women unless specifically aimed at trans guys/non-binary people.

I feel like what happens a lot is gender segregation rather than women not being around. If you were to join a knitting circle online or a soap forum or something like that, you would be assumed female until proven otherwise.

There's a few things which are not gender specific and I tend to find a 45% female rate on them. Stuff like art forums.

And yes... presenting as female versus presenting as male. Presenting as male I get rare creeps. None of them seem real. None of them post or pin etc. All 'female' (and seem to be invented by cis guys) and be bots.

Presenting as female or openly being a trans guy attracts males acting like creeps who are real guys with real interests etc who are not just bots. Easy to tell the difference.

I let neither follow me. Some bot in a bikini? That's probably a stolen photo and they probably want to harvest data. I'd advise guys to use your brain and not let these bots follow you around the internet just cos the girl in the photo is hot.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 8:04 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
What I wanna tell to everyone here, that ANY online group or any group of strangers formed via internet will always be a sausage fest (men way outnumber women), this is a rule of thumb to accept.

There are exceptions. For example, the male-to-female ratio on Wrong Planet fluctuates, but sometimes it's close to fifty-fifty.

Some topics attract more women than others. Some topics attract a majority of women.

rottingpetal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Apr 2021, 11:58 pm

Here's my theory:
When the internet went public, it was the tech nerds that dominated it who tended to be male. For so long the internet was seen as a "nerdy" venture and you were looked at funny for being a part of it.
Offline, men tend to be more lonely, involuntarily and by nature making their escapism either television/movies or the internet. On the contrary, women tend to have friend groups that they frequently socialize with and if they don't have that, they have family. To keep up with a natural social life, women were/are less likely to deeply immerse themselves in internet culture and be "very online." But what if the internet was your social life? I'd say, until the popularity of social media, when websites like Tumblr popped up did women start taking interest in online activities. From my experience, the only really female dominated places online are Tumblr and Instagram, both social websites that encourage you to post photos and videos rather than being strictly text-based communication.
Overall, I'd say that internet culture is still dictated by men because they're sinking more of their free time into it. I don't know if it's just my observation, but they tend to be more opinionated too so you're more likely to see them posting their opinions and debating them too.

The internet was something that raised me, so I've been around and I've noticed the same thing. Other than my time on Tumblr, I could easily say that all the places I've called home online have been male dominated and remain to be. As I've said though, in recent years there's been an up-tick of women online probably because of social media connecting them with friends and family.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 2:32 am

rottingpetal wrote:
Here's my theory:
When the internet went public, it was the tech nerds that dominated it who tended to be male. For so long the internet was seen as a "nerdy" venture and you were looked at funny for being a part of it.
Offline, men tend to be more lonely, involuntarily and by nature making their escapism either television/movies or the internet. On the contrary, women tend to have friend groups that they frequently socialize with and if they don't have that, they have family. To keep up with a natural social life, women were/are less likely to deeply immerse themselves in internet culture and be "very online." But what if the internet was your social life? I'd say, until the popularity of social media, when websites like Tumblr popped up did women start taking interest in online activities. From my experience, the only really female dominated places online are Tumblr and Instagram, both social websites that encourage you to post photos and videos rather than being strictly text-based communication.
Overall, I'd say that internet culture is still dictated by men because they're sinking more of their free time into it. I don't know if it's just my observation, but they tend to be more opinionated too so you're more likely to see them posting their opinions and debating them too.

The internet was something that raised me, so I've been around and I've noticed the same thing. Other than my time on Tumblr, I could easily say that all the places I've called home online have been male dominated and remain to be. As I've said though, in recent years there's been an up-tick of women online probably because of social media connecting them with friends and family.

This.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 2:34 am

rottingpetal wrote:
As I've said though, in recent years there's been an up-tick of women online probably because of social media connecting them with friends and family.

Social media has definitely increased the amount of people who use the Internet, by a staggering amount. You don't even need a geeky computer anymore to access it.

The "old frontier" is dead and gone.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Apr 2021, 4:47 am

Grammar Geek wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
What’s the gender ratio for fans of shows like the Simpsons and South Park?

I’ve been on a Simpsons forum since 2007, and it’s always been male-dominated. Maybe 75% male.
My current girlfriend has been a Simpsons fan for a very long time & she also likes South Park & other adult & teen cartoons. My 1st girlfriend was also into those shows & we actually met on Comedy Central's forums way back in the day when they had them.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2021, 10:40 am

rottingpetal wrote:
Overall, I'd say that internet culture is still dictated by men because they're sinking more of their free time into it.

This is not even true. You're defining internet culture by communities that men frequent, but not the ones that women frequent?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 10:51 am

Minervx_2 wrote:
rottingpetal wrote:
Overall, I'd say that internet culture is still dictated by men because they're sinking more of their free time into it.
This is not even true.  You're defining internet culture by communities that men frequent, but not the ones that women frequent?
Where are these communities that women allegedly frequent?

Which of these communities welcome men as equals?

Who are the women who allegedly frequent them?

What are their topics of conversation?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Apr 2021, 11:16 am

Of the online communities I personally encountered?
Artistic crafts groups. I was active in a tailoring one for a few years.
The natural cosmetics community I used to visit was all happy to mix a special solution for man's hands all grease-stained and sore from chemical damage after tinkering in his garage - but men didn't go there, their girlfriends did the research.
I expect e.g. psychology self-help to be quite feminized, too.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>