Texification: The root of my struggles?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 3:45 pm

I often wonder if the root of my struggles is the “Texification” of the people in my state. I live in Central Texas (Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood metropolitan area) and people here tend to talk very loudly, speed their vehicles like they are racing, have their stereos on full blast, eat huge amounts of food, drink gallons of beer, smoke cigarettes until the air in the area stinks, urinate on the ground (More so men than women), and punch those who disagree with them.

Women who are “Texified” tend to want men who are aggressive, say they are Christian even if they don’t truly follow the tenants of Christianity, and only do things that are “manly” such as the aforementioned behavior above as well as shoot innocent animals for fun. It doesn’t matter what racial or ethnic group though it’s less so with Indian and Middle Eastern women but the former tend to have arranged marriages due to them being predominantly Hindu and the latter are predominantly Muslim as well as marry early. I also didn’t get to go to a city public school. I was made to go to a Baptist Christian private school and later a public school that was out in the sticks.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 6:22 pm

I don’t know how I myself didn’t become “Texified” despite living here all my life. I know there are some women here who aren’t but they are in the extreme minority and they tend to have boyfriends or husbands already. Did I permanently fall through the cracks?

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 1:51 am

Get out! As I've told you before, I grew up in the same area and hated it. I didn't manage to find my own way till I left and never looked back. And, despite my oddities, people in some other places were a lot more accepting of me, too. Big, international cities tend to be a lot more forgiving of weirdness and difference, especially if you have some talent or ability. Foreign international cities are even better, because people expect foreigners to be different.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Apr 2021, 2:42 am

I know what your talking about Marknis. I'm not from Texas but I lived in a neighboring state, Louisiana till I was 28. Both my exes were from Texas but they were different from lots of women there. You might have better luck in a bigger city there, maybe moreso if there's a big college there. Benjamin the Donkey has a point. Things might be better if you could get out of there. I know that can be much easier said than done thou. I had to do the LDR relationship thing with my current girlfriend before I was able to get away from Louisiana. I think Vermont is about as far as I can get from Louisiana without leaving the country but I s#ck with map stuff so I could be wrong. Things are NOT perfect here either but are a lot better in some ways. I don't feel trapped here like I had felt being forced to live with my parents due to no other options. My girlfriend actually relates a bit cuz she grew up in probably the most conservative town in the state. She hated living there & had always wished that her parents woulda moved out of there. When she was in middle school she stayed in a nearby town briefly & it felt like a night & day difference to her. People were much nicer.

BTW When I read Texification in the tittle, I thought you were talking about text messaging 8O I was wondering what text messaging had to do with your struggles :lol:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 3:13 am

Marknis wrote:
I often wonder if the root of my struggles is the “Texification” of the people in my state. I live in Central Texas (Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood metropolitan area) and people here tend to talk very loudly, speed their vehicles like they are racing, have their stereos on full blast, eat huge amounts of food, drink gallons of beer, smoke cigarettes until the air in the area stinks, urinate on the ground (More so men than women), and punch those who disagree with them.

Women who are “Texified” tend to want men who are aggressive, say they are Christian even if they don’t truly follow the tenants of Christianity, and only do things that are “manly” such as the aforementioned behavior above as well as shoot innocent animals for fun. It doesn’t matter what racial or ethnic group though it’s less so with Indian and Middle Eastern women but the former tend to have arranged marriages due to them being predominantly Hindu and the latter are predominantly Muslim as well as marry early. I also didn’t get to go to a city public school. I was made to go to a Baptist Christian private school and later a public school that was out in the sticks.

:lol: Your description of the locals amuses me, it is very good.

I recommend just keep an open mind, go to places you like to go, eventually you may meet a woman who is thinking the same exact things that you are.

I spoke with a therapist over the phone recently (socially, not professionally), and when I told her about some of the women I encountered, she just said, "Well, those women are not for you!" with the implication that I shouldn't concern myself with those and just keep on keeping on, don't change and don't try to change.

Being different means it is difficult to find someone, that is just one of those things. However being with another person is certainly not all it is cracked up to be all the time. I wonder how those Bambi-shooters get on with their Christian wives.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 5:26 am

Gentleman Argentum wrote:
Being different means it is difficult to find someone, that is just one of those things. However being with another person is certainly not all it is cracked up to be all the time. I wonder how those Bambi-shooters get on with their Christian wives.
It depends on the woman. Some of the more traditional women believe that her husband needs to be in charge & it is her duty to obey. That type of thinking can lead to some women getting & staying in majorly abusive relationships. Seems almost like brainwashing in a way having those beliefs pushed on them growing up & that they'll spend eternity on fire for going against it. Sh!t like that is a major reason why I'm a male feminist & a Secular Humanist.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 6:24 am

I am a curious mix where I live because there is a drinking culture here where people go from pubs to pubs and nightclubs etc and I don't go to any of them. The only rare time I will go in a pub is for a meal at lunchtimes if I know there is good food, or at weddings etc but it is rare.

So I am considered a bit wierd because I do not mix too much with others in the same way that others do.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 9:57 am

nick007 wrote:
It depends on the woman. Some of the more traditional women believe that her husband needs to be in charge & it is her duty to obey. That type of thinking can lead to some women getting & staying in majorly abusive relationships. Seems almost like brainwashing in a way having those beliefs pushed on them growing up & that they'll spend eternity on fire for going against it. Sh!t like that is a major reason why I'm a male feminist & a Secular Humanist.

I’ve even met women who think women shouldn’t be president. They also think they shouldn’t have interests that are “manly” and will even give women who like things like video games and comics flack. They’ll also say the term science fiction in a mocking tone.

My older brother mocked me for saying I am a Secular Humanist. He boasted that being a Christian allowed him to “f**k b*****s” even though pre-marital sex is supposed to be a sin. He doesn’t boast anymore since he now has four kids with a fifth coming and is in an unhappy marriage.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 10:46 am

nick007 wrote:

BTW When I read Texification in the tittle, I thought you were talking about text messaging 8O I was wondering what text messaging had to do with your struggles :lol:

It’s caused another kind of problem. People are so absorbed into their phones that they shut out others in person. I noticed this especially at college.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 10:52 am

nick007 wrote:

When a person comes up against obvious injustice and wrong, it is only natural to swing in the opposite direction, even go to the other extreme.

I grew up going to church, and it turned me off so bad, I became atheist.
Many of my teachers were rabid conservatives, along with Rush Limbaugh, so I became a radical liberal.
What else? Oh yeah- drugs. We had constant anti-drug education at school, so I became a pot smoker and started dealing, then growing it.

Basically, any opinion or idea that gets "popular" among many people, also gets flavored by the stupidity and meanness of those people... and turns people off.

Later in life, I met a bunch of atheists. Now I believe in God again! :lol:

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 11:37 am

Would anyone be sad if I went through life and never found a loved one to spend it with?

Dog1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2021, 1:08 pm

Marknis wrote:
Would anyone be sad if I went through life and never found a loved one to spend it with?

Yes. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Also - why haven’t you left Texas yet?

Your problems will literally be over, once you do.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 1:14 pm

Marknis wrote:
My older brother mocked me for saying I am a Secular Humanist. He boasted that being a Christian allowed him to “f**k b*****s” even though pre-marital sex is supposed to be a sin. He doesn’t boast anymore since he now has four kids with a fifth coming and is in an unhappy marriage.

Wow, poor him. Would you prefer to be in his cage?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 1:43 pm

Marknis wrote:
I would be sad cuz you know I've been there before. I can feel empathy for others when I've been in a simiilar hellish situation myself. I may not reply to your posts very often but that's cuz I don't know how to help. You know my story of what I tried & considered & luck was a major help as well.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 5:44 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Marknis wrote:

I don’t. It goes to show that while following the crowd might get you instant gratification (I would say nine times out of ten. I was one of the ten’s.), the long term results can be unfavorable.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 6:18 pm

Marknis wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Marknis wrote:

I don’t. It goes to show that while following the crowd might get you instant gratification (I would say nine times out of ten. I was one of the ten’s.), the long term results can be unfavorable.

Exactly, even more so if you know from the get-go what works for the average won't work for you.

I try to voice this sort of perspective because I know that a dream coming true doesn't mean it'll come true in the way you'd like; the alternate universe you that got married young with someone who was available but not very compatible, leaving you with a kid and other soul-crushing responsibilities is probably even less happy than the this universe you.

Some of the experiences you might view as failures might actually be dodged bullets; the only problem is that it's hard to tell without being able to compare how both realities would unfold.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う