Yes most women have a strong preference for tall men 32%  32%  [ 7 ]
No women dont care about height unless you are very short 68%  68%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 22

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 2:31 pm

babybird wrote:
The thing is though, everyone's more or less the same height when they're sat down so if you was in a pub or bar and everyone's sat around tables or what ever; how can you tell how tall they are?

Yep, sitting down is "The Great Equalizer".
And standing next to others certainly accentuates the differences. Here's me next to a GF, who is 5', 10"+, I think:

(Note that we're standing next to each other's bicycles, thus the apparent mis-fitment)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 3:36 pm

Well....you're more than a foot taller than me!

Nice picture!

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 5:53 pm

theprisoner wrote:
6', 6" is impressive. I rarely see anybody that tall. that's like a basketball player. I don't know what a women would make of that, though. You're verging on giant territory.

I dated a guy who was around 6.5-7 foot tall. He had trouble with some activities and complained about back and joint pain a lot.

True giants tend to live shorter than average lifespans due to excessive wear on their bodies due to their size.

I don't view height as a determining factor, although I do understand the appeal of not dating guys shorter than you are. But 6 foot tall women rarely meet compatible men taller than they are. So....??

Excessive obsession with height doesnt make sense to me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 7:01 pm

Height is an important factor but as with a lot of things there's a sliding scale and it moves depending on many other factors. Most notable is money/social status/sociability/communication (the list goes on).

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 11:45 am

Height definitely matters, but most guys are at a stature where it doesn't significantly affect their dating options, so they're not really impacted by height discrimination in the dating world.

Below are several examples of how a man's height might affect his dating prospects, and this is based on the western world and assuming the average man is around 5 ft 10.

6 ft to 6 ft 4

You are the ideal male height and should not experience any discrimination or disadvantages in dating when it comes to your height. In fact, you will probably receive an advantage for being this tall, since many women are romantically and sexually attracted to tall men. 95% of women are shorter than you in this range.

5 ft 11 to 5 ft 8

You are the average height for a man. Although there are women with 6 ft tall height requirements, these women are the minority and you shouldn't experience much discrimination for your height if you fall in this range. You are still 4-7 inches taller than the average woman, and most women wont reject you for your height.

5 ft 7 and 5 ft 6

You are a little below average height for a man. You should experience some discrimination for your height at this range. But if your looks, your physique, and your social skills are on point, this discrimination can relatively easily be overcome and you can still be successful with women. You are still taller than the average woman and many women in the 5 ft 4 or under range will still be willing to go out with you.

5 ft 5 to 5 ft 4

At this height, you will definitely experience dating discrimination for your stature. At this range, at least 50% of women are taller than you, and many of these women will automatically write your off because you are shorter than they are. However, this can still be overcome if your looks, physique, and social skills are on point, although you may not have as many dating options compared to a man who's 5 ft 10.

5 ft 3 to 5 ft 1

You will experience significant discrimination from women because of your height. Not only are you short, but you're shorter than 75% to 90% of women in your area, and many of these women will NOT go out with you because you're shorter, sometimes significantly shorter than they are. Your dating options are automatically limited, sometimes even significantly limited, if you fall in this range. You will probably never be a Don Juan or a ladies man but getting a girlfriend can still be possible, although with a lot more effort compared to a man who's 5 ft 10. At this height, looking for love in another country where the average woman is shorter such as countries in south america or south-east asia, might be a viable option for you.

Wornhat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2021, 1:50 pm

Muse that’s a great assessment, is that based on your observation or study?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 4:14 pm

Muse, do you have any actual evidence that women who only date taller men are a significant proportion of the dating pool? From chatting with girls about guys they find hot or not hot, I've found it's rare for them to mention height positively or negatively - it's more about facial features, behavior and chest muscles.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 4:42 pm

Sounds like a whole lot of speculation to me….

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 6:22 pm

General gist is about right.

Women discriminate against height roughly the same way men discriminate against weight/looks.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 3:06 am

cyberdad wrote:

Women discriminate against height roughly the same way men discriminate against weight/looks.

at least a fat girl can workout and change her weight

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 4:26 am

Jamesy wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

at least a fat girl can workout and change her weight

Some do, most don't.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 4:42 am

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
I don't view height as a determining factor, although I do understand the appeal of not dating guys shorter than you are. But 6 foot tall women rarely meet compatible men taller than they are. So....??

I had a 6'4 woman neighbor. the guy she as with was about 6foot. Shes probably the tallest woman ive ever seen. I suppose she had no choice to go for somebody shorter. That's a special case though. Most woman will not date somebody shorter than themselves.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 4:57 am

theprisoner wrote:
that1weirdgrrrl wrote:

I had a 6'4 woman neighbor. the guy she as with was about 6foot. Shes probably the tallest woman ive ever seen. I suppose she had no choice to go for somebody shorter. That's a special case though. Most woman will not date somebody shorter than themselves.

She does have options....its called men's basketball

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 5:08 am

I wonder when women say they want someone tall, is it as flexible for my want of a guy with long flowing hair. Guess what I did not get....a guy with long flowing hair, I got a guy who has recedeing hair-line and all he can really do is get it in a bit of a mohawk that looks good but that is all he can really do with the hair he has for it look decent.

So like women say 'oh I'd want a tall guy...ect' but once they meet a guy who interests them they will drop a lot of those initial things they say of a guy they want. Idk I have seen dating shows where a person hits it off better with the person with what they said they should have been less attractive to them but then they hit it off better with the guy who does not fit the physical description they gave of their ideal guy.

maybe as autistics some of us are taking reasons for turn downs to literally sometimes. Like if a woman rejected a guy shorter than her, that does not mean it is the end all reason..idk maybe said short guy forgot to leave the chip on his shoulder behind before going on the date and instead projected negativity which turned her off, but it never really was about the height in the first place.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 6:20 am

I'm 6' and I still struggle.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 9:06 am

I do think that a lot of women care about height. Do all of them care? No. But anybody who tells you height doesn't matter is lying or misinformed.

But like I said, most guys are at a height where it doesn't significantly impact their dating options. If you're a 5 ft 10 man, even a 5 ft 7 man in certain cases, you have no reason to think height matters because it doesn't negatively impact you.

Once you start getting below a certain height, especially below the average female height in your country, then you'll definitely start feeling some effects of height discrimination in dating. I do believe that in most cases, this can be overcome, although you may have to work harder compared to a man who's 5 ft 10.