Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 9:19 pm

I met a guy on Instagram, I don’t know if he real or not. What the new scammers out there?

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 12:05 am

There's several ways to test if he's a scammer or not, which I will explain down below.

1. One of the easiest ways to tell if a guy is a scammer is if he's not willing to do video or audio call. Scammers will never be willing to call you (for obvious reasons). So if you've been talking to him for more than a month and he still is unwilling to video call you, that's a serious red flag and I would personally ditch him.

2. If you find out his first and last name, do a google search of him and see if anything comes up such as social media profiles. Does he have a Facebook account that appears to be active and have friends on it? That's definitely a green flag. If a Facebook account doesn't come up, that's not necessarily a red flag since a lot of people don't have Facebook accounts.

3. Take the pictures he has on his instagram profile and do a google image search of them. What you're trying to search for is pictures he may have gotten off of the internet, so he is impersonating someone else. If no results come up, that's a green flag.

4. Does he ask for money? Definitely a red flag.

5. If he ever tries to rush marriage with you, especially if he's from a 3rd world country, that's a red flag, and most likely he's just trying to use you for a green card.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 1:15 am

If he’s « an officier the Army » then he’s a scammer.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 2:28 am

If he video chats you but has a bad signal so the call lasts 5 seconds

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 9:30 am

People meet online all of the time, and relationships that start long distance, while relatively uncommon, are not super unusual either. They can definitely work.

You just have to be somewhat cautious and if you spot any major red flags, you have to be willing to walk away.

- Another orange flag I didn't mention is if the person you're talking to is much younger and/or better looking than you are. You have to be realistic; if you're an old, obese, ugly woman, why would a 30 year old man who looks like a male model give you the time of day? THIS ISN'T ALWAYS THE CASE but if someone is much more attractive than you are, you should be questioning why they like you in the first place and what their intentions are.

- Never send nudes or sexually explicit pictures of yourself. That can be used to blackmail you.

- Consistently going 3-4 days without texting back. If it happens once, maybe they were genuinely too busy. If it happens again, then you should be questioning whether or not dating them is even worth it because they are either genuinely too busy for a relationship, or they're really not that into you at all.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 10:00 am

Does he have a great body with visible abs, big biceps and a good face?

Does he work in the military?

Does he have a high flying career?

Does he have lots of money?

If the answer is yes to any then it's likely he's a scammer, especially if it's yes to the first.

As Muse said too, be realistic about any differences between you and him. If there's a gaping chasm between how you both look, how old you are and how much money you make then it's almost certainly a fake.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 10:49 am

If they ask for any kind of account or financial information, money, cryptocurrency, or for you to create any sort of account on any other website then it's 100% a scam - it may be a bot, or it may be a real person, but they're not interested in you At ALL. They just want to steal your credit/bank card information or identity information so they can use it elsewhere, or they just want to scam you for money directly.

A common one is asking people to sign up on some sort of safety screening website to "prove you're a safe person and your identity is real," but really they just want you to enter your name and credit card info - either they're just scamming you for the sign up fee money, recurring monthly charges, Or it's a phishing website where they're capturing all your info so they can use your card details to withdraw more money or go shopping for gift cards/purchases etc.

No one who's real will ever ask you for $ or identity documents or account information or to create an account on some other website.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 1:12 am

Muse933277 wrote:
There's several ways to test if he's a scammer or not, which I will explain down below.

1. One of the easiest ways to tell if a guy is a scammer is if he's not willing to do video or audio call. Scammers will never be willing to call you (for obvious reasons). So if you've been talking to him for more than a month and he still is unwilling to video call you, that's a serious red flag and I would personally ditch him.

2. If you find out his first and last name, do a google search of him and see if anything comes up such as social media profiles. Does he have a Facebook account that appears to be active and have friends on it? That's definitely a green flag. If a Facebook account doesn't come up, that's not necessarily a red flag since a lot of people don't have Facebook accounts.

3. Take the pictures he has on his instagram profile and do a google image search of them. What you're trying to search for is pictures he may have gotten off of the internet, so he is impersonating someone else. If no results come up, that's a green flag.

5. If he ever tries to rush marriage with you, especially if he's from a 3rd world country, that's a red flag, and most likely he's just trying to use you for a green card.

He said he in the Navy or Marines.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:53 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Muse933277 wrote:

He said he in the Navy or Marines.

Fake.

I think it'll be worth trying to be realistic about the types of relationships and men who might develop a mutual interest with you. I think military men are not a good match for you and in all likelihood, they're not real.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 12:21 pm

Agreed. Sounds like a typical scammer preying on a lonely woman making up a character to play who’s in the Navy or Marines to suck you in with some stereotypical fantasy guy persona. They’re probably doing the same thing to dozens of other women at the same time and it’s only a matter of time before they “need money,” for something and they hope you’ve fallen for them hard enough to agree to “help them out,” and send money. That’s how these scams work.

I met some moron on a construction site one time who’s sent thousands of dollars to Asian women who’ve scammed him just like this - over and over, different women/maybe the same scammer’s different characters?? Lol but he never learns and thinks they’re in love with him. That’s why I refer to him as a moron.

At least you have the intelligence to suspect they may not be genuine and ask for other peoples’ input before you get to the stage of having feelings for this actor and then sending them money you can’t afford to send in the first place. Your best course of action is to just block them from everything and carry on with your life. Then if they contact you from another account and you figure out it’s the same scam, block ‘em again. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 4:09 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Agreed. Sounds like a typical scammer preying on a lonely woman making up a character to play who’s in the Navy or Marines to suck you in with some stereotypical fantasy guy persona. They’re probably doing the same thing to dozens of other women at the same time and it’s only a matter of time before they “need money,” for something and they hope you’ve fallen for them hard enough to agree to “help them out,” and send money. That’s how these scams work.

I met some moron on a construction site one time who’s sent thousands of dollars to Asian women who’ve scammed him just like this - over and over, different women/maybe the same scammer’s different characters?? Lol but he never learns and thinks they’re in love with him. That’s why I refer to him as a moron.

At least you have the intelligence to suspect they may not be genuine and ask for other peoples’ input before you get to the stage of having feelings for this actor and then sending them money you can’t afford to send in the first place. Your best course of action is to just block them from everything and carry on with your life. Then if they contact you from another account and you figure out it’s the same scam, block ‘em again. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Scammers usually portray themselves and 10s out of 10 online. They have the amazing looks and career but it's usually a lie.

I use a very rough yardstick for measuring compatibility and it's similarity attracts, not opposites.

To date a ten out of ten in one needs to be a ten out of ten in looks and money. Myself along with almost everyone else are not so it immediately rases my eyebrows if a poster boy (or woman) takes an interest.

You'll notice that lawyer, business owner, doctor and especially military are the usual careers of scammers.