Not as tolerant after high school?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 8:02 am

Guys do you find once your high school/college years are over and you enter your 20s that women are not as tolerant/nice towards you as they were in your school years?

I hope cornflake does not lock this thread.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 8:21 am

If anything, people are MORE tolerant of “differences” after their high school years—in my experience, at least.

High school was a very conformist place.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 8:31 am

I used to be friends with a guy who had bright ginger hair, wore glasses was 5ft7 and looked like Ed Sheeran.

Women would treat him like dirt

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 8:56 am

More tolerant of what? Being hit on? Harassed? Stalked? Gingers?

I hope Cornflake does lock this thread.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 9:02 am

Where_am_I wrote:
More tolerant of what? Being hit on? Harassed? Stalked? Gingers?

I hope Cornflake does lock this thread.

Well yeah maybe more tolerant of those things you mentioned

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 11:12 am

Jamesy wrote:
I used to be friends with a guy who had bright ginger hair, wore glasses was 5ft7 and looked like Ed Sheeran.

Women would treat him like dirt

Treat him how exactly and what what was he doing?

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2022, 11:19 am

Depends if the guy deserves me being tolerant of him. If he's a complete arse then of course not. Only once has my opinion of someone changed by talking to them and going from worse to better. It's more often the other way round.

That said I'm with kraftiekortie on this that people in general are more tolerant with differances as they get old. The exception can be with my grandparents generation as its more hit and miss.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 11:19 am

Humans are more intolerant than ever, no matter what their age.

Please cornflake, lock this thread. May you always stay crunchy, even in milk.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 11:42 am

Why the hatred against the thread? I've seen plenty of posts and threads relating to tolerance be age.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 9:51 pm

High school social life was a popularity and dating contest (who was going steady with whom?).  College social life was a drinking and engagement contest (who got the most wasted and who earned their "Mrs" degree?).  Career social life was a "Top Dog" and "Biologic Clock" contest (who got promoted and who had children.  Hint: They were not often the same people.).

Retirement social life seems much more relaxed, and less status-conscious.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 2:51 am

Fnord wrote:
High school social life was a popularity and dating contest (who was going steady with whom?).  College social life was a drinking and engagement contest (who got the most wasted and who earned their "Mrs" degree?).  Career social life was a "Top Dog" and "Biologic Clock" contest (who got promoted and who had children.  Hint: They were not often the same people.).

Retirement social life seems much more relaxed, and less status-conscious.

The contests at different stages through life are entertaining to me or more accurately, how others percieve themselves against one another and their own interpretation of where they fit.

Some people attempt to rise like a phoenix from the dumpster fire of their lives and you know you shouldn't laugh but you just can't help it. Nothing is weirder than someone flaunting their new found confidence (which often comes across as being cocky) while their life is an utter messy shambles.

As people get older, the level playing field youth afforded them vanishes and they bumbling through life or general success really begins to have a cumulative effect. Love it when the teenage and early 20s social butterflies really screw up their lives in their 30s but still act like they're winning.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 3:10 pm

I find that most people are more tolerant of individual differences after high school.

weirdperson75000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2022, 12:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If anything, people are MORE tolerant of “differences” after their high school years—in my experience, at least.

+ 1

Girls, and people in general, are way way more tolerant of "different" guys AFTER High school

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 8:15 pm

weirdperson75000 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

+ 1

Girls, and people in general, are way way more tolerant of "different" guys AFTER High school

I agree.

During when I was in high school, many students were hipster-wannabes, punk-rocker types, or were self-righteous.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 11:59 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I find that most people are more tolerant of individual differences after high school.

Yes, this.

But I think it's also fair to say that high school students today are more tolerant of differences than high school students 20, 30, 40 or 50+ years ago.

There's been a lot of progress in attitudes towards LGBT people, fat people, people of different races, ethnicities, religions, or those with disabilities.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 12:38 am

I would also concur that people are more tolerant as adults than in high school, from my experience.