Is being clean shaved really not a good look?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 2:57 pm

I am mostly clean shaved and my brother said to me once “Being clean shaved is not a good look”.

Do you think maybe people will think I am gay or effeminate by not having any stubble or a beard? All my male associates have at least a bit of stubble on there faces except for me of course 8)

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 3:00 pm

Depends on how well you grow a beard and stubble. If you grow it well then might as well flaunt it.

I seem to grow a beard and stubble very well so I usually grow it well short of a beard but certainly coarse stubble. It goes well with my weirdly angular jawline that appeared out of nowhere in my early 20s.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 3:09 pm

Jamesy wrote:
I am mostly clean shaved and my brother said to me once “Being clean shaved is not a good look”.

Do you think maybe people will think I am gay or effeminate by not having any stubble or a beard? All my male associates have at least a bit of stubble on there faces except for me of course 8)

It depends on the person.

Also, plenty of gay men have beards it would be weird of people to assume that if you don't have a beard.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 11:04 pm

Many men look good clean-shaven. Many men don’t look too good with beards.

Agent_Elflord
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Nov 2022, 1:27 am

shaving your face is fine in my observation, but people will question your sexuality if you shave your arms, legs, and chest and stuff.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2022, 12:04 pm

I think this is cultural or context sensitive. I don't know how it's like where you are. I remember seeing a video asking how Japanese women thought about facial hair and they said they found it unattractive and preferred clean shaven. It seems like in order to have a successful political career in the United States you have to be clean shaven, but in the days of Abe Lincoln it was the opposite.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Struggle7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Dec 2022, 11:08 am

I prefer clean-shaven. Always have. I assume facial hair will not be clean. Some guys can rock the stubble, and that's fine, but that's different from a beard. And if you're 40 or past, I'd shave the beard because men with beards in their 40s tend to look ancient.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2022, 10:23 pm

It's a matter of preference. Some guys prefer to be clean-shaven. Some guys prefer to rock a mountain man beard. And everything in between.

I myself am generally clean-shaven. However, I have dabbled with mustaches. I've also dabbled with short stubble beards. Once the short stubble beard starts to get long, I don't enjoy it anymore.

As for attracting a partner, it's also a matter of preference on their part.

Agent_Elflord wrote:
shaving your face is fine in my observation, but people will question your sexuality if you shave your arms, legs, and chest and stuff.

Plenty of straight bodybuilders/athletes shave/wax their body hair.

Agent_Elflord

08 Dec 2022, 2:01 am

SkinnyElephant wrote:
It's a matter of preference. Some guys prefer to be clean-shaven. Some guys prefer to rock a mountain man beard. And everything in between.

I myself am generally clean-shaven. However, I have dabbled with mustaches. I've also dabbled with short stubble beards. Once the short stubble beard starts to get long, I don't enjoy it anymore.

As for attracting a partner, it's also a matter of preference on their part.

Agent_Elflord wrote:

Plenty of straight bodybuilders/athletes shave/wax their body hair.

I'm well aware of that, and also swimmers and I think Cyclists do as well. I meant that the "macho" people will assume that a guy who shaves their body aside from face is queer, not that I see it that way.

RiverLad
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Dec 2022, 4:51 am

A person who genuinely likes you won’t care

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:45 am

For some of us, a beard is merely something that "happens" when body maintenance is lacking. I would prefer to be able to just "turn off" the growth cycle, and would gladly do so permanently, if a temporary option was not available.

I know that many beard-wearers and beard viewers have strong opinions on the merits of having one, aesthetically, and have specific requirements for beard style, when present, to ensure optimum beardy goodness.

When at a low ebb of functionality, I've often let mine grow to the point where I'm chewing on the damn thing for a while before I get annoyed by this enough to lop it off again, and start over. If I had a partner that had specific preferences regarding my beard, I can accommodate her, to be sure, but left to my own devices it's just useless, stupid face hair!

That said, I consider the following photo, made about two and a half years ago, to be perhaps the best one ever made of me. It was just a smart-phone grab shot by my then-girlfriend, on a day when I was quite burned-out. The stubble and gray hair makes it more illustrative of my state of mind at the time, I think.

Darron

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Dec 2022, 1:19 pm

Agent_Elflord wrote:
I think that stereotype might vary by area & circumstances. If you live near a popular beach, guys might be more likely to shave all over for swimming, surfing, & other beach activities. I haven't heard many people say they find hairy guys in swimming trunks very attractive. Also muscular guys into physical fitness may be less likely to get the gay label for not having body hair.

There is a stereotype in some areas that having a clean shaven face except for a mustache is a sign of being gay but that might just be the area I grew up.

Some guys know how to make having beards a part of their identity & stand out from the crowd. For example the band ZZ.Top is well known for their beards & their beards along with being sharp dressed men, really helped their success as a band & with the ladies :mrgreen:

That said, facial hair or not can be a very individualized thing. Different styles can work well for different guys & differnt women can have different preferences. My girlfriend doesn't like long beards because of something like a post-traumatic stress thing. A bit of the guys she knew with beards growing up were angry alcoholics. She wouldn't really be bothered by me having a beard if I wanted to grow one but she's still glad I don't. I hate shaving partly due to various motor-skills issues so my face doesn't get shaved very often but Cass doesn't care if I have a lot of stubble or not & some meds I'm on reduce my facial hair & body hair growth so my face doesn't need to be shaven very often.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 2:06 pm

nick007 wrote:
There is a stereotype in some areas that having a clean shaven face except for a mustache is a sign of being gay but that might just be the area I grew up.

I see that as "cop":

"Mother of God!"

W12Ranger
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Dec 2022, 4:23 pm

It mostly depends on your overall facial structure.

Some guys look better clean shaven, others looks better with stubble as it can enhance your features and others look better with full beards. Find whatever works best for you.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 4:33 pm

I look especially wimpy when I shave. I would look old either way, because I AM old.