Does a Man really have to go out and by $150 Jeans etc?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2009, 9:31 pm

damn, the subject length needs to be lengthened. I mean at least in US Urban areas (which incl burbs) amongst the middle/upper middle class College educated crowd. my metrosexual friend told me this one day. I never did it. Just curious. It seems absolutely ridiculous. I think the max I'd be ok with for jeans is 50 or $60.

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2009, 9:53 pm

Well, I'm middle-class and college-educated, and I think $150.00 on a pair of jeans is stupid. I prefer not to spend more than $40.00 on a pair. My husband mostly wears Levi's and gets them on sale.

Of course, I'm old and don't care about what's trendy. :P

psych
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 9:55 pm

my jeans only cost £3 - i think by the time you hit treble figures your well into the zone of diminishing returns :lol:

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 9:57 pm

vivinator wrote:
damn, the subject length needs to be lengthened. I mean at least in US Urban areas (which incl burbs) amongst the middle/upper middle class College educated crowd. my metrosexual friend told me this one day. I never did it. Just curious. It seems absolutely ridiculous. I think the max I'd be ok with for jeans is 50 or $60.

That high? I never buy jeans that cost more than $25, and they're perfectly comfortable... the only reason to buy expensive jeans is to say "yeah I have spare cash to blow on these jeans"... same applies for suits... you can find a good suit for about $100...

Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 10:00 pm

i don't spend more than 20$ on my jeans, ever.

28 May 2009, 10:13 pm

My bf has spent like 40 bucks on a pair of jeans. I never spend that much on one pair of clothing. I actually don't need new clothes because I have so many so I have nothing to worry about until my tummy starts getting big once I'm pregnant.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 10:19 pm

I can relate to this a bit as I have friends who would swear by the same thing; that if I want to meet a girl that actually has class, has her head on straight, is successful, she likely has money and you need to project yourself as successful - clothing being the quickest indicator. I do realize that these same friends are the kinds of NT's who have the same general problem most aspies do, they can't seem to will anything they want into existence relationshipwise, so they'll reach if they have to.

On one hand I'm already very picky about what I'll wear, most of the clothes I have aren't good enough in appearance by my own standards (and yes, that's probably more of a 'me' assessment not a broader reality), and I'd imagine that if I had to give myself a class lapel - if given the choice between buying an oversized house and just keeping it empty, buying a luxury/sport coupe that I could barely pay the payment and insurance on, or spending $1500 to $2,000 on wardrobe a year - the later seems the least absurd of the three. Then again I tend to take good care of my clothing as it is. I have two pairs of RE:VERB pants that I got from D.E.M.O. probably 4 years ago and they're still in great shape. Supposedly $200 pants don't last 3 times longer than $60 ones but still, if properly taken care of I can see where it takes a bit of the shock out of the picture.

Point being: if you do decide to spend that much on clothing, go with classics rather than fashion fads. If you think about dropping a couple C-notes on something and realize that within a year you could be embarassed to wear it; don't bother. Go with what'll still work and come off as classy in another 5 or 6 years.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 10:40 pm

I don't wear jeans, but I bought two pairs of trousers from Lanvin for €400 each last month. This month I bought two pair of shoes, from Yves Saint Laurent and NDC made by hand, for a total of around $1000. This coming month I checked out a pair of trousers from Dries Van Noten for $300 and some other nice stuff I want. But I'm also saving for my next cosmetic surgery.

I can't settle for any less quality than what I buy. It doesn't always have to be a designer name but the quality has to be equal to or better than high-end design. If something has a cheapish feeling, like H&M, I don't like it. The materials must feel special, regardless if it's cashmere or polyester it must feel luxurious and be made by expert craftsmen for me to feel good about it. It's my biggest aspie interest, style, beauty, health and quality.

I have to agree with that a classic style is best. Some of my favorite clothes, like my simple unlined cashmere-blend, minimalistic jacket from Valentino I bought in 2004 from Yoox, are still with me and still look like new despite being used a lot. The original retail price on that one would have been around $1200-1500 but the Yoox-price was like $550 or so. Probably one of my best investments. It's beyond classic and can be worn with almost anything.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 11:07 pm

Polgara wrote:
$150.00 on a pair of jeans is stupid.

QFT

I guess it's the designer thing but I wouldn't spend that much on jeans if they made me the sexiest guy on the planet or even played video games. Anyone shallow enough to only accept someone because they wear $100+ jeans is not worth anyone's company imo.

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2009, 12:06 am

It's not what you wear - at least in the sense of designer clothing or the like - that helps you socially. More like how you wear it, if anything. But I left high school a while back and it seems like those things still matter for both guys and girls at the high school I went to.

I don't think I have had a more expensive pair of jeans than 40 dollars. I mean, so long as they fit and the leg is neither too baggy or too skinny, it should be fine, provided you understand to what extent the community around you is fashion obsessed - that is the more important judgement.

Apep
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 May 2009, 12:54 am

First stop should be here. AskMen.com is the first place I stop when I want advice. They also cater to different price ranges.

Second stop should be here. Ask Andy About Clothes has very good advice and forums.

You should be able to get by with Levi's 501s. But they won't look as good as the trendiest, $150 jeans. I'd stick to gray pants (where the designer is not obvious). They are far more flexible then jeans. I'd also invest more in shoes and shirts than jeans. Even if you buy off the rack, say from a cheap brand like Paul Fredrick, get it tailored to fit you best. A reworked $60 shirt that fits right is far better than a $120 shirt that doesn't quite fit right.

aspieguy101
Raven
Raven

29 May 2009, 3:37 am

I'm not going to go out and buy 150 dollar jeans and neither should you.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 6:27 am

I wouldn't pay that much for one item of clothing (an entire outfit perhaps but not just one thing), though if someone else wants to use their cash that way it's their money. A person can get stuff that looks expensive but is reasonable in price. I bought a jacket for 40 euro, it looks good and has seen a lot of wear so far.

Last edited by LostAlien on 29 May 2009, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 7:53 am

I would never pay that much for jeans $25 i'd pay tops. Peopel that spend that much on clothes just to have the latest fad or think it makes them look better then anyone else are dumb.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 8:25 am

No way. That's nuts. Just get department store knock-offs for a fraction of the price. Same style, minus a few brand name labels; hardly anyone will notice the difference.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 8:33 am

It is ludicrous. I went into a shop in Chicago once that sold jeans for as much as $300 a pair. I tried a pair on just to see what $300 denim feels like around my butt. They are like custom fit, they dont just have waste size/leg length, but like 5 other measurments they take and carry sizes in to get the 'perfect' fitting pair of pants.
They just felt no different than the pair of Levi jeans you can get on sale anywhere for 2 for $60. And I bet my levi jeans will last for a 100 more wears than those $300 ones.

I do over spend on nicer clothes, dress pants and khakis and jackets. I have found that a $100 pair of khakis do fit and feel better made than the $30 or $40 pair you get at Target or JCPennies. So I will splurge on those, but I rarely wear anything but jeans, so the maybe 3 or 4 pairs of khaki pants I own i've bought over the last like 4 years.

I do have a few jackets that cost me an arm and a leg. They do fit better than what your run of the mill bargain suit store sells for $100-200. The few times a year I do need to get dressed up it feels good to be wearing something real nice though.