Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 5:48 pm

I have AS and so does my husband. we've known each other for 6 years, married for 2 and we have a very large age gap, me being the older partner. all around we're just weird but people accept us as a couple and we've found that by verbalizing more with each other we compensate for the lack of NV cues that most couples probably use. we can't get away with any mind games like making the other person guess how we feel, which seems to be a popular method of getting attention in a lot of relationships I've encountered. we also have respect for the other when they're in sensory overload, and it's basically a "stay away" situation.

my husband freely admits he'd have sex with most of the women he encounters but he'd hate to have to carry on a conversation with them. I don't like really masculine men, which miffs him when I say so because obviously I like him. when we can both tolerate it we're very affectionate and we like to cuddle.

he amused me quite a lot one day when he came home after visiting an old friend and was shaking his head, so I asked him what's on his mind and he said "I could never be in a relationship with someone who doesn't understand how to use the word 'colloquialism'". likewise, I tell people I don't ever want to be in a relationship with someone who isn't smart enough to talk to, after wasting so many years on my first husband who basically bored me to tears on a daily basis.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 10:44 pm

Katidid24 wrote:
Northeastern292 wrote:
I think that those with Asperger's can have meaningful relationships, and in some cases, have even more meaningful relationships than those who are NT in some cases. Those with Asperger's I think (I've seen it myself) tend to well, be less cocky in relationships, and personally, I can relate. I'd never try to be cocky around a girl (at least not intentionally, sometimes I do get way too flustered). Anyways, I see too many of my friends of the opposite sex getting hurt by jerks, and I would never want to stoop down to that level.

And that's why my ex-girlfriend ditched me, because she wanted to be able to flirt with every Tom, Dick and Harry out there. My problem was that I was too much of a gentleman, and not a jerk. Even with AS, I'm not afraid of commitment, and I'm not afraid to be honest. Basically, if you're going to be my girlfriend, be prepared for me to be a total sweetheart. :D

It's so true though I hate the overly cocky guys they do always tend to be massive jerks. I love the overbearingly sensitive guys like my boyfriend who happens to be an aspie :D It's easier to share feelings with them and not have to bottle them up and pretend like oh I do love you even though I really don't ya know? plus most of those as*holes usually only use girls for one thing and i'm sure you know what that is. So yeah I totally agree with you here and every girl who thinks that a jerkey,cocky asswipe(pardon the cuss) is right for them should read your's and my post and then go out and date an aspie I bet you and everyone else that they will have the best realtionship (as long as they know how to deal with guys sharing thier feelings) ever.

Thank you!! ! Someone agrees with me on that issue. There has been at least one girl I've passed up because I could tell she wanted an a-hole (and the fact that she cannot be single to save her life, and will be in a relationship just for the heck of being in one). Sorry, I don't play a-holeish boyfriend.

Pixelbreads
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2009, 11:23 am

My problem in relationships is that I can't lie.

I mean I don't do the obvious 'yeah you actually ARE fat' I have some tact that way...
but... I can't apologize unless I actually mean it. I have to tell people
in a relationship 100 times a day not to do something because of the sensory
problems, and when its a "no touch" day so its very frustrating for me and
I have a tourettes explosion 1-2 times a week...but I cannot bring myself to apologize unless
the person leaves it alone.

If they lecture me about it or get mad at all I can't bring myself to apologize
because to me its like saying I won't do it again when I know I will. Also I reflect whatever is expressed
towards me, so if someone snaps when I have to quickly get out to stop making a noise (before I pass out)
I freak out and disassociate.

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jun 2010, 8:30 am

Good question!

As the other gays and gals have said, it all depends on wether or not they are suited to each other. (as with anyone else really) however now for some new things to ponder about...

1. What if the man tries to be over protective of the woman. (It can also be the woman but often men with AS see themselves as the protectors, inspte of the moden age or personal cercomstances)

This can often happen as many of us (myself inclued) can get wrapped up in other peoples problems and will try to solve them! It's not really a bad thing in it's self but sometimes the saloutions can make more problems (e.g. they envolve acts of vilonce or the woman will sometimes feel that her indepence is being undermined)

2. What if one partner tries to mold the other in to his/her perfect man/woman.

They are (as I'm sure you've aware) quite common problems, but it would be good to hear some of your stories.

As it happens (in case you've not read my past posts) I do happen to have a girlfriend of whom I get along with very well.

Goodbye till next time.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 9:31 am

em_06 wrote:
Do you really think that two people with Asperger's can have a meaningful relationship? My boyfriend and I both have Asperger's and our relationship is going very well, but I am just curious to know what other people think about this.

It can, yes, but people shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that a relationship will be successful just because it's with another Aspie.

My Aspie/Aspie relationships (both with the same person, with a year between each) ended up dying a horrible death at the end - well, the first one did. The second one ended rather more smoothly.

But, while I was in them, I was very happy, and I don't regret it at all, and I certainly don't doubt that two Aspies can get along well in a relationship if they're right for each other.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jun 2010, 10:02 am

I haven't been participating on WP for some months, mostly due to the fact that I recently began a serious relationship with a fabulous Aspie woman. :D

We started out by agreeing to just be direct with each other & not play any of the NT dating games (e.g. "You have to guess what I want & if you're wrong, I'll resent it.")

Early on (before we even started seriously dating) we shared the book The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman - which I highly recommend. It's about the ways we express love & the ways we perceive that love is being expressed to us (Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Gift Giving, Acts of Service & Physical Touch.) The premise is that both partners need to be aware of the things their partner needs in order to feel loved. For it to work, I have to agree to make an effort to fulfil her love needs using HER love language & she has to do the same for me (using MY love language.)

So first, we had to communicate exactly what we each need to feel loved (there's a quiz at the back of the book to help each person identify their "primary love language.") Incredibly, it turns out that we both speak the same primary love language (Words of Affirmation) - and even more incredibly, Physical Touch is our secondary language.

We still express our love in other ways (Quality Time, Gift Giving & Acts of Service) - but it really helped to know what was MOST important to each other, right from the beginning.

On occasion, we have had miscommunications - but we've worked to establish a practice of "clearing the air" sooner, rather than later. We "ask & tell" - directly (but compassionately), before a small annoyance becomes a big issue. The more we do this, the easier it becomes.

In the very beginning, we both decided that we needed to feel we liked each other as people, before we could become romantic (we both had had relationships in which we found we didn't "like" the person we were in love with.) So we spent a few weeks just talikng to one another - time well spent.

I think it's because we both are on the autistic spectrum that it seems so natural for us to collaborate in designing our relationship logically & systematically. We still have to work at it - but all that work has shown definite benefits in both our lives!

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 3:42 pm

i think so :)
me and my girlfriend both have Aspergers and we've been together for about a little over 6 months now. I love her more than anything & she seems to think i'm the sweetest thing to walk god's green earth. She's recently even expressed a wish that we get married someday and have children. I said yes. We're thinking prolly when we're 24 a few years from now. Though she's already got a wedding dress picked out, and knows where she wants to have it.