Article from this BBS on "my movie."

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2005, 1:05 pm

I am new to the list. Dunc told me that one of you wrote an article about "Mozart and The Whale", the movie loosely inspired by my wife and me. The article is certainly the best I have seen by a peer, very fair.

As far as some of the writer's concerns, the use of "&" vs "and" is totally caused by the dysfunctional way that non-official sites about movies get their information. The official site uses "and" but I have no clue where the other sites get their "facts"; probably the same place Bush got his facts on Iraq's WMDs.

The movie is better than the trailer. That is almost a year old now and many changes were made. Another thing; neither my name or Mary's is used in the movie. It is a fiction; based on the period when we met and flashbacks from our lives leading up to 1993-1994. The orginal story, from the LA Times, is not mentioned on the official site but I am.

I am glad that the support group in the movie shows a wide range of autism and aspergers as well as people with different ethnicities and preferences sexually and in other matters. There is still too much use of my and Mary's savant skills but not nearly as much as in "Rain Man" and not so much that it dominates the story. The most interesting moments have nothing to do with that stuff though. Some of the supporting characters are definitely inspired by actual people who are still in my life and my original group.

MATW will be seen at the Palm Beach International Film Festival in April 2005. I will let you know if it is accepted at other festivals.

Thanks for your attention,

The Whale fka Jerry Newport

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2005, 1:39 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet, Jerry! Thanks for the info - the trailer looks pretty good so I'll be waiting for the film's release in the UK.

Glad you liked the article. :D

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2005, 2:39 pm

TheWhale wrote:
The official site uses "and" but I have no clue where the other sites get their "facts"; probably the same place Bush got his facts on Iraq's WMDs.

Urggg...did you have to..!?

Lol, it's all good. Thanks for the MATW update. Let us know how the film festivals pan out ;)

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2005, 3:27 pm

Welcome to WP Jerry ~ I've been looking forward to the movie for ages.

Any idea when it is coming out in the UK?

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2005, 3:41 pm

Asparval wrote:
Welcome to WP Jerry ~ I've been looking forward to the movie for ages.

You and me both!! It has been almost ten years since we wound up on the front page of the LA times and this whole thing began. Within days, we heard from six studio people and were doing lunch with Steven Spielberg, who eventually bought our life story rights, in June of 1996.

Any idea when it is coming out in the UK?

Probably late this year. I know that the director, Petter Naess, is from Norway and wants it to be seen in as many European nations as possible. He did a cool film, "Elling", about two men who moved out of an institution into an apartment and had a series of mishaps together.

Jerry "The whale" Newport

PS: Glad to be here too. Whale of a BBS

merien_took
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2005, 4:17 pm

I can't wait to see this movie! I hope "Mozart and the Whale" gets a decent release in the US. Even if I have to drive an hour or so to get to a large enough city, I definitely will. I laughed out loud at the part in the trailer where Josh Hartnett's character talks about the numbers 48, 84, and 24 because he said exactly what I was thinking. :lol:

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2005, 4:25 pm

I'm excited about this movie as well!! I live near two large cities so hopefully I will be able to see it right when it comes out!

Quote:
but I have no clue where the other sites get their "facts"; probably the same place Bush got his facts on Iraq's WMDs.

the garbage? :lol:

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2005, 6:21 pm

merien_took wrote:
I can't wait to see this movie! I hope "Mozart and the Whale" gets a decent release in the US. Even if I have to drive an hour or so to get to a large enough city, I definitely will. I laughed out loud at the part in the trailer where Josh Hartnett's character talks about the numbers 48, 84, and 24 because he said exactly what I was thinking. :lol:

Yeah, i wanna see it here in the states as well.
A

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2005, 10:41 am

I saw the trailer and am looking for the movie to be released. I hope it will be released in France, because I live there and I want to see this film.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2005, 2:03 pm

Hi Jerry. I definitely am looking forward to seeing the movie. I'm not a huge Josh Hartnett fan, but he seems to be a pretty good actor. Do you think the screen-writers and actors did a good job of capturing your personalities? Assuming you met them, it must have been weird talking to someone who was going to pretend to be you....

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2005, 5:04 pm

Jetson wrote:
Hi Jerry. I definitely am looking forward to seeing the movie. I'm not a huge Josh Hartnett fan, but he seems to be a pretty good actor. Do you think the screen-writers and actors did a good job of capturing your personalities?

I do. Josh had a former relationship who had an autistic cousin. That spurred his interest; enough that he turned a much bigger paycheck for 'Superman" to help find a director and other needed people for this movie. He does not look like me though I was much slimmer at his age than at present. He does a good job of showing the spirit of myself at that age. So does Radha Mitchell, who looks a lot more like Mary did when I met her.

Assuming you met them, it must have been weird talking to someone who was going to pretend to be you....

I was flattered more than anything else. I met both of the leads. Josh flew out to visit us in January 2004 with the director and a producer. I was on location in Spokane for a few days and talk to the people involved to this day. Mary didn't want to travel but she talked to Radha on the phone and it was constructive.

BTW, I notice that apparently, somebody has put the movie trailer on another site. I am not sure if the movie company would approve of that. If you want to keep up on the movie and see the trailier, just go to the official movie website at:

www.mozartandthewhale.com

Jerry Newport

alex
Developer
Developer

07 Mar 2005, 8:56 pm

TheWhale wrote:
BTW, I notice that apparently, somebody has put the movie trailer on another site. I am not sure if the movie company would approve of that. If you want to keep up on the movie and see the trailier, just go to the official movie website at:

www.mozartandthewhale.com

Jerry Newport

The trailer on our site is actually not really on our site. I made a link to a trailer hosted on a different site which apparently is run by the company producing the movie. I couldn't watch the high resolution quicktime of the trailer on the regular mozartandthewhale.com because it wouldn't load. If this is not permissable, I'd be happy to only link to the site that the trailer is hosted on, since it wouldn't make much difference.
Jetson wrote:
Josh had a former relationship who had an autistic cousin. That spurred his interest; enough that he turned a much bigger paycheck for 'Superman" to help find a director and other needed people for this movie. He does not look like me though I was much slimmer at his age than at present. He does a good job of showing the spirit of myself at that age. So does Radha Mitchell, who looks a lot more like Mary did when I met her.

Assuming you met them, it must have been weird talking to someone who was going to pretend to be you....

It is interesting that you mentioned superman. I am looking forward to this movie. I remember hearing about Josh Hartnett being turned down by one the new director of Superman (after one of the many director switches), but I hadn't made the connection until I read this. Interestingly enough, there have been a slew of directors for the movie, for some reason. Among these have been tim burton, kevin smith, brett ratner, mcg, bryan singer, and one other I can't think of.

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2005, 12:30 pm

Quote:
The trailer on our site is actually not really on our site. I made a link to a trailer hosted on a different site which apparently is run by the company producing the movie. I couldn't watch the high resolution quicktime of the trailer on the regular mozartandthewhale.com because it wouldn't load. If this is not permissable, I'd be happy to only link to the site that the trailer is hosted on, since it wouldn't make much difference.

Well, I don't have any problem with that, as long as people are going to the official movie site.

Jerry

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 12:49 pm

When is the movie coming out in the US?

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 12:52 pm

IMDB says October 21, 2005.

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2005, 2:03 pm

ghotistix wrote:
IMDB says October 21, 2005.

People, please, wake up :) IMDB is NOT the source for information on movie releases. It only pretends to be. It stands to reason that if you can't find a release date on the official site of a movie, then it has no release date yet.

That is the case here. Assuming that some distributor buys the movie this spring after the film festivals, it is usually about six months to a release or more. Probably fall or winter 2005 but for the moment, disregard anything you read about a release date on IMDB or any site other than the movie's official site.

That is true for ALL movies.

Jerry Newport